NM Oryx 2022

Brent

Lil-Rokslider
About