NL Pure 8x32 vs NL Pure 8x42?

Hi Rokslide, I finally got to try Alpha Binos in person.

tl;dr - what in real world scenarios would the NL Pure 8x42 offer me when hunting that the 8x32 NL Pure couldn't offer? When testing, they both seemed virtually identical at very low light. Educate me.

-----

Though in store, we got a chance to take 3 alpha binos outside for 1 hour: 30 mins before - sunset - 30 mins after. We saw both good light and low light conditions, getting very close to last light.

We were looking across a harbour and a park approximately 0.5-1.5miles in distance.

I tried:
  • Kahles Helia S 10x42 (formerly SLC 10x42)
  • NL Pure 8x42
  • NL Pure 8x32
My going in bias was toward the Kahles. I thought they would be best price to quality ratio (bang for your buck) and my less experienced eyes would not be able to discern a noticeable difference against the more expensive NL's. I didn't want to like NL's.

I was wrong! I took my wife, a non-hunter but with an eye for detail in with me as a pseudo-control group.

We were both shocked by just how much better all NL's looked to our eyes vs the Kahles. Going from reasonable light to low light, the level of detail and resolution we could still make out with both NL's to us was shocking. It didn't feel like a slight difference but a signficant, pleasurable and easier-to-look-through difference; a worth-the-increase-in-price difference. Dang. Wish it wasn't. My poor wallet...

Objects we knew were there before were starting to get fuzzy and colours were getting muted with the Kahles, the hazier peripheral view was getting ignored by my eyes whilst with both NL's I still felt like I could make out detail like the number of stars on a flag a mile away, the colour of the stars, the time on a clock tower 1.5miles away and the shades of red and brown of bricks on a wall a mile away. I could also still take in the wide FOV all the way to the edge.

Where i am now struggling with is this - mot a general 8x32 vs 8x42 debate but a specific comparison of NL Pure's 8x32 and 8x42.

We both gravitated repeatedly to the NL PURE 8 X 32 for 'just one more look'.

I would've bet my bottom dollar we would like the 8x42 more, especially approaching last light but we really honestly couldn't tell a difference except for what felt like an ever-so-slightly wider FOV on the 42's.

This is speculation, but given we both have smaller hands, I suspect the ergonomics and shape of the 8x32's were easier for us to steady quicker than the 8x42 so in lower light to us it equalled out performance differences the extra 10mm objective may have offered. Off a tripod it may have been a different story. I would've sworn 8x42 would've been noticeably brighter or usable for longer. So here are some pros and cons:

NL Pure 8x32 pros:
  • AU$1000 cheaper for the alpha-est of alpha glass
  • noticeably lighter
  • easier to steadily one handed-glass with bow in other hand
  • steadier to use when out of breath or high heart rate
  • ergonomically more comfortable for me with my small hands
  • A FOV still wider than almost any 8x42 on market except NL Pure 8x42
  • I could still use at very, very low light
  • Can glass quite long distances still (relative to my likely use scenarios)
NL Pure 8x42 pros:
  • should theoretically be better in the lowest light conditions (I assume minutes before last light)
    • but I personally couldn't feel this. Does anybody have field experience with this occurring?
    • Is it perhaps more apparent off a tripod?
  • Slightly wider field of view
Please tell me if there are any other pros to consider for the 8x42's over the 8x32 NL's that I am overlooking?

Thanks in advance all!

P.S. I went in expecting to prefer extra 2x magnification of a 10x but the wider FOV of an 8x was so much more desirable in person than expected. As a rookie the way I would describe it is: I could see and identify everything with an 8x that I could with a 10x but with 10x it was just slightly bigger. But with an 8x I could see more at once and get a better picture of the direction I am looking rather than the object I am looking at. It was more fun to not be so tunnel-visioned, less constricting and quicker to get onto moving objects like birds, planes, etc.. Yes not apples to apples as it's slc vs nl pure but I did get a quick look at 12x42 and again that restrained FOV which was equal to the 10x SLC's confirmed the same thing. Bigger, but I was craving wider. my $0.02.

Bluto

WKR
No one?! Apologies OP, you probably thought this was going to be an informative post but I’m definitely seeking the same answer. I’m on the verge of kicking 10’s in favor of 8’s but it opens an entirely new can of worms.

Your question being the biggest, but also the 8.5x42 EL’s are also intriguing to me. (Except no weight savings over the 10x. Which seems like defeating some of the purpose.)

Hoping someone with 8x experience checks in here.

I have been watching this thread for a while too hoping for some insight from folks! I am intrigued by the 8x32s and have gone to a few sporting goods stores near my house and they never have any that I can put in my hands to formulate my own opinion.

