Newbie’s First Scope, Deer/Elk in the West Leupold Freedom VX 3-9x40?

sndmn11

WKR
No one in this thread has said anything about having custom turrets cut (at the time you posted this comment). Leupold CDS scopes come with a standard MOA turret, custom turrets can be ordered if you wish to do so. I agree with you that custom turrets are limiting, but that's not what's being discussed here. I don't have any custom turrets even though I have several unredeemed codes. I use MOA turrets and drop charts, it's an unlimitedly flexible system, if you have the time...and I do.

Do they ship them now with a turret that has a zero stop? The few I had in the past had the MOA graduations, but no stop. I had them use the code for the same turret but with a stop...seemed a little silly to not come like that.

No, it was "Alaska Nonsense Hunting Monthly".
It's only going to be accurate for one bullet. It's for range queens.
You do understand that most hunters hunt the same animal(s) in the same location at the same time year after year, right?

Custom turrets make a lot of sense for a lot of hunters. But they are not ideal for all hunters in all situations.

I always chuckle when I see folks blast a custom turret but there’s only crickets when it applies to other forms of cheat sheets including ballistic applications.

Honestly, how many folks validate their ballistics when they get to their hunting spot? Seen lots of gear lists on this site but I do not recall ever seeing someone include a chronograph.

Antares

WKR
Do they ship them now with a turret that has a zero stop? The few I had in the past had the MOA graduations, but no stop. I had them use the code for the same turret but with a stop...seemed a little silly to not come like that.

Not sure about the Freedom series, but my VX3 and VX5-HD both came with zero stops. Both purchased in the last 2-3 years.

If you can I’d recommend a used VX2 4x12, or VX 3 3.5 x10 or 4.5x14 . If buying new I would try to find a deal on a 3.5x10 VX3i.
These are all very good scopes to just sight in at 100, know your drops out to 400 and go hunt .

Tried to do some digging on the VX Frreedom. It’s old VX2 glass with VX1 internals to keep the price reasonable as an entry level scope. Again doesn’t mean they won’t but my hesitation would be holding zero, especially with dialing. After the glass , markup for retail ,it doesn’t leave a ton of money for them to spend on the guts of the scope , which is by far the most important part.

Justinjs

Lil-Rokslider
Hang on now, @Justinjs. Let's try to focus one argument at a time.

There are a lot of types of hunting. If you're busting brush with a .30-30. The above statement is probably more true than not. However, I hunt open country and generally have plenty of time. I've shot lots of animals that were bedded at over 400 yards when I spotted them. You have plenty of time to range and dial, too much time sometimes... After 30-40 minutes lying on the rifle I'm usually like "OK dude, time to stand up. I'm getting bored here."

So, I was poking fun at Michigan because that may be a true statement if your hunting close stuff, but it's absolute nonsense for a lot of the west. Further, if you want to make a big generic statements based on "there was an article," get out in front of the criticism next time and link the article.

No one in this thread has said anything about having custom turrets cut (at the time you posted this comment). Leupold CDS scopes come with a standard MOA turret, custom turrets can be ordered if you wish to do so. I agree with you that custom turrets are limiting, but that's not what's being discussed here. I don't have any custom turrets even though I have several unredeemed codes. I use MOA turrets and drop charts, it's an unlimitedly flexible system, if you have the time...and I do.

You can simply not prefer a scope with an exposed turret, many people would agree with you. Heck, I don't like an exposed windage turret on a hunting rifle, so look at that, we're halfway to agreeing. Some people like reticle subtensions, some people like zeroing for MPBR, and some people like dialing...it's all good. It's mostly just your hyperbole that I'm pushing back on here.

Cheers!
Well, there's a lot that's lost in written words.

It's all a matter of opinion. Your comment was taken humorously, doesn't seem like mine was though.
It's my opinion that a newb would benefit from practice and experience before buying gear they may/may not like... I could care less what OP spends his money on.
I see the benefits of this set up. However, I'VE personally never seen a use for it.

Justinjs

Lil-Rokslider
You do understand that most hunters hunt the same animal(s) in the same location at the same time year after year, right?

Custom turrets make a lot of sense for a lot of hunters. But they are not ideal for all hunters in all situations.

I always chuckle when I see folks blast a custom turret but there’s only crickets when it applies to other forms of cheat sheets including ballistic applications.

Honestly, how many folks validate their ballistics when they get to their hunting spot? Seen lots of gear lists on this site but I do not recall ever seeing someone include a chronograph.
Hah. You guys will argue about anything.
See my above response, it's a matter of opinion.

If it is within your budget, I would recommend a VX-3HD in the 2.5-8x36 variety. It has the dial if you like and I have found the size is excellent with the shorter actions.

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
Buy a used VX 3i instead. I own a couple of VX Freedom scopes. One is on a .22 for my kids and the other is on my backup muzzle loader. The glass is OK. The fit, finish, and adjustments are marginal.

Few days late on this one. I looked at used prices on eBay for the VX-3i 3.5-10, all went over $400 once the bidding was said and done. Bought a new VX-3HD 3.5-10 and called it good.

The VX Freedom glass is the same as the previous VX-2 from what I understand, pretty good glass for a couple hundred bucks less than a VX3-HD. Despite my choice for my new scope, the VX Freedom would be a fine choice.

It's a good price point with a unconditional lifetime warranty in a scope it doesn't weigh as much as a brick. Many scopes that I may consider weigh well upwards of a pound and I don't have a use for that on a general purpose hunting rifle that I may carry for miles and miles and miles over the course of a week long elk hunt. Longest day this year was 14 miles, shortest day was 7 miles.

Truth be told I have a VX-IIc on one rifle which is going on 30 years old now. I bought it because I could afford it and it's never let me down. I have a VX-2 on another rifle, again it was the price point choice at the time and has never let me down.

Main thing I've discovered even with my 20 -30 year old Leupold scopes is I've never not been able to pick out an animal to make an ethical shot at the beginning or end of the day. Extreme light transmission has come about because Europeans are legal to hunt after dark. No big game that I'm aware of in the United States that would apply to this discussion have that as a legal method of take.

EdP

WKR
I think the VX-Freedom Tri MOA in 3x9 is an excellent choice for a .308. I have the 4-12 on a .280AI and like it a lot. The lower verticle crosshair has 10 hash marks evenly spaced at 1 MOA increments, with the 5th wider than the others. Sighted at 200 yds that should get you out to 500 yds with the .308 without ever touching the dial. 9x is fine at that distance for big game and gives a wider field of view than 12x. At 500 yds your .308 will be dropping below the energy needed for clean kills on big game if you go by the old 1000 ft-lb rule (for deer). So again, no need to dial. To me dialing is a young hunter's game, and being well past my 40s, I can't read a dial without putting on reading glasses, so I don't dial. As someone else pointed out, scopes in the price range of the VX-Freedom are not known for doing well at returning to zero with dialing. Given those considerations, get the VX-Freedom, sight it in for 200 yds, forget dialing and use the reticle to determine holdover at longer ranges.

Note: When using reticle holdover, the MOA values for the crosshair hash marks only apply at the specified magnification, usually the max magnification.

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
I’d look for a 6x fixed power. Either an older m8, or a used fx3. I have the fx3 and it is my favourite hunting scope.
Keeps everything simple. Sight in 2-3 inches high at 100, shoot some targets at ranges from 50-300 so you know your point of impact and good to go. Put that scope in good mounts and never have to worry about it.