NL Pure 8x32 vs NL Pure 8x42?

GlassSnob

FNG
This is super helpful, may sway me towards the 12x. How are these as hand-held? Do you have the forehead rest?
Anything above 10x is generally too much power to hand hold. I've gotten away with sitting and stabilizing them, but only for a quick peek at something. I don't own the forehead rest mainly because I always use them on a tripod.

FlyGuy

WKR
I would go with the 8x32. I have a pair of 8x32 EL’s that I absolutely love. I also have a pair of 12x42 NL’s that I think are incredible for open country, big glassing hunts. But archery elk in the timber, the 8x32 can’t be beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I personally felt the 12x42s were a little shaky, not horrible, but more than I would like. FOV was impressive compared to lesser models. I returned them and will most likely settle on the 8 or 10s. 10s are appealing as they give the same FOV as the el8x42s...impressive.

dwhicker

FNG
I would go 42mm on the EL's

Now if your talking NL's they have a better field of view so 32 would be nice and small with good field of view and the 42s are even better. Its really a personal preference at this point. I owned the 12-50 EL's and sold them for the 12-42 NL's and absolutly love them. Nice and compact with lots of field of view with 12 power.

Any downside to the. 12’s that you’ve found? Really debating between those and the 10’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
One thing that's important to me, but maybe not so important to others, is how they feel in my hands. If I love the feel of them I can sacrifice 4 minutes of daylight, especially since where I hunt if it's that dark I don't have enough time to do a stalk before it's too late.

If you handhold way more than tripod go 8x or 10x
If you put your nocs on a tripod way more than handholding go 12x.
Once I understood how much more game I spot with a tripod I rarely handhold.
If you want 8x go 8x42 for open country but if in timber/archery 8x32 being smaller might be the ticket.

wiz329

FNG
Any downside to the. 12’s that you’ve found? Really debating between those and the 10’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I ended up getting 8x, 10x, and 12x all in 42mm. I was expecting to lean towards the 12x myself. Haven't been hunting with them yet, but my wife strongly prefers the 8x for general nature viewing. Easier target acquision and larger FOV. I think if I could only choose one, I would go 10x. As is, we sold the 10x, and are keeping the 8x and 12x. The way I'd describe the difference is that the 8x are just much easier to use. Exit pupil is more forgiving, you don't have to hold them quite as steady, and they just appear a little brighter (to my eyes). But 12x will definitely get you more detail (especially on a tripod), but they're just harder to use to get that detail.

I am thinking of trading the 8x42 for a 8x32, but want to compare both first.

I ended up getting 8x, 10x, and 12x all in 42mm. I was expecting to lean towards the 12x myself. Haven't been hunting with them yet, but my wife strongly prefers the 8x for general nature viewing. Easier target acquision and larger FOV. I think if I could only choose one, I would go 10x. As is, we sold the 10x, and are keeping the 8x and 12x. The way I'd describe the difference is that the 8x are just much easier to use. Exit pupil is more forgiving, you don't have to hold them quite as steady, and they just appear a little brighter (to my eyes). But 12x will definitely get you more detail (especially on a tripod), but they're just harder to use to get that detail.

I am thinking of trading the 8x42 for a 8x32, but want to compare both first.
I spoke with Ryan at Outdoorsman yesterday on the same topic, 8x42 vs. 8x32, he has both and has done a side-by-side. He strongly prefers the 8x42 but states for elk/timber hunting 8x32 being smaller might be better for that purpose. He wanted to like the 8x32 because they are smaller but the difference in brightness was the deciding factor in favor of the 8x42.
FWIW