Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50 F1 vs ATACR 4-16x42 F1

OP
B
You all have been awesome with the feedback. It is very helpful. I think im leaning toward the ATACR 4-16x42. I cant find it anywhere to check it out, but messed with a bigger ATACR again. I did get to compare a MK5 3.6-18 and an NX8 2.5-20 today. I do see where the MK5 is easier to get into and with a similar magnification range, I would imagine the ATACR 4-16 is similar. the MK5 is a very nice scope, but I will go with a nightforce and hopefully never worry about it losing zero or something coming loose. I do see the use of the NX8, and it is an amazing scope compared to what I have now. I just don't see the need for the higher magnification for what I will be using it for, the more I think about it. I want to check out the NX8 4-32 next, and see if I like it better than the 2.5-20.

I don't believe you, because you could easily sell the Atacr for enough money to buy another nx8
It's already mounted and I'm dying to shoot my new 6.5 Ember. I told my buddy that's looking to buy a NF that he can just buy me an NX8 and I'll give him this one, but if he takes too long I'll probably post it up here for sale.

jonnyviceroy

Lil-Rokslider
my personal experience with the NX8 has been rather good. A lot of the forums I’ve read I personally feel like a lot of people sell it short. I have the 4-32 and see a lot of talk about the eyebox and dof being absolutely terrible, but what I don’t see those people mention is they’re talking about it at full magnification. So in my actually used magnification range (12-16x) It has been very easy to get behind and eyebox is a nonissue that I haven’t ever even noticed. It definitely is tight at 32x, but so are many scopes at the top of their magnification range. I unfortunately also had an incident with a gun falling out of the truck and landing right on my turret on hard concrete from about 3.5 feet. In horror I picked up my gun only to realize the scope was completely fine. I took it back out shooting for a zero check and it hadn’t moved at all. So I do not think you would be disappointed at all in the NX8 especially coming from a 15 power scope where you aren’t even going to be using the top 12x of the scope most likely and will be in the 4-20 range 99% of the time.

JMFS

FNG
ATACR, buy once cry once. Even they are chunkier. I have the 5-25 and I wouldn’t hesitate to pick up the 4-16.

Xycod

Lil-Rokslider
This is largely a subjective matter. It’s not bad on a bench or controlled range situation. But in a rushed and/or contorted or less than ideal field position, it can be a challenge compared to a lot of other options. At least IMO.
Agree about the tight eyebox, for me it’s really the only negative I’d give the nx8, you definitely have to have a solid check position, especially when it gets late, the atcar is noticeably more forgiving in that aspect imo.

ATL

FNG
I like the entire eye piece rotates on the ATACR with magnification change. Grab the entire rear of the scope and twist it to where you want it, don’t have to find just a thin adjustment ring. The cover is easily adjusted to a position that does not interfere with bolt manipulation through the entire mag. range.

id_jon

WKR
I like the entire eye piece rotates on the ATACR with magnification change. Grab the entire rear of the scope and twist it to where you want it, don’t have to find just a thin adjustment ring. The cover is easily adjusted to a position that does not interfere with bolt manipulation through the entire mag. range.
Agreed. Especially with gloves on, its nice to be able to just grab the back and twist.

Why don’t you rotate the cap counter clockwise?

It's not a problem at the range.

When I'm in the field trying to get a a follow up on an animal and stay on target it becomes a two handed process and impossible without coming out of the scope. When I have my BOAL in the cross-hairs I don't need yet another thing to keep track of. Wait, can I run the bolt? Where is the lens cap? If I grab the zoom cap with my left hand while rotating the cap, did I actually grab and adjust the rear diopter focus instead? What if I want to zoom out again? Repeat the process.

If I were to hunt with this I'd need to leave the rear cap off and go with a scope cover or some Gerry-rigged crap. Having the lense cap all the way to the left to start with doesn't work either. On a $2500 scope. Give me a break.

The scope caps on nightforce already suck, but on their flagship model this is frustratingly stupid. I'll take the durability, but I wish they could learn how to do lens cap design from Leupold. The VX-6HD caps were so sweet...

Last edited:
OP
B
I think I am going to get the ATACR 4-16x42. I think from the info I have gotten from people that will work good for me. Nice and compact compared to the 4-32 x50.

Hello All,

I am trying to decide between these two. I have checked out the NX8 2.5-20x50 but have not been able to locate an ATACR 4-16x42. I like the MOAR reticle so that will be what I go with. This will be going on a Browning 7prc. I have an Athlon 2.5-15 on it currently and wanted to upgrade to something more bullet proof. I have shot 1000 yards with my current scope and never needed more magnification. For those who have experience with these can you please give me some comparisons and experiences? I have read that people fine the NX8 finiky to setup and get into the glass due to a tight eye box. Have you experienced that and is that an issue? Also, I typically like low power scopes, so I would wonder if 4 power is low enough for me on the ATACR. Any experience with any of that is appreciated. They are on sale currently so I wanted to make a decision pretty soon.

Thanks,

Joey
Love both scopes NX8 is my favorite lightweight and easy to shoot.

Nine Banger

Lil-Rokslider
same...
This 5-25 has noticeable tunneling at low mag. Weird effect I had never seen before. Not a deal breaker but weird.
Same...unobstructed view begins between 6-7x on mine. I leave it there when I put it up but it always seems inappropriate given the cost.

Last edited:
I am in the same boat and can get a used atacr for cheaper? only thing stopping me is the zoom factor on the 4x16.

I have only used ATACR 4-16 so it’s hard to comment on the other scopes. As for the swivel caps I don’t mind them. At the end of the day it’s what you familiar with over lots of reps. Can’t go wrong either way!