Newberg says a $40 elk tag (or whatever it cost) is a $25,000 elk tag for residents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglasr

Lil-Rokslider
Found this…

Yeah, I’m pretty sure you could work at copper mountain, live in employee housing and get a resident license.

1jeds

FNG
A lot of people here are twisting this into a cost of living discussion, that isn't what Randy said. He said they took a pay cut, which is specific to his job and his situation. I personally moved out west, and did not take a pay cut. Anecdote works both ways.

A lot of people here are twisting this into a cost of living discussion, that isn't what Randy said. He said they took a pay cut, which is specific to his job and his situation. I personally moved out west, and did not take a pay cut. Anecdote works both ways.
The video said job pay cut, the OP’s comment stated paying more to live there. I guess both irrelevant discussions are up for debate.

180ls1

WKR

I think its reasonable to point out the potential issues on single/limited factor analysis when discussing these topics. Many people overweight the effects of income when it comes to affordability.

Yes, this is what he said. The part from the video when he said he was at the state legislature and the $12 tag at the time for a resident cost him $25k to be able to get the same tag as a resident when he moved to MT.

In other words, most residents don't realize how good they have it...

The thread title doesn't really match the OP.

2-Stix

WKR
I will take a huge pay cut when we move. Thats his point. I run a design build firm, average 100-200k a year. When we move I will make about 75k and work for someone full time with 2 weeks off, vs the 8 I take off and full flexablity. All of life has pros and cons.

By his point that elk tag will cost me 25-125k, ha.

Last edited:
I didn't listen/watch the Newberg stuff but it ain't that expensive to live in Cheyenne, Boise, Bozeman, insert any big blue city in Western states... It's not like every R hunter has to buy a place in Jackson Hole or something. Both my older boys lived in Cheyenne for several years, they made good money for what they did, one took a pay cut to get back to Texas and the other came back without a job lined up but he did end up making more with a lucky score I hooked him up with.

I limited my career opportunities by choosing to stay in Wyoming after earning an advanced degree. However, in the post-pandemic remote work era, opportunities have grown and career sacrifices are narrower.
I've been working 100% remotely since 2017, and that's one good thing that came of the whole pandemic panic is there's a LOT more remote opportunities across all industries now.

drdrop

FNG
I've been working 100% remotely since 2017, and that's one good thing that came of the whole pandemic panic is there's a LOT more remote opportunities across all industries now.
Agreed. The harsh reality is that not every industry/career can be remote. Another undesirable consequence is there is less holding people back on moving to formerly less inhabited areas, adding development pressures to the habitats we all care about.

ianpadron

WKR
Dang, the butt hurt is hard with this one….

I refuse to give Newberg a listen and boost his hits, but I believe the argument is in response to NR that complain their tag is 700 and a resident tag is 40. It’s really expensive to live in Colorado vs most other states, so you’re way better off paying an extra 660 dollars in tag vs buying a house, paying taxes, etc in Colorado.

Wow, someone with actual comprehension skills...impressive and refreshing tbh

"Good thing" would depend on who you ask. I lived/worked in a very rural area pre-plandemic. It was pleasant, quiet and very enjoyable. Because of seemingly EVERYONE's ability to work remote, all of our "public land owners" have decided they need to be here also.

Mike7

WKR
If you choose to live out of state, you can bitch and complain, but really that should have little to no effect on things in the end. As an out of state hunter, not purchasing expensive tags would speak loudest.

I enjoy visiting Montana from out of state to hike and hunt. Thank you Montana residents for making this affordable enough for me to do.

Residents of course vote for the idiots managing things and have the final say as they should.

chasewild

WKR
I refuse to give Newberg a listen and boost his hits, but I believe the argument is in response to NR that complain their tag is 700 and a resident tag is 40. It’s really expensive to live in Colorado vs most other states, so you’re way better off paying an extra 660 dollars in tag vs buying a house, paying taxes, etc in Colorado.
Agree.

Notably, HT has a thread on this. 24 pages!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.