New vs old mathews

Rbattles

FNG
Looking to get some input on if it’s worth paying the extra money for a mathews v3x or v3 vs saving money on a halon 32 or triax. Maybe even a helim or z7. Is it really worth that extra money? Or is there not that big of a difference in halon 32 vs v3 speed and draw cycle wise? Any help would be appreciated

Speed-wise, there's very little difference between the V-series bows (Vertix, VXR, V3, V3X) and a Triax or Halon with 6" brace height...all are around 340 fps IBO speed. Going a little older back to a single cam bow would put you in the the low-to-mid 330's for most models.

IMO the biggest advancement on the V-series is the Switchweight mod system, which gives you a draw weight range of 50 to 75 lbs just by swapping mods (don't have to swap limbs). But if you already know what draw weight you want and are okay with ≈10 lbs of limb bolt adjustability, V-series Switchweight mods won't be any better for you than the mod system used on the Triax/Halon.

OP
R

Rbattles

FNG
Speed-wise, there's very little difference between the V-series bows (Vertix, VXR, V3, V3X) and a Triax or Halon with 6" brace height...all are around 340 fps IBO speed. Going a little older back to a single cam bow would put you in the the low-to-mid 330's for most models.

IMO the biggest advancement on the V-series is the Switchweight mod system, which gives you a draw weight range of 50 to 75 lbs just by swapping mods (don't have to swap limbs). But if you already know what draw weight you want and are okay with ≈10 lbs of limb bolt adjustability, V-series Switchweight mods won't be any better for you than the mod system used on the Triax/Halon.
Thank you. That’s what I wanted to know. I’ve found a halon 32 loaded with what I want on it for the same price a bare v3 is. So I’m weighing my options

OP
R

Rbattles

FNG
For all it’s worth, I still shoot my old switchback xt out to 60 multiple times per week with a fixed four-pin. Hard to say what a newer one would really get me. It’s like a broken in pair of jeans.
I’ve never shot a switchback but have also wondered about one of them as well. I’ve never heard a bad thing on the switchback

rideold

WKR
I have a Triax and a V3. The Triax is my backup bow. I don't feel a ton of difference between the two but the V3 does seem a bit better in the draw cycle. I'm shooting a 60#/27" module. If I was looking for a used bow and there was a Triax and a V3 to choose from I'd choose the V3 unless the Triax was a couple hundred cheaper.

Just my opinion but I shoot the OG Switchy better than the Drenalin or Z7 not sure why. I stupidly sold my SBXT to my buddy but will get it back one day. If you can tolerate the the hunk of walnut grip, then the Switchback series is still a great bow to own. I still have mine 27.5" draw and 60#.

How is your arrow speed with a hunting arrow? I did find a good deal on a z7. I’ve never shot one though

I’m really not sure, never shot over a chronograph. But they don’t call it the slow-cam for nothing.

I shoot axis 340s at 28.5” with regular inserts and 125 heads. Bow is pretty quiet and easy to shoot.

My v3x, set at 70lbs, shoots a 500 grain arrow at 258fps. My son's Helium, set at 65lbs, that I stole from Scheels shoots a 475 grain arrow 253fps.

WKR
I'm still happily slumming an old Z9. Have heard the Switchbacks were very nice. I'd probably vote to buy one a few years old and setup.

Fjellvei

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you. That’s what I wanted to know. I’ve found a halon 32 loaded with what I want on it for the same price a bare v3 is. So I’m weighing my options
Last year I made same decision and took it to TAC 1 month later. Was extremely pleased with it. Got a decked out Halon for 500 shipped..... If you are in that ballpark on price I would do it and never look back!

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re completely new to archery then you won’t be able to notice a difference anyway. If this bow is solely for Whitetail Hunting then it won’t matter anyway. The real differences in these bows are negligible and are only really seen in experienced archers or ability to shoot more accurately and forgiving at further distances.

OP
R

Rbattles

FNG
Thanks everyone. You all helped me out. I ultimately bought a v3 31 because it was to good of a deal to pass up. I do appreciate all of your help

I’m assuming you’ve probably shot them both. What are your thoughts on how they compare? Is the v3x that much better?
I have shot his a little as it is left handed. I would say it is very comparable to the v3x. If it wasn't left handed it definitely would be my backup bow. The bow I really mis is my Z7. I should have never sold it.