I may be able to add to the confusion. I have EL 8x32s and SLC 10x42s. I will add a pair of NLs someday because I can't help myself.

I prefer the 10s for nearly everything. I do like treestand bowhunting with the 8x32 EL because they are pretty easy to one hand if needed while holding my bow. Of course, my rangefinder can almost fill this role.

The reason I think I prefer the 10s is how I typically spot game and twilight factor.

For my glassing, I almost always spot game unaided (naked eye) and use my glass for a better look. So more detail is desired over field of view because I'm already looking at the animal in the center of my view. When I'm out west, and doing true binocular surveys trying to spot an animal, I'm on a tripod, so I don't have any shaking issues and again prefer the extra detail. Other than tracking birds at home, this tripod survey scenario is the only one I can think of where I truly appreciate FOV

Twilight factor is typically ignored (certainly by bird forums) as a specification worth considering. But I've found it matters. My two Swaros have very similar exit pupil numbers. But the 10x42 has a higher twilight factor due to the higher magnification. In very low light, this can be the difference between making out a rack on a buck, and having the rack lost in the tree limbs.

So the answer is...buy three of four alpha binos, use them for a couple of years, and then sell the ones you don't need on rokslide. : )

If in direct comparison, outdoors, for some time, under varying light conditions, both you and your wife preferred the optics and handling characteristics of the NL Pure 8x32, what does it matter what anyone else thinks?

Seems you were very impressed with the NL Pure and want to be reassured that your preference of the 8x32 configuration makes sense. 8x vs 10x and 32mm vs 42mm are just preferences and some are better suited to different environments. What I would ask is how will you most often be using them? If mostly hand-held and often with one hand such as bowhunting in eastern or mid-western hardwoods then an 8x32 is a fine choice. But if mostly on a tripod picking apart landscapes in the mountains or plains, then a 10x42 is probably a wiser choice.

You asked about the advantages of a 8x42 vs 32. In the same optical design such as configurations of the NL Pure, Victory SF, etc, the 42mm will generally present a more deeply saturated image and an easier overall view. This might not be obvious at first glance but over time it will become a bit more noticeable (it’s just simple physics and light refraction). The trade-off is today’s 32mms can offer nearly as good optics in a smaller, handier package.

If bowhunting whitetails I’ll usually be seen with either my Zeiss FL 8x32 or my Monarch HG 8x42. But if hunting sheep it will be one of my 10x42s.

Bluto

WKR
Well said. After spending some time looking through some alpha and slightly under alpha glass, the concept that it’s purely subjective is even more obvious.

Your summary drives a question, curious as to your thoughts. My target is directly in the middle of your examples. Not lucky enough to hunt sheep, but not quite in the eastern thick hardwood for whitetail. Hunting the western states, but for elk and not mule deer.

Having a tough time with the 10 vs 8 decision, let alone objective size if I went 8 (hence my interest in this thread.)

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
Well said. After spending some time looking through some alpha and slightly under alpha glass, the concept that it’s purely subjective is even more obvious.

Your summary drives a question, curious as to your thoughts. My target is directly in the middle of your examples. Not lucky enough to hunt sheep, but not quite in the eastern thick hardwood for whitetail. Hunting the western states, but for elk and not mule deer.

Having a tough time with the 10 vs 8 decision, let alone objective size if I went 8 (hence my interest in this thread.)
I can’t speak to NL 32’s but for archery elk, I ditched my 8.5x42 El for a 8x33 years ago.

Not NL binos but I use the heck out of a 17 year old pair of Leica 8x32 (Non-HD) 19 oz binos. Tree standing, spot and stalk bears, elk hunting, hiking etc.

My other pair of hunting binos are Swarovision 10x42ELs....for sheep, deer, caribou, moose and mule deer....all with horn/antler or age restrictions in the areas I hunt in BC. They are optically superior to the old Leicas.

