Nikon Warranty Update

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We just received this update from Nikon:

From Nikon:

We wanted to make you aware of a change that will take place regarding Nikon Inc.’s Sport Optics product warranty program. After review, we have decided to make some program adjustments that will require changes to in-store, online and other marketing materials.

PROGRAM CHANGE: Nikon Inc.’s product warranty is changing from the current product warranty to the following:
Lifetime limited warranty for the optical system of Binoculars, Fieldscopes and Riflescopes;
Seven-year limited warranty for non-optical system components of Binoculars, Fieldscopes and Riflescopes;
One-year limited warranty for electrical components of Binoculars, Fieldscopes and Riflescopes.

The Five-year limited warranty on all components for Rangefinder and Red Dot/Reflex sight products remains the same.

Please note that going forward we are ending our No-Fault Repair Policy. Therefore, the new warranty program will not apply to any SRO product that is subjected to misuse, alteration or accident or for damage caused from unauthorized replacement parts, will require consumer proof of purchase from an authorized dealer/reseller and will not be transferable from one consumer to another.

rlmmarine

WKR
Thanks for the update, but after a monarch seven failed a few years ago they stopped going with me on out of state trips.

My next question is how does Nikon's warranty compare to Meopta, Swaro, Zeiss and Leica?

SWAROVSKI OPTIK offers a lifetime warranty on the optical system of our products for products purchased by US and Canadian residents from an authorized SWAROVSKI OPTIK North American dealer. Once examined, if it is determined that the optical system is defective we will repair or replace the instrument or defective part. SWAROVSKI OPTIK warrants all other parts of the instrument for ten years from date of purchase against defects in materials or workmanship, subject to normal use. All electronic components are warranted for two years against defects in materials and workmanship, subject to normal use, from date of purchase. All non-optical products (i.e. accessories, tripods etc.) are warranted for two years from date of purchase. This warranty is void if damage results from unauthorized repairs, accident, alteration, misuse, abuse, neglect, fire, flood or other acts of God.

In order to qualify for Meopta’s North American Lifetime Transferable Warranty, customers must register their new Meopta product within 30 days of purchase.
Meopta Sports Optics products are guaranteed to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for the life of the product.
In the event of malfunction or failure of your Meopta sports optic product, simply contact us at 800-828-8928 for a Return Authorization Number and return instructions. Please be advised that products returned to Meopta U.S.A., Inc. without a proper Return Authorization Number will not be accepted. Upon receipt of your properly returned product and confirmation that the malfunction or failure is a result of a defect covered by this warranty, Meopta shall, within 90 days of receipt and at its option, repair or replace the defective product. Any and all Meopta sports optics products sold outside the USA are not covered in any way under this warranty.
This warranty shall cover only defects arising under normal use. Meopta U.S.A., Inc. assumes no responsibility whatsoever for malfunctions, failures or defects resulting from misuse, abuse, neglect, alteration, modification, acts of God or repairs by any entity other than a Meopta Authorized Service Center.

Your ZEISS Sports Optics Optical System is warranted against defects in workmanship and materials for the life of the Product, subject to limitations below. The Optical System means (a) all the components between and inclusive of the optic’s objective and ocular lens, and (b) any functional and mechanical operating system associated with the optical performance of the Optical System.

Limited Warranty Conditions for Electronic Components:

Electronic components are warranted against defects in workmanship and materials for 5 years from the original date of manufacture or purchase.

Limited Warranty Conditions for Non-Optical System Components and Accessories:

"Non-optical system components and accessories, such as carrying straps, lens caps, rubber armoring, turret caps and other similar parts are warranted against defects in workmanship and materials for 1 year from the date of manufacture or purchase.
If a defect that is covered by this Warranty is found, ZEISS will, at its option, either repair or replace the Product with a new or reconditioned ZEISS product of comparable specifications."

