Newbie bear hunter strategy

taskswap

WKR
I've been thinking of getting into bear this year, but although I have 3 points now I don't want to burn them yet because this will be my first year seriously pursuing it. I figured it was better to get a "practice year" out of the way first...

Over the past 3-4 years I've started collecting a lot more data and scouting likely bear areas and I believe I've found a solid spot where they hunker down at the beginning of elk rifle 1, not quite a den, but a quiet hollow that would make a great hideout. There are plenty of tracks in and out, it's at about 7200' with lots of gambel oak and service berry around, and I think it's worth exploring this fall to see if they're still there.

Playing the odds, would you say it's better to stalk that exact spot hoping to catch one on the way in or out? Or further out a ways along one of the trails they're using (there are only 3 so my odds wouldn't be too bad.) This is very dense brush so I wouldn't have much of a shooting lane, I'd have to be within say 50 yards at the longest, no matter where I end up...

colby12

WKR
The state that those 3 points are in will make a difference. If it only takes 3 points you may as well burn em and hunt rather than practice. Wind will more than likely decide for you whether you sit on a trail or on the spot. I’ve sat an area like you’re describing and shot a bear at 30 yards, I’ve sat the same area and had nothing come in.

OP
taskswap

taskswap

WKR
Good point, sorry, I should have said this is for Colorado. But while I don't disagree with you about the value of the points in general, I still don't think it's worth burning them this year. The "sit" I've picked out that I have the most data on is an OTC zone so I figured it would be a cheap, no-stress way to get a little more experience with bear hunting... Or are the draw zones really that much better?

colby12

WKR
If the unit is a zone that has a leftover tag usually that can be bought OTC, put in for a point first choice to then second choice as the unit you want. You’ll gain a point and still get the tag. Colorado is great because it’s cheap and there are a lot of bears. The draw areas I’ve watched have more private property and have found bears in 0 point units so I almost quit paying attention. I will build enough points to guarantee any unit I wanted and then just hunt the zero point units until I have a reason not to.