You probably can't go wrong with NL8x32's. Buy them, bet you love them! You can always supplement with other binos later, or sell them and buy another.

roesspg0

FNG
I just purchased a pair of NL 10x42s for a trip but NL 10x32s came in the 10x42 box. Long story short, I bought both and the 10x42s are on their way in the 10x32 box so I can do a side by side comparison. I was dead set on the 10x42s, but I do like the compactness and weight of the 10x32. I have a old pair of Swarovski 8x20s and while they have been great for their size, particularly with travel, the 10x32 is a meaningful upgrade. Anyway, I can report back.

roesspg0

FNG
Side by side, the 10x42s are brighter but only slightly. I did some dusk and dawn viewing of long range (400 yards) and close up (30 yards) and yes, the 10x42s are a touch brighter but given the extra weight and size it is a toss up on which I preferred. Ultimately, I would probably side with the 10x42s because you can't substitute for brightness but I was so undecided I gave two prices and let the buyer decide. They went with the 10x32s for price, I was happy with either option. I do like the forehead rest for the 10x42s. Helps steady and take some of the tension from my arms.

azdowns

FNG
I would go 42mm on the EL's

Now if your talking NL's they have a better field of view so 32 would be nice and small with good field of view and the 42s are even better. Its really a personal preference at this point. I owned the 12-50 EL's and sold them for the 12-42 NL's and absolutly love them. Nice and compact with lots of field of view with 12 power.

GlassSnob

FNG
Where/what are you hunting for? If you're out West glassing 500+ yards I can attest that the NLs are THE glass for finding game. I have the 12x42s and throw them on a tripod. I spot game (deer, coyote, rabbits, birds) at what seems like infinity, and sometimes MUCH further than I'm willing to make a stalk. One thing that sometimes get overlooked is just how good the depth of field is with the NLs. As you scan the terrain, it's rare that I really need to adjust the focus. It almost seems as if everything from 300 yds to 1000 yds is within focus. It's UNBELIEVABLE! I'd argue the glass is the best out there, full stop. And I own Ziess FLs too. I know this wasn't your exact question, but I wanted to share my thoughts. -Luke

GlassSnob

FNG
If in direct comparison, outdoors, for some time, under varying light conditions, both you and your wife preferred the optics and handling characteristics of the NL Pure 8x32, what does it matter what anyone else thinks?

Seems you were very impressed with the NL Pure and want to be reassured that your preference of the 8x32 configuration makes sense. 8x vs 10x and 32mm vs 42mm are just preferences and some are better suited to different environments. What I would ask is how will you most often be using them? If mostly hand-held and often with one hand such as bowhunting in eastern or mid-western hardwoods then an 8x32 is a fine choice. But if mostly on a tripod picking apart landscapes in the mountains or plains, then a 10x42 is probably a wiser choice.

You asked about the advantages of a 8x42 vs 32. In the same optical design such as configurations of the NL Pure, Victory SF, etc, the 42mm will generally present a more deeply saturated image and an easier overall view. This might not be obvious at first glance but over time it will become a bit more noticeable (it’s just simple physics and light refraction). The trade-off is today’s 32mms can offer nearly as good optics in a smaller, handier package.

If bowhunting whitetails I’ll usually be seen with either my Zeiss FL 8x32 or my Monarch HG 8x42. But if hunting sheep it will be one of my 10x42s.
What Spiral Horn said..... spot on.

dave3006

FNG
Great analysis
Hi Rokslide, I finally got to try Alpha Binos in person.

tl;dr - what in real world scenarios would the NL Pure 8x42 offer me when hunting that the 8x32 NL Pure couldn't offer? When testing, they both seemed virtually identical at very low light. Educate me.

-----

Though in store, we got a chance to take 3 alpha binos outside for 1 hour: 30 mins before - sunset - 30 mins after. We saw both good light and low light conditions, getting very close to last light.

We were looking across a harbour and a park approximately 0.5-1.5miles in distance.

I tried:
  • Kahles Helia S 10x42 (formerly SLC 10x42)
  • NL Pure 8x42
  • NL Pure 8x32
My going in bias was toward the Kahles. I thought they would be best price to quality ratio (bang for your buck) and my less experienced eyes would not be able to discern a noticeable difference against the more expensive NL's. I didn't want to like NL's.

I was wrong! I took my wife, a non-hunter but with an eye for detail in with me as a pseudo-control group.

We were both shocked by just how much better all NL's looked to our eyes vs the Kahles. Going from reasonable light to low light, the level of detail and resolution we could still make out with both NL's to us was shocking. It didn't feel like a slight difference but a signficant, pleasurable and easier-to-look-through difference; a worth-the-increase-in-price difference. Dang. Wish it wasn't. My poor wallet...

Objects we knew were there before were starting to get fuzzy and colours were getting muted with the Kahles, the hazier peripheral view was getting ignored by my eyes whilst with both NL's I still felt like I could make out detail like the number of stars on a flag a mile away, the colour of the stars, the time on a clock tower 1.5miles away and the shades of red and brown of bricks on a wall a mile away. I could also still take in the wide FOV all the way to the edge.

Where i am now struggling with is this - mot a general 8x32 vs 8x42 debate but a specific comparison of NL Pure's 8x32 and 8x42.

