NF NX8 4-32x50 F2 Mil

BenHankins

Lil-Rokslider
Received my NX8 yesterday. I do have to say I am really impressed with the glass in that scope! I put it side by side with my vortex razor LH 3-15x42 and was blown away by the difference in color and clarity. Did not think it would be that much difference. Now if I can just get over the extra weight. I’m a little concerned I won’t like it miles from the truck... I hear people say the ATACR glass is even better, can’t imagine but also don’t think I would like to add even more weight to the package. Surprisingly at 32 power it’s still pretty usable. Anyone else impressed with the glass on the NX8s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any more feedback on these?
How's shooting over 20x in various lighting?

Also thinking about a Mark 5 5-25x56. But this NF is the same weight and size but has a lot more zoom which would be slick for hunting the prairie.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Also thinking about a Mark 5 5-25x56. But this NF is the same weight and size but has a lot more zoom which would be slick for hunting the prairie.

I don’t see over 25x having any additional value in a hunting situation.

More magnification isn't always the right answer - especially for a hunting/practical rifle setup. I was shooting a 12" plate at 1,000 yards last week and could've went up to 25x, but I spent all my time on ~12 power and had zero problems.

The 5-25Mk5 would be good for a dedicated LR setup. The AMG is a good choice too & can be had for sub $2k. If you want to stick with NF, the 4-16 ATACR could be an option for you and you can find demo/used ones for ~$1,750 - $2,000.
I really like Leupold but everything I've bought have been more average hunting scopes. VX2's 3's and a 6. Kind of just being devil's advocate against going to a Loopy.

OP
BenHankins

BenHankins

Lil-Rokslider

I think the scope performs pretty good past 20x. Like others said lower magnification i shoot better for whatever reason. My old scope 10x was the sweet spot.

Now I have a gripe that I just realized tonight. At 4x my FOV is no greater than that of 5.5x. I thought something was going on because even though the glass was very clear the image didn’t seem big, it’s like your looking down a long tube instead of the image seemingly “right there”. When I zoomed the scope to 5.5-6 I noticed the FOV didn’t change. Maybe a lot of scopes are like this? Seems to me you might as well get a 5-25 scope. Idk.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

I have the 5-25 and 3.6-18. IMO, get the 3.6 to 18 MK5 for hunting. Its all you need and is nicely compact and lightish. I can work over vital sized steel at any hunting distance. Out to 800 I rarely use magnification over 15. The 5-25 is still a good choice.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
After this last year I put a value on a high top end, not for shooting, but ID. I was 2 seconds from burning my buck tag on a spike. A little more top end to check heads when shooting does is something I’ll have on my deer rifle from now on.
Makes sense, for that I ran a Kowa 553 spotter. I guess one option is to leave the spotter and go for more mag in the scope. I would have NX8 on the shortlist for that.

Lawnboi

WKR
Makes sense, for that I ran a Kowa 553 spotter. I guess one option is to leave the spotter and go for more mag in the scope. I would have NX8 on the shortlist for that.
Also carry a spotter, but things don’t always happen slow enough to pull it out. I got a 4-32 to go on my match rifle and am considering one for my hunting rifle now as well.

Iv also burned a buck tag on a spike thinking it was a doe, so I’m much more careful now.

ghostmoney

Lil-Rokslider
I have 2 nx8 4-32 on hunting rifles, previously ran atacr, but liked the idea of lighter scope and wasn’t going to run leupolds again. I compared the nx8 next to atacr side by side and couldn’t see enough difference in glass to justify price and extra weight. I also like the whole eyepiece not rotating like on the atacr.
4-32 is the way to go, doesn’t weigh more than 2.5-20 and 32x is handy when watching multiple animals to keep track of target animal without having to get off gun to look through spotter

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You have me curious about the benefit of going with a higher magnification.

How far off are you looking at animals and at what zoom with the NX8?

madcalfe

WKR
i was looking at the nx8's, leupold mk5, and kahles k3-18i last year. I ended up going with the kahles being even heavier at 32oz it definately added some weight to my sheep rifle. Scope, bipod, sling, and 3 rounds in it put its at 8lbs 7oz. i took it on 3 sheep hunts last year and it was manageable.
Although i just ordered a wildcat composite stock which is 17oz lighter than my current stock so i fixed the weight problem now and have a scope i can easily dial to 1100 yards and not have a concern about it not going back to zero.

Last edited:

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That's a solid build. Tell me about your sheep rifle that keeps it that light.

madcalfe

WKR
its a Christensen arms ridgeline in .300wsm with a wildcat composite stock, after market light weight alloy bolt shroud, spartan carbon bipod, kahles 3-18ki, titanium muzzel brake. Waiting for my stock to be bedded and will reweight it but should sit around 7lbs 5oz with new stock.

OP
BenHankins

BenHankins

Lil-Rokslider
its a Christensen arms ridgeline in .300wsm with a wildcat composite stock, after market light weight alloy bolt shroud, spartan carbon bipod, kahles 3-18ki, titanium muzzel brake. Waiting for my stock to be bedded and will reweight it but should sit around 7lbs 5oz with new stock.

That’s insane light man! Can you post some pics?