NM New Minimum Age to Hunt

That’s awesome Felix! They don’t offer youth encouragement tags in my home unit. We go to a unit we have been archery hunting since the mid to late 80’s. There was a lot of snow and we only found 10 elk when this area will usually hold a lot more wintering elk. My son was about ready to squeeze off on one but it ended up being a spike. Next one in line was a spike as well, then a 3x4. We made a really long stalk on them and the cows had gone over the ridge right when we got to our shooting position. Dang it! After that my boy got sick and we had to come home. He was a little sick before that but he toughed it out till it got worse.

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
Age of kids hunting is a slippery slope. All 3 of my kids are in sports but they also like to hunt and fish because I took them out with me doing those things. They couldn’t hunt big game but we did rabbits and coyotes. We fished in ponds and lakes. Then graduated to streams and rivers. We shoot rifles and bows year round. The interest will always be there if we as the parents help to keep it there. Doesn’t mean we focus solely on hunting or sports. Like it was said before. Each kid is different so activities have to change for each one. I know because I almost lost my son to going hunting because I pushed him harder than I should have. Found out he was scared of the recoil of a rifle so I had to drop down from my 270 to a 25-06 and had him shoot off a led slead first. Went to normal shooting off a tripod after that and all he wants now is his own “big” rifle. Lol I took him out 4 days on my archery elk hunt last year and he loved it. He wasn’t holding the license but he got to experience everything about it.

What I’m more concerned about is the lack of tags actually available for youth only. The other problem is drawing those tags on a regular basis. I can’t afford to buy landowner tags, even for a cow elk. I also wish the youth hunts weren’t happening at the same time as a regular hunt. They each should have their own time.
^^^This^^^

First time I remember going "hunting" (such as it was!), I was 3 years old!
First time dad and grampa took me "hunting", I was 6 and it was dove season.
I'm 73 today. Pop and grampa are both gone.
I have no brothers.
No sons.
Both kids are LEO's. They were introduced to guns at a young age...and even hunting. It just isn't something that piqued their interest.
But they DO love guns!

"The best laid plans of mice and men.....!"

CMF

WKR
What I’m more concerned about is the lack of tags actually available for youth only. The other problem is drawing those tags on a regular basis. I can’t afford to buy landowner tags, even for a cow elk. I also wish the youth hunts weren’t happening at the same time as a regular hunt. They each should have their own time.
Agree! Most of the hunts we applied for were not even youth hunts. I'm not sure of the R odds, but for NR most of the NR youth tags have worse odds than many adult hunts. Even if they're just antlerless hunts. I think they could probably change some ES tags to MB tags and offer a few more F tags to youth. Or maybe guarantee X percentage to youth.

CMF

WKR
Before anyone says there are plenty touth opportunities if you just look and plan, it isn't always that simple.

Beyond popular belief, not everyone has "unlimited" funds, time, or ability to chase youth opportunities from wherever.

Many rely on their home state. Without the chance to go for big game and fill a tag, the interest can be easily lost.
I don't believe there are enough youth-specific opportunities in most states, especially out west.

We do have it pretty good in the southeast since we're not on a tag system and the bag limit on whitetail is 3 bucks/5 does. The kids always have an opportunity at least.

If you're in NM, CO isn't too far and they do have reduced-priced tags for NR youth. I think it's like less than $120 for elk.

Without the chance to go for big game and fill a tag, the interest can be easily lost.
That is why I think we shouldn't put age limits on it and let the parents decide. Sure if my 10yo was older and had more shooting experience we would have had a bull down at 350yd, but we stuck to a shorter range, and spent the week hunting for another opportunity. I take them with me on my hunts sometimes, but it's a way different experience for them when they know they have a tag.

If you're in NM, CO isn't too far and they do have reduced-priced tags for NR youth. I think it's like less than $120 for elk.

most hunts available in CO close to the border are on private ground, the ones on public are less than steller. The same outcome can happen with youth keeping an interest with lack of opportunity to see elk and fill a tag.

For all the "eye-rollers" out there reacting to my statement, properly "teaching" youth there's more to hunting than filling a tag isn't honest with themselves. For a youth and hunting, it's all about filling or having the opportunity to fill the tag. The rest of that utopian nonsense comes later...

UpNorth89

Lil-Rokslider
Watched a video the other day of a 6 year old boy that shot a really nice bighorn sheep in NM. Dad set him up, worked the bolt for him, put the bullet in, closed the bolt, safety on. When the shot was ready the dad then took the safety off for him. The kid did make a nice shot but had no reaction. No excitement, no smiles, nothing. Dad kept asking him if he was excited and the young boy would just “yeah” and that’s it. He didn’t fully understand what he was doing or what happened.