We both gravitated repeatedly to the NL PURE 8 X 32 for 'just one more look'.

I would've bet my bottom dollar we would like the 8x42 more, especially approaching last light but we really honestly couldn't tell a difference except for what felt like an ever-so-slightly wider FOV on the 42's.

This is speculation, but given we both have smaller hands, I suspect the ergonomics and shape of the 8x32's were easier for us to steady quicker than the 8x42 so in lower light to us it equalled out performance differences the extra 10mm objective may have offered. Off a tripod it may have been a different story. I would've sworn 8x42 would've been noticeably brighter or usable for longer. So here are some pros and cons:

NL Pure 8x32 pros:
  • AU$1000 cheaper for the alpha-est of alpha glass
  • noticeably lighter
  • easier to steadily one handed-glass with bow in other hand
  • steadier to use when out of breath or high heart rate
  • ergonomically more comfortable for me with my small hands
  • A FOV still wider than almost any 8x42 on market except NL Pure 8x42
  • I could still use at very, very low light
  • Can glass quite long distances still (relative to my likely use scenarios)
NL Pure 8x42 pros:
  • should theoretically be better in the lowest light conditions (I assume minutes before last light)
    • but I personally couldn't feel this. Does anybody have field experience with this occurring?
    • Is it perhaps more apparent off a tripod?
  • Slightly wider field of view
Please tell me if there are any other pros to consider for the 8x42's over the 8x32 NL's that I am overlooking?

Thanks in advance all!

P.S. I went in expecting to prefer extra 2x magnification of a 10x but the wider FOV of an 8x was so much more desirable in person than expected. As a rookie the way I would describe it is: I could see and identify everything with an 8x that I could with a 10x but with 10x it was just slightly bigger. But with an 8x I could see more at once and get a better picture of the direction I am looking rather than the object I am looking at. It was more fun to not be so tunnel-visioned, less constricting and quicker to get onto moving objects like birds, planes, etc.. Yes not apples to apples as it's slc vs nl pure but I did get a quick look at 12x42 and again that restrained FOV which was equal to the 10x SLC's confirmed the same thing. Bigger, but I was craving wider. my $0.02.
great analysis

wiz329

FNG
Where/what are you hunting for? If you're out West glassing 500+ yards I can attest that the NLs are THE glass for finding game. I have the 12x42s and throw them on a tripod. I spot game (deer, coyote, rabbits, birds) at what seems like infinity, and sometimes MUCH further than I'm willing to make a stalk. One thing that sometimes get overlooked is just how good the depth of field is with the NLs. As you scan the terrain, it's rare that I really need to adjust the focus. It almost seems as if everything from 300 yds to 1000 yds is within focus. It's UNBELIEVABLE! I'd argue the glass is the best out there, full stop. And I own Ziess FLs too. I know this wasn't your exact question, but I wanted to share my thoughts. -Luke
This is super helpful, may sway me towards the 12x. How are these as hand-held? Do you have the forehead rest?

This is super helpful, may sway me towards the 12x. How are these as hand-held? Do you have the forehead rest?

They're great offhand, I've owned numerous high magnification binos including EL 12x50 and none of them have worked as well off hand as these. Hand held image shake is easily as minimal as the EL10x42's and the FOV is even better. I've stopped carrying my EL8.5x42's on my chest and just carry the NL 12's because of how good the image is offhand and the FOV. It allows me to see a lot more stuff than I do with the 8.5's even in the woods.

If you're looking to buy new give Jason and Euro Optic a call and tell him I sent you. He'll give you a very nice discount. I got mine for only a little more than used ones were going for which is peace of mind when you're dropping $3K OTD on binos.

wiz329

FNG
They're great offhand, I've owned numerous high magnification binos including EL 12x50 and none of them have worked as well off hand as these. Hand held image shake is easily as minimal as the EL10x42's and the FOV is even better. I've stopped carrying my EL8.5x42's on my chest and just carry the NL 12's because of how good the image is offhand and the FOV. It allows me to see a lot more stuff than I do with the 8.5's even in the woods.

If you're looking to buy new give Jason and Euro Optic a call and tell him I sent you. He'll give you a very nice discount. I got mine for only a little more than used ones were going for which is peace of mind when you're dropping $3K OTD on binos.
Just got a demo BTW 65mm from them. Will they be able to get down to $3k new?

Just got a demo BTW 65mm from them. Will they be able to get down to $3k new?

Call and talk to Jason, a lot of it depends on where it's going because of sales tax. You could live somewhere where there's no sales tax or somewhere that its 10%.