Night cat hammock tent.

As&8s

FNG
New guy here in search of some info. I’ve been looking at different tents, hammocks, and bivy set ups. I stumbled upon this night cat hammock tent that can be used on the ground as well. Has anyone used one or something similar?

Attachments

• 204030B4-1908-4AAE-91FC-18CD576945DF.jpeg
    204030B4-1908-4AAE-91FC-18CD576945DF.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 20
I haven’t used one, but the hammock is a little shorter than the typical 10-11ft. Interesting concept.

It would be cool if the poles could be used to turn the hammock into a bridge hammock which would be a better use for the sleeping pad integration. Maybe it’s awesome, but it strikes me as gimmicky and a little overweight.

OP
A

As&8s

FNG
Yeah I like the concept of it but the weight does put me off a little. Do you have any recommendations? I also found the helium bivy that’s on sale at the moment that weighs in at 15.8oz.

Do you already have a quilt and underquilt for a hammock? That might push you one way or the other.

I have an ENO Junglenest hammock. With a tarp, hammock, a handful of stakes, and the suspension, I'm under 3lb without using an ultralight tarp. If you already have and plan on using a sleeping pad instead of an underquilt so that you have the option to sleep on the ground, you could look for a double layer bridge hammock. It will be closer to the Night Cat weight, but you'll have a better hammock for sleeping with a pad. That way you'll also have a tarp that you can use for shade and to shelter gear under while camping in the rain.

Alternatively, a Big Agnes Tigerwall UL2 only weighs 2.5lb, and you might be able to find one discounted or used for a good price. Never messed around with the Helium bivy, mostly because I was worried about condensation with a bivy and wanted rain protection for my gear.

OP
A

As&8s

FNG
No I don’t I’ve been trying to decide on what to use. I’ve only bought my pack and boots so far.

I’m leaning more towards a hammock though. I like having the option to set up just about anywhere.

I think I’m gonna pass on the sleeping pad. I may opt to buy a little larger tarp just in case I have to set up on the ground. I think I could make it work by laying the tarp down first then using trekking poles to set up the hammock and have the tarp come back around to stay dry if it’s raining. Then just use the under quilt for a little extra padding if the situation arises.