This is a prime example of why there should be a minimum age and a proficiency test. If the dad or whoever needs to set up and do everything with the gun other than pull the trigger the kid has no business hunting at all until they're capable of handling the firearm themselves.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
Age of kids hunting is a slippery slope. All 3 of my kids are in sports but they also like to hunt and fish because I took them out with me doing those things. They couldn’t hunt big game but we did rabbits and coyotes. We fished in ponds and lakes. Then graduated to streams and rivers. We shoot rifles and bows year round. The interest will always be there if we as the parents help to keep it there. Doesn’t mean we focus solely on hunting or sports. Like it was said before. Each kid is different so activities have to change for each one. I know because I almost lost my son to going hunting because I pushed him harder than I should have. Found out he was scared of the recoil of a rifle so I had to drop down from my 270 to a 25-06 and had him shoot off a led slead first. Went to normal shooting off a tripod after that and all he wants now is his own “big” rifle. Lol I took him out 4 days on my archery elk hunt last year and he loved it. He wasn’t holding the license but he got to experience everything about it.

^^^This^^^

First time I remember going "hunting" (such as it was!), I was 3 years old!
First time dad and grampa took me "hunting", I was 6 and it was dove season.
I'm 73 today. Pop and grampa are both gone.
I have no brothers.
No sons.
Both kids are LEO's. They were introduced to guns at a young age...and even hunting. It just isn't something that piqued their interest.
But they DO love guns!

"The best laid plans of mice and men.....!"

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
"... For all the "eye-rollers" out there reacting to my statement, properly "teaching" youth there's more to hunting than filling a tag isn't honest with themselves. For a youth and hunting, it's all about filling or having the opportunity to fill the tag. The rest of that utopian nonsense comes later... ..."

As a kid, I was started on "small game". Heck, even all the kids in my grade at school were started on small game. There were a few whose parents had access to ag crops that had taken deer, but for the most part, small game was the ticket.
By age 6, I was killing dove and squirrels. Not alot, but enough to keep me interested and wanting to continue hunting.
I was 17 before I finally killed a deer, but I never lost interest in hunting.

I also didn't just go out and start dragging in 10 pound bass!
I was started on blue gills and cherry gills with a cane pole. Later, I got a rod and reel and got to cast for bass. My first "monster" was a 3 pounder! I thought it was Moby Dick!

It's like building a fire. Even if you want a bonfire, start small, think big!

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
My son is 8 and has an active CO hunters safety. I was just able to login to his account and apply for big game tags. To apply for big game you have to purchase the hunting license first and there was no problem at all with this on my end. From the OP is sounded like they locked the accounts but it clearly states his saved age and hunters safety number and no issues with applying.

"... For all the "eye-rollers" out there reacting to my statement, properly "teaching" youth there's more to hunting than filling a tag isn't honest with themselves. For a youth and hunting, it's all about filling or having the opportunity to fill the tag. The rest of that utopian nonsense comes later... ..."

As a kid, I was started on "small game". Heck, even all the kids in my grade at school were started on small game. There were a few whose parents had access to ag crops that had taken deer, but for the most part, small game was the ticket.
By age 6, I was killing dove and squirrels. Not alot, but enough to keep me interested and wanting to continue hunting.
I was 17 before I finally killed a deer, but I never lost interest in hunting.

I also didn't just go out and start dragging in 10 pound bass!
I was started on blue gills and cherry gills with a cane pole. Later, I got a rod and reel and got to cast for bass. My first "monster" was a 3 pounder! I thought it was Moby Dick!

It's like building a fire. Even if you want a bonfire, start small, think big!

But you were going out on your own and shooting things...

If all you were able to do was hunt deer and that's it, would that bonfire be roaring without so much as a spark to first get the kindling going?

This is a prime example of why there should be a minimum age and a proficiency test. If the dad or whoever needs to set up and do everything with the gun other than pull the trigger the kid has no business hunting at all until they're capable of handling the firearm themselves.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
I've seen a lot of videos of adult women where their husband or father had to do everything but pull the trigger. For some reason we are supposed to view that differently.

easttex

Lil-Rokslider
In fifty years New Mexico has moved from one of the best to one of, if not the worst when it comes to game management. But at least they are consistent with the rest of their politics.

WCB

WKR
What a cluster....here in MN 9 and younger can not hunt big game
Small Game 13 and under no license must be accompanied and adult must be licensed, 14 and 15 hunt on own no license required.
For Turkey 12 and under reduce cost license, must be accompanied, parent must have gun safety if child doesn't and adult must be licensed to carry a weapon.

Sorry no offense for all the squirrel hunters out there...but small game is meant for kids. How do you not allow kids to hunt small game even on the parents/adults license.

What a cluster....here in MN 9 and younger can not hunt big game
Small Game 13 and under no license must be accompanied and adult must be licensed, 14 and 15 hunt on own no license required.
For Turkey 12 and under reduce cost license, must be accompanied, parent must have gun safety if child doesn't and adult must be licensed to carry a weapon.

Sorry no offense for all the squirrel hunters out there...but small game is meant for kids. How do you not allow kids to hunt small game even on the parents/adults license.

Upland bird and waterfowlers would argue that small game is NOT just for kids....