ZEISS Sports Optics 5-Year No Fault Policy
for USA and Canada
Every product we make is backed by an industry leading, limited lifetime, transferable warranty (www.zeiss.com/us/warranty).
In addition to this warranty, ZEISS offers a 5-Year No-Fault Policy on select Victory and Conquest products. During the first five years of original ownership, ZEISS will, at its discretion, repair or replace your product if it is accidently damaged during normal and intended use.
This policy may be used once per product. If a “No-Fault” claim for a product has been settled, the policy for that product expires. However, the product remains covered under our Limited Lifetime Transferable Warranty.
The 5 Year No-Fault Policy is subject to the following terms and conditions:
  • The original owner must register the product online within 60 days of purchase (www.zeiss.com/us/productregistration).
  • This policy is an extended benefit and not a “warranty.”
  • This policy applies to select Victory and Conquest products only.
  • This policy is only valid for residents of the United States and Canada.
  • Products covered by this policy must be purchased from an Authorized ZEISS Dealer, located within the USA or Canada.
  • The policy is only available to the original owner of the product and is not transferable.
  • If damage is covered by this Policy, ZEISS will, at its option, subject to availability and without charge, either repair or replace the Product with a new or reconditioned ZEISS product of comparable specifications.
  • The owner is responsible for shipping the product to ZEISS.
  • ZEISS will cover the cost to ship the repaired or replaced product back to the owner via standard ground delivery.
  • Claims can be initiated online Product Repair Form, or by calling ZEISS Sports Optics Customer Service at 1-800-441-3005.
Conditions not covered under this policy include:
  • Normal wear and tear.
  • Superficial lens scratches that do not noticeably affect the product’s performance.
  • Damage determined to have been caused by unauthorized modification, misuse, abuse, or improper lens care
    www.zeiss.com/us/lenscare.
  • Loss or theft.

Couldn't find warranty info from Leica after a quick search.

IMO Nikon's warranty is in line with these major manufacturers.

OP
gr8fuldoug

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My next question is how does Nikon's warranty compare to Meopta, Swaro, Zeiss and Leica?

Couldn't find warranty info from Leica after a quick search.

IMO Nikon's warranty is in line with these major manufacturers.
Yes, it is very similar to the European mfg's warranties. No longer similar to the Pacific Rim mfg's.

ChrisAU

WKR
So we're all like, we want alpha-class optics for the lowest price possible, we want people to earn a living wage, we want fewer products outsourced to China, and we want no-fault transferable lifetime warranties. LOL

We just cannot be satisfied.

The issue here is what is the catalyst for this change? Do you think its because they want to lower prices? Or is it because their warranty policy has been costing them too much money?

The issue here is what is the catalyst for this change? Do you think its because they want to lower prices? Or is it because their warranty policy has been costing them too much money?
Fair question. Usually when you see this kind of change it's because they are being taken advantage of by people who think they should be able to buy a pair of binoculars one time, and then have them replaced with a new pair anytime they want, for the rest of their lives. LOL

jspradley

WKR
So we're all like, we want alpha-class optics for the lowest price possible, we want people to earn a living wage, we want fewer products outsourced to China, and we want no-fault transferable lifetime warranties. LOL

We just cannot be satisfied.

Welcome to 'Merica!!! We want it all but we sure as heck shouldn't have to pay for it!

JGRaider

WKR
Doesn't seem at all comparable to Zeiss, Swaro, or Meopta. All three of those offer lifetime transferable warranties, as does Leupold, Vortex, and Athlon. Leica's pathetic warranty doesn't transfer. Nikon's is bottom tier at best.

Jkling12

FNG
JGRaider, go back and read what I posted. Look for the word "transferable" and tell me how many manufacturers use that.
I’ve had Swarovski send me new ones after I told them I was not the original owner. They treated me great.

I’ve had Swarovski send me new ones after I told them I was not the original owner. They treated me great.
Yup, and I just had Nikon send me an invoice for zero $ for repairs to an old set of bins that I bought a week ago. Gotta love that kind of service. Still don't know how they can stay in business like that though.

joes3

FNG
Yikes. Was lookking at picking up a pair of their binoculars too. May just stickk with some vortex now for the bulletproof warranty.