Newbie in Western WA

dboone3

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys.

I'm new to hunting out west and I'm wanting to go after a bear this fall. I'm in Western WA in the Issaquah area.

Any tips for a new black bear hunter? Or even better, someone that's willing to take a new hunter under their wings?

As far as the area close to Issaquah goes, can you hunt black bear with reasonable success in the tiger mountain area?

Thanks!

NRA4LIFE

WKR
One thing to keep in mind is the rifle use restrictions on your side of HY 18. No center fire rifles allowed for hunting. There are bears everywhere. Anywhere from the tiger mountain area to Snoqualmie pass and beyond holds a lot of bears. Do us all a favor and kill as many as you can. My neighbors and I are trying to figure out how to take one out that has been terrorizing our garbage cans (Maple Valley area). Neighbor has video of this monster on his security cams. I got him at 350 plus.

OP
D

dboone3

Lil-Rokslider
One thing to keep in mind is the rifle use restrictions on your side of HY 18. No center fire rifles allowed for hunting. There are bears everywhere. Anywhere from the tiger mountain area to Snoqualmie pass and beyond holds a lot of bears. Do us all a favor and kill as many as you can. My neighbors and I are trying to figure out how to take one out that has been terrorizing our garbage cans (Maple Valley area). Neighbor has video of this monster on his security cams. I got him at 350 plus.
Yeah, closer to me seems like archery would be the best option.

I've always wondered if the trash bears are worth harvesting or not. In terms of how the diet impacts the taste of the meat.

OP
D

dboone3

Lil-Rokslider
Never really thought of that. All the bears I've killed were either berry (WA) or donut eaters (WI).
Have you ever hunted Tiger? I'm worried all the hikers might impede hunting.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
No, have never bothered. Too crowded and too many people with dogs. The bears are are all around the houses on the west side of the mountain raiding bird feeders and garbage cans. Our best friends live up there.

Blacktocomm

Lil-Rokslider
Have you ever hunted Tiger? I'm worried all the hikers might impede hunting.
Well! fancy seeing you here again! I have seen 4 bears on Tiger, but 3 were a sow and 2 cubs, the other was a young bear and very small. I haven't seen a tanker on Tiger.

That said the area is full of them, you just have to be able to get into an area on Tiger that isn't full of people, and I am not sure those exist on Tiger anymore.

OP
D

dboone3

Lil-Rokslider
Well! fancy seeing you here again! I have seen 4 bears on Tiger, but 3 were a sow and 2 cubs, the other was a young bear and very small. I haven't seen a tanker on Tiger.

That said the area is full of them, you just have to be able to get into an area on Tiger that isn't full of people, and I am not sure those exist on Tiger anymore.
Yeah - I've done Poo Poo Point a few times and it's always crowded. I didn't know if I could find less crowded areas on the other side of the mountain or not.

Do you know where the best hunting access is near to Issaquah? The closer I can stay to here, the more I can get out and hunt.

Blacktocomm

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah - I've done Poo Poo Point a few times and it's always crowded. I didn't know if I could find less crowded areas on the other side of the mountain or not.

Do you know where the best hunting access is near to Issaquah? The closer I can stay to here, the more I can get out and hunt.
I actually am not sure near Issaquah. I know out towards Salmon La Sac and GMU 335 and 336 are close to Issaquah, but I have not hunted any of those areas.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Eddie

Blacktocomm

Lil-Rokslider
On the Tiger/Grand Ridge/Squak trail systems recently I have seen 6 different bears (one group was a set of mom and 2 cubs) between 600 to 1000 feet elevation.

Only Tiger is huntable by non-high powered rifle, but with season opening in under 2 weeks do with the elevation information what you will.

My strategy this year is to hit the berry line first thing in the morning, glass, and move the whole berry field for the first few hours of daylight while enjoying the beautiful views. Then head down the mountain mid-day to do some fly fishing (with my rifle of course), back up to the berry fields in the later afternoon till dark. Gonna be hot when it heats up this weekend!

Good luck!

Yeah, closer to me seems like archery would be the best option.

I've always wondered if the trash bears are worth harvesting or not. In terms of how the diet impacts the taste of the meat.
True, garbage bears and shoreline bears tend to take on that taste. Berry bears are the move if you can find some huckleberries. Render the fat and keep it in jars. Mmmmm.

Just get east of Hwy 18 and don't bother with Tiger mtn. There's a certain campground not too far from you that was closed last year for human/bear conflict issues...easy google search will get you started there.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with the WA State commission and their new proposal to completely take predator hunting off the table, but I imagine archery hunting Tiger Mountain is a great way to add fuel to their fire and make the local news if anything doesn't go perfect.