New Video on Breaking Horses, by Jordan Budd

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
So my wife is a pro barrel racer (top 30 in the world from 2014-2017) and starts a lot of horses... I know this sight all too well and I know how those slams can hurt so much more than they look.

The main thing is the horse had a clean get away from you. The steps and kicks are normally what get you real hurt.

She just had me add 4” of sand to our round pen and I make her wear a helmet on the young ones these days. We have two young boys who need their Mom to stay alive!

Be safe!

MesaHorseCo.

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So my wife is a pro barrel racer (top 30 in the world from 2014-2017) and starts a lot of horses... I know this sight all too well and I know how those slams can hurt so much more than they look.

The main thing is the horse had a clean get away from you. The steps and kicks are normally what get you real hurt.

She just had me add 4” of sand to our round pen and I make her wear a helmet on the young ones these days. We have two young boys who need their Mom to stay alive!

Be safe!
You are exactly right. Those static slams are the ones that hurt. Your right about the clean getaway too. Here’s a pic of my thigh from a not clean get away. Funny, the part that’s not busted up in the pic is a perfect young horse hoof shape 🤔 Any other body part besides a thigh and a femur and that same stomp is a big problem!83B12ABE-76C8-4358-907F-BE480ECF448A.jpeg

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are exactly right. Those static slams are the ones that hurt. Your right about the clean getaway too. Here’s a pic of my thigh from a not clean get away. Funny, the part that’s not busted up in the pic is a perfect young horse hoof shape Any other body part besides a thigh and a femur and that same stomp is a big problem!View attachment 188900

Exactly! I don’t have a bruise yet but my right hip has been killing me because of it. Just a muscle bruised deal but damn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MesaHorseCo.

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Exactly! I don’t have a bruise yet but my right hip has been killing me because of it. Just a muscle bruised deal but damn!

Getting busted up is never fun. Comes with the territory I suppose, especially with the youngsters. Was that a colt in the video? I suppose I just assumed it was because of Robbie’s headline 😂

2rocky

WKR
Ha! I had a red roan when I was in college that was a little cold backed in the morning. I used him to lead trail rides and pack strings in the Eagle Cap Wilderness. The first ride out on Tuesday morning always got a show when I gave him Monday off.
1924241_1038438809907_5667_n.jpg

He turned out to be a damn good horse. A high school girl bought him did all the Rodeo events on him in Cottonwood, CA . the picture below was 2 years later.

1924241_1038434129790_2664_n.jpg

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Getting busted up is never fun. Comes with the territory I suppose, especially with the youngsters. Was that a colt in the video? I suppose I just assumed it was because of Robbie’s headline

He’s 3. Still a young one!

gpkhill2

FNG
That hurts to watch. I enjoy riding young ones till they do that. At 42 it hurts a lot more than it used too. I rode a big gray hancock gelding that came out of that western Nebraska country. He was a cold backed sucker till he was almost 10

MesaHorseCo.

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That hurts to watch. I enjoy riding young ones till they do that. At 42 it hurts a lot more than it used too. I rode a big gray hancock gelding that came out of that western Nebraska country. He was a cold backed sucker till he was almost 10
I’ve seen many a Hancock bred horse that acted exactly as you described. No fun, especially because they are usually pretty darn stout also.