Newbie question

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
I’m fairly sure that I already know the answer to this question but I’m going to ask it anyway. I’m shooting an old colt targetsman recurve 48#@28 inches drawn to 29 inches with 340 spine gt hunter arrows, 100 grain brass inserts and so far shooting my wife’s 150 grain heads for her compound because my 200 grain heads got lost in shipping. I know I should be hugely over spined but the arrows are flying nice anyway... should I just forget about 200 grainers since the arrows fly good even though in my mind it can’t be right? Or should I go ahead with the 200 grain heads since 300 up front puts me more into that spine range?

sneaky

"DADDY"
I would find some 200gr field points and try those. How long are your shafts cut? I shoot 350 spine arrows out of my 53@30" Stalker drawn to 31". 100gr brass and 200gr heads. Have you bare shafted that bow yet? That'll show you right away if you are on the right track.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
F

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry 30 inch shafts and no not bare shafts but I shot it through paper while I tuned my compound and when I did my job had good tears.

MadDawg

Lil-Rokslider
I ran 340s with 200 grains up front, but I didn't have the 100 grain insert. I tore the deer up with them but when my feathers got wet, man they flew terrible. I would definitely shoot a broadhead before I made the final call

OP
F

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll get some feathers or trad vanes ordered and a helical clamp that way I can strip an arrow to bare shaft.

Tim G

FNG
340's are definitely going to be over spine for that bow and weight combination. When you go that stiff the arrow is not going through the paradox and is coming out of the bow like a steel rod. Yes it works but it's not going to give you consistency. I would start with 500 spine bare shafts cut to around 31 inches, shooting at around 10 yards. I'm assuming you are using a dacron string on that year bow, fast flight will likely cut right into the wood tips. I would strive for around 450 grain total arrow weight. If you get over 10 grains per pound the arrow will seem lethargic in flight. Staying around 9 grains per pound will give you nice energy and come off the bow very crisp.