Nightforce NX8 mounting

ID_Matt

WKR
Building off a lone peak fuzion long action and wanting to go with a nightforce nx8 2.5-20 for the optic. I have read that mounting this scope on a long action can be tough to get good eye relief. Anybody mounted one on a long action pic rail? And have pics? What ring height?

OP
ID_Matt

ID_Matt

WKR
That’s tighter than a banjo. Is the eye box any better on the other models? What optic are you recommending in that price range?

They are tight especially if you don’t have a rail.
medium NF rings. They also have a shitty eyebox IMO.View attachment 242884

Yeah, looks like that could create some mounting constraints.
  1. Without a rail, objective bell might not allow you to mount it back far enough in rings
  2. With a rail might not be able to mount it back far enough without the objective bell hitting the rail (unless you use really high rings, which is less of a problem with an adjustable cheek piece).
I must have a short neck or something because it seems I frequently run up against the issue of not being able to mount the scope back far enough..

It irks me that the market desires these super short high erector range scopes that seem to cause way more problems than they solve. a NX5 with longer scope tube and more forgiving eyebox/parallax would be tits.

OP
ID_Matt

ID_Matt

WKR
So at that price range what do you guys think for the action I mentioned? Risk it with the 2.5-20? Go for the 4-32 NX8 FFP? Or take a gamble on a Mark 5 3.6-18?

davsco

WKR
Go for the 4-32 NX8 FFP?
i haven't looked thru the nx8 yet, but the prob with ffp is if you're way below max mag (ie at 10x on a 32x scope), the reticle is pretty thin. other than weight and cost (yeah, i know...), yeah the atacr looks like a good choice (decent magnification range, ffp, illum, great dialing and reticle).

Whisky

WKR
So at that price range what do you guys think for the action I mentioned? Risk it with the 2.5-20? Go for the 4-32 NX8 FFP? Or take a gamble on a Mark 5 3.6-18?

I'm in the exact same boat. Waiting to see the details on the new LRHS ish scope Bushnell is set to release in January.

The 2.5-20 NX8 WAS my #1 option, until I started doing more research. I also didn't intend to use a rail either.

i haven't looked thru the nx8 yet, but the prob with ffp is if you're way below max mag (ie at 10x on a 32x scope), the reticle is pretty thin. other than weight and cost (yeah, i know...), yeah the atacr looks like a good choice (decent magnification range, ffp, illum, great dialing and reticle).

Another reason high zoom ratio erectors are over-rated. Hard to get a balanced FFP reticle that works well at the top and bottom end and I sure as heck wouldn't want a SFP scope that needs to be on 32x for the reticle to be accurate.

If you're ok with unilluminated, the 3.6-18 Mk5 is a pretty good choice. If you are getting illumination, the price increase is too ridiculous. You can find used/demo 4-16 ATACRs in that $1,750 - $2,000 range, and that's what I think I would choose over the 4-32 and definitely over the 2.5-20 if you are sticking with NF.

@wind gypsy I completely agree: an NX5 (4-20 or 3-15 range) with 'traditional' geometry would be far more interesting than an ultra short with higher magnification ranges. Unless you have a specific reason for an ultra short (i.e. using a clip on, muzzle so close to objective bell that it may cause damage, etc.), there are way too many drawbacks compared to benefits.

There is the 3.5-15 NXS so maybe we're asking for something that is kind of out there.. I never got one because it was a little heavier and twice the price of a LRHS/LRTS.

There is the 3.5-15 NXS so maybe we're asking for something that is kind of out there.. I never got one because it was a little heavier and twice the price of a LRHS/LRTS.
That is a freaking sweet scope. I have one on my muzzleloader and for a hunting optic I've really liked it.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
That’s tighter than a banjo. Is the eye box any better on the other models? What optic are you recommending in that price range?
The Maven RS.3 is a scope I would look at. I've tried to break mine and it just keeps on tracking. It's a lot of scope for the money.

Not in that price range but my favorite hunting scope is the Swarovski X5 3.5x18.

ballbag

FNG
Building off a lone peak fuzion long action and wanting to go with a nightforce nx8 2.5-20 for the optic. I have read that mounting this scope on a long action can be tough to get good eye relief. Anybody mounted one on a long action pic rail? And have pics? What ring height?

I’ve just mounted one on a fierce .300 win mag with a Talley pic rail. Running NF Ultralite “low” rings. The clearance between the bell and rail and the raised part of the magnification ring and rail is almost nothing.
Luckily it seems to be right on for my fit but there is absolutely no movement possible with this ring height.... and I haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet.

arios2

FNG
So I found the same issue after I set my rifle up. I have arc m10 high rights that are 1.1 high and the scope is as far back as I can comfortably get it. sitting on a bighorn origin long action in 300 win mag. with extended scope rail. the scope bell is about a fingernails thickness off the rail. I'm 5'8 and getting behind the gun is just a hair uncomfortable but still very easy to get behind and be proficient. So far the compromise seems to be worth it given the scope is perfect for me in being compact, excellent glass, illuminated, lighter weight at under 30oz, and reticle is great!

IMG_0132.jpeg
IMG_0118.jpegIMG_0126.jpeg

Huntsalot

FNG
So I found the same issue after I set my rifle up. I have arc m10 high rights that are 1.1 high and the scope is as far back as I can comfortably get it. sitting on a bighorn origin long action in 300 win mag. with extended scope rail. the scope bell is about a fingernails thickness off the rail. I'm 5'8 and getting behind the gun is just a hair uncomfortable but still very easy to get behind and be proficient. So far the compromise seems to be worth it given the scope is perfect for me in being compact, excellent glass, illuminated, lighter weight at under 30oz, and reticle is great!

I love your setup. Would have it been possible to cut your rail shorter, to offer more room for lower rings? Whats your opinion on the BOG tripod? Thanks for your help.

arios2

FNG
I love your setup. Would have it been possible to cut your rail shorter, to offer more room for lower rings? Whats your opinion on the BOG tripod? Thanks for your help.
Yes, you can trim the rail your self or order one from bighorn and they will cut the rail to be flush with the recoil lug. Love the bog, for the price you can’t beat it, the death grip locks on to any rifle perfectly, it is a bit heavy at 8lbs, but at around $130 you can’t go wrong, and if it gets beat up you won’t complain.