Nightforce comparisons

jt4

WKR
Looking at a new scope to put on top of a t3x 30-06. I don't shoot long range - out to 400 in the field is it for me. I'd rather dial past 200 than hold over.

I've found the following 3 scopes for close enough to the same price to justify any of them and am wondering which to go with.

NXS 2.5-10x42 SFP Not sure if 10x would feel enough power
NXS 3.5-15x50 SFP This weighs more than the NX8 which has more magnification.
NX8 2.5-20x50 SFP Read a lot about the very finicky eyebox of this scope which is holding me off

I have a 1-8x and a 2.5-10x in 30mm tubes from Nightforce. Both are on a 556 rifle. I have never felt like I needed more magnification. I have taken both to 750yds with no issues and have no intentions on going any higher in magnification.

atmat

WKR
At 400 yards, you definitely do not need 10x. I’d be on 4-6x.

Based on that alone, I’d take the 2.5-10 out of your list. They’re great little scopes.

The 3-15 is more than you need. The NX8 does have a picky eyebox in the 2.5-20.

Over all of those I’d take an SWFA 3-9 or 6x. Or an SB 3-12

hunterjmj

WKR
I have the NX8 in 2.5X20 and love that scope. I've read where people have Had trouble getting the eye relief correct. I have a rail on my 300 and I didn't have much issue getting it set up. If you didn't have a rail I could definitely see having a problem.

I've read the same thing about finicky eye box with SHV scopes and I've never had an issue.

Of the OPs choices I take the NXS 2.5-10. I use a 30-06 similarly and have SHV 3-10. It's almost perfect for the rifle. (Nightforce, please make MIL/FFP version).

For 400 yards and in I'd take the 10x every time. It's smaller and lighter and still has all the functionality you could need.
I have the 15x NXS on my muzzy but I keep thinking about picking up the 10x for a lighter weight option.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
I've read the same thing about finicky eye box with SHV scopes and I've never had an issue.

Of the OPs choices I take the NXS 2.5-10. I use a 30-06 similarly and have SHV 3-10. It's almost perfect for the rifle. (Nightforce, please make MIL/FFP version).

...with a well designed hunting reticle...

Then the entire congregation said AMEN as they prayed to the patron saint of reliable dialing.

If you are talking about an actually hunting scope its hard not to like the NXS Compact in the reticle of your choice. I have these on my hunting rifles and so far have no complaints and they have worked 100%.

SDHNTR

WKR
You don’t need NXS for that. SHV serve ya just fine and save you a few duckets.

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
From your list I would get the 2.5-10 NXS, they are nice scopes. As SDHNTR stated the SHV is a solid scope and a little cheaper.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
And an exposed elevation turret.

Yes, I was thinking NXS and making the assumption, but the 3-10 SHV would benefit from zero stopped, exposed elevation turret.

A while back I had a friend trial/error a 3D printed, sand to fit elevation stop for the 3-10 SHV. It's not perfect but it is helpful. The MOAR gives windage hold options and the Forceplex can be used as a windage reference (both on 10x). ...still, it's an irksome work around.

The NXS or SHV #-10x42 with the FC-MIL or FC-DM, with the circle/dot either changed to just the dot or a fine illuminated crosshair would be usable.

I really liked the MOAR reticle on my SHV 3-10 until I learned about and tested MIL/FFP with the SHV 4.5-14. We're so close to getting the scope we want from Nightforce. They are obviously slow with creating new skews. Probably a good thing.

Kurts86

WKR
Get the NXS 2.5-10x42 for sure. It’s my favorite hunting scope and I shoot it out to 1,000 yards at the range without issue. It also doesn’t make lighter rifles too heavy as the NXS/NX8 50mm scopes do.

I have the FFP NX8 2.5-20 and it’s a cool scope in a hunting/target crossover sense but the reticle is not great on the low. I would never get a SFP 20x scope, too much shooting with that scope occurs from 8-12x and 20x in the field all but guarantees loss of target tracking.

Every Nightforce I have shot/owned has short eye relief and a narrower eyebox. I know the 2.5-20 NX8 has that reputation but it’s a downside across the NXS/NX8/SHV scopes I’ve owned.

SDHNTR

WKR
Get the NXS 2.5-10x42 for sure. It’s my favorite hunting scope and I shoot it out to 1,000 yards at the range without issue. It also doesn’t make lighter rifles too heavy as the NXS/NX8 50mm scopes do.

I have the FFP NX8 2.5-20 and it’s a cool scope in a hunting/target crossover sense but the reticle is not great on the low. I would never get a SFP 20x scope, too much shooting with that scope occurs from 8-12x and 20x in the field all but guarantees loss of target tracking.

Every Nightforce I have shot/owned has short eye relief and a narrower eyebox. I know the 2.5-20 NX8 has that reputation but it’s a downside across the NXS/NX8/SHV scopes I’ve owned.
The only Nightforce I’ve ever had any trouble getting behind is the NX 82.5–20. I think I’ve used all of the NXS versions and no trouble whatsoever with any of them. The NX8 4 to 32 is much more usable. I have zero problems using that scope in FFP for hunting, or the NXS 10X or 15 X max.

Jbuck

FNG
The NXS 2.5-10x42 is a goldilocks scope. I own a NX8 2.5-20, ATACR 4-16x42 and vortex 3-15 LHT. I've tried them all on my main deer hunting rifle and keep smaller NXS because it just works without the added bulk. Furthest shot I've taken on game was a deer at 468yds. This year was a buck at 381yds that would only show his head and neck through a small window.

I have steel set out to about 1300yds and have no issues, other then spotting misses past 900yds or so, with 10x max magnification.

I'm probably in the minority but I don't mind a SFP in this scope. If I'm shooting far enough to need holds I'm already on 10x.

I will also mention the FFP NX8 2.5-20 would be almost unusable in timber without the illumination on the lower power settings. I shot my elk last year with a rifle that had a NX8 2.5-20 on it. It was less then 15yds and would have been tough without the illumination on. Mine was in a group and only sticking its head above the others. Part of the reason they got so close. They were feeding walking towards me and couldn't get a clean shot.

SDHNTR

WKR
The NXS 2.5-10x42 is a goldilocks scope. I own a NX8 2.5-20, ATACR 4-16x42 and vortex 3-15 LHT. I've tried them all on my main deer hunting rifle and keep smaller NXS because it just works without the added bulk. Furthest shot I've taken on game was a deer at 468yds. This year was a buck at 381yds that would only show his head and neck through a small window.

I have steel set out to about 1300yds and have no issues, other then spotting misses past 900yds or so, with 10x max magnification.

I'm probably in the minority but I don't mind a SFP in this scope. If I'm shooting far enough to need holds I'm already on 10x.

I will also mention the FFP NX8 2.5-20 would be almost unusable in timber without the illumination on the lower power settings. I shot my elk last year with a rifle that had a NX8 2.5-20 on it. It was less then 15yds and would have been tough without the illumination on. Mine was in a group and only sticking its head above the others. Part of the reason they got so close. They were feeding walking towards me and couldn't get a clean shot.
I don’t mind that scope in SFP either!