Newfoundland Moose

tntrker

WKR
After 3 years of planning, my Newfoundland Moose hunt is completed. We flew in on Saturday, flying in from Atlanta via Toronto. The bags are checked thru to Deerlake. Rifles needed to be picked up at the “oversized baggage area” and taken to Canada Customs to declare. My friends bag was left off, the next morning, due to weight limit reached on the plane to Deer Lake and he received it Wednesday evening. I was looking for a 40”+ bull but on Thursday, I got set up overlooking this bog and got to call him my self. After about an hour, after a sequence of calls I hear him grunt above and across the bog. All I seen was legs and body moving quickly through the cutover and headed into the timber headed my way. Hearing him announcing his arrival, it took just a few mouth calls from my guide and he committed to entering the bog. 1 shot at 40yrds was all that was needed. The upward haul of meat commenced..
Heading back, arrival in Toronto you do not need to worry about baggage claim area at all, head straight to security/customs and show your Firearms Declarations form and you’ll be take to an area to point out your case so it can be inspected. We waisted time going and coming waiting at the baggage claim. Arrival in Atlanta showed friends rifle was still in Toronto. He got the shaft both ways on this trip. I also had gotten the “Global Entry” done for re-entering the US before-hand and zipped right through. Friend did not and had the flight not been delayed by an hour, the 2 1/2 hours we had for connecting flights would not have been long enough for him to get through. We arrived in Toronto at 7am and they were already backed up with 100’s of people waiting to get through.F97ABE0E-DF90-4C53-8C2B-7EF5CAF62023.jpegA8DBDF68-85C2-45BE-B4BE-09DBA3D73D0B.jpeg596A0995-29CE-4683-828D-7495F3E3076F.jpeg

Last edited:

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
We had the slow gun check experience in Montreal going there. Missed flight to Deer lake. Only 20 minutes in Toronto coming home 2 weeks ago.

Toronto, how long did you sit in the round room waiting for your name to go up on the board ?
That's the Air Canada holding pen.

Slecken

Lil-Rokslider
After 3 years of planning, my Newfoundland Moose hunt is completed. We flew in on Saturday, flying in from Atlanta via Toronto. The bags are checked thru to Deerlake. Rifles needed to be picked up at the “oversized baggage area” and taken to Canada Customs to declare. My friends bag was left off, the next morning, due to weight limit reached on the plane to Deer Lake and he received it Wednesday evening. I was looking for a 40”+ bull but on Thursday, I got set up overlooking this bog and got to call him my self. After about an hour, after a sequence of calls I hear him grunt above and across the bog. All I seen was legs and body moving quickly through the cutover and headed into the timber headed my way. Hearing him announcing his arrival, it took just a few mouth calls from my guide and he committed to entering the bog. 1 shot at 40yrds was all that was needed. The upward haul of meat commenced..
Heading back, arrival in Toronto you do not need to worry about baggage claim area at all, head straight to security/customs and show your Firearms Declarations form and you’ll be take to an area to point out your case so it can be inspected. We waisted time going and coming waiting at the baggage claim. Arrival in Atlanta showed friends rifle was still in Toronto. He got the shaft both ways on this trip. I also had gotten the “Global Entry” done for re-entering the US before-hand and zipped right through. Friend did not and had the flight not been delayed by an hour, the 2 1/2 hours we had for connecting flights would not have been long enough for him to get through. We arrived in Toronto at 7am and they were already backed up with 100’s of people waiting to get through.View attachment 336060View attachment 336053View attachment 336055
Congratulations. Nice bull.

OP
tntrker

tntrker

WKR
Bow or gun? Which outfitter. Good outfitter experience?
Rifle but friend and I both had 35 & 40 yrd shots. Another hunter there did caribou and moose hunt combo with bow. Got caribou but passed on a 70yrd shot at moose and never had another chance. Grand Lake Adventures had a great time, food & hunt.

OP
tntrker

tntrker

WKR
Toronto, how long did you sit in the round room waiting for your name to go up on the board ?
That's the Air Canada holding pen.
They were actually going by plane departure times as to who they chose to inspect. I was in there 30 min. they waited 30 min before my boarding time to call me and it took about 10-15 min..

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
Great moose! I made the same mistake and wasted about 30 minutes at the over sized bag area for my rifle.