New Truck--Dependability

I have messed around with having older, used trucks for too long. Ready to step up to something more modern.

I almost purchased a Tundra back in 21, but was talked into holding off for their newer 22 model. The 22 Tundras dropped and now all I hear are horror stories.

I've read that Chevy and GMC have gone down hill too.

I've been looking at the F150 with the 5.0 V8. I've heard thats their most reliable engine.

Looking for input so I can narrow my search down.

Thanks!
Most of the issues have been worked out of the current tundras. I drive a 19 Tundra, it’s been flawless. I’d have no issues buying a 16-18 Tundra with 100k if it has had regular oil changes, I like 16-18 for the larger gas tank and tranny cooler. 19-21 do not have a tranny cooler, just a warming and sort of cooling puck, but you can add a tranny cooler.

Why anyone would buy a 1/2 ton truck with half the power at full size diesel prices is beyond me, but to each their own. Any of the newer diesels deleted and tuned will get near or over 20mpg hwy mileage with 35" tires. I've owned, and or been assigned a fleet vehicle of each in the last 8 years. The 6.7l Ford's (6 spd era) are by far less maintenance intensive than Dodge or Chevy, even left stock.

I've come to realize if you want absolute comfort and luxury, buy a Chevy. If you want a compromise between solid running gear and comfort, buy a Ford. If you want 1,000,000 miles out of the bottom end of the engine and don't care if all the power windows work, or the steering column falls apart driving down the road, buy Dodge/Ram.

I added Katskinz leather to mine a week after I bough it in August of 2019. 80k miles and 4 1/2 years later and it still looks new and a damp rag will clean them up easily.
Thanks! Haven’t seen those. Will have a look.

Why anyone would buy a 1/2 ton truck with half the power at full size diesel prices is beyond me, but to each their own. Any of the newer diesels deleted and tuned will get near or over 20mpg hwy mileage with 35" tires. I've owned, and or been assigned a fleet vehicle of each in the last 8 years. The 6.7l Ford's (6 spd era) are by far less maintenance intensive than Dodge or Chevy, even left stock.

I've come to realize if you want absolute comfort and luxury, buy a Chevy. If you want a compromise between solid running gear and comfort, buy a Ford. If you want 1,000,000 miles out of the bottom end of the engine and don't care if all the power windows work, or the steering column falls apart driving down the road, buy Dodge/Ram.
Agreed (except for the chevy part, 🌈)- My 2021 F250 6.7 DSL get's 19 MPG like clockwork with 37's. 60 gallon aftermarket fuel tank gets me 1,000+mile range.

Last edited:

i agree with alot of this. IMO, I would say the Cummins engines are less maintenance intrusive than either powerstroke or the duramax. You buy a Cummins engine and get a free dodge truck with it.

i currently have a GMC 2500 with the L5P duramax thats about to cross over 150k. SO FAR no issues. Truck is not deleted yet either. I have always had cummins before this truck but have been pleasantly surprised with how this duramax drives, pulls and so far, its reliability.

The reason I don't have a diesel anymore is because I don't tow over 12k, so the heavy duty trucks with gassers make more sense.
oh, and my Father-In-Laws fuel pump just went out on his Cummins, he's in $11,000 and some change so far... truck still in the shop. yikes

I had my 2020 Ram 1500 in for warranty 5 times and traded at 107k. 2023 Tundra is trouble free at 32k, and we’ll see how it does long term.

Buy the Ford. I’ve got more just like this. 214,000 plus. I’ve put a fuel pump and transmission lead frame.

The Toyota fellas will tell you their truck will last forever. Kinda curious about all that since everyone is talking about Toyotas from the last four years. But, it’s a Toyota. So, it’s gotta be better.

I prefer the 5.0 coyote over the EB motors. Because I like the v8. Buy one of these too if you like being pinned to the seat. The stock coyote is no joke. And is class leader in power, acceleration, etc…. However, With a tune, you better glue those dentures in.

Attachments

• IMG_4398.jpeg
    IMG_4398.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 32
I
Have you ever owned a modern Ram or are you just repeating "DODGE SUCKS" history?
have owned 2. 2017 1500 with a hemi and a 2020 2500 Cummins. Both purchased brand new and both constant problems and always in the dealership. I had a 2018 Tundra in between the two. Last year after the 4th trip to the dealer on my cummins, I hunted down a 2020 1794 with 10k miles on it - best decision I have ever made…

My friend is going to sell his 2020 Tundra Pro with around 40K on it. He loves it but wants to get a new Silverado 2500/3500 HD SRW to pull a larger 5th wheel camping trailer he wants to purchase....I told him that Tundra ain't going to cut it. I might buy it for my son. He never had any issues with it and it's still like new.

If you buy an older used truck, the $20-30k you save could buy a couple new engines and transmissions if necessary.

Trucks are like drawers, my friend.

Some dudes like boxers…some like briefs. Some like wool, some like cheap. Some may even like ass floss. Some go commando.

The point I’m trying to make: trucks are built by human beings(and AI)…..they’re made to break.

Some people get lucky. Never have an issue. But the next digit in the vin number may be a lemon.

I hesitate to even answer your question about dependability in trucks. Because everyone’s experience may be different. And I refuse to take part in online dick measuring contests. Just get the truck you want, take care of it doing the maintenance, and see how it goes. Don’t over analyze it.

Good luck!

I think all of the current trucks are about the same with respect to reliability. The issues are coming from government requirements for fuel economy and customer requests for modern technology. When you have to rapidly make changes for those two things you will see issues.

My suggestion...drive them all and pick the one you like best.

I have seen virtually zero issues with the 4 Rams I have owned since 2014. Two 3500s, a 1500, and now a Power Wagon. I keep buying them because they treat me well and I like the interiors.
It can’t be emphasized enough about the fuel mileage regulations leading to reliability problems. Everything is thinner, weaker, more compact, more plastic etc to save weight. Engines, transmissions, drivetrains, software have become very complex to squeeze out every last drop of fuel mileage. Regulations come so fast and so often it’s a wonder trucks run at all. Not to mention they are rolling computers so factor that in as well. And all of that accounts for the ridiculous prices too.

The reason I don't have a diesel anymore is because I don't tow over 12k, so the heavy duty trucks with gassers make more sense.
I see that justification all the time and it just doesn't math for me. You're still losing potentially 5+mpg unloaded, and a relative comparison a diesel will typically get 2x the mpg when pulling. Diesel will also likely have 2x the engine life (in a properly maintained comparison..), the difference in fuel cost isn't enough to wash it. That's how I add it up anyway.

oh, and my Father-In-Laws fuel pump just went out on his Cummins, he's in $11,000 and some change so far... truck still in the shop. yikes
Either he's getting absolutely hosed, or he had a CP4 grenade and that's not just a fuel pump, that's the entire fuel system from the first pump to the injectors. And while the CP4 has a bad reputation, you can typically avoid all issues with a lube additive. Every rig has weak points and it helps to know where they are and how to prevent them, but definitely some worse than others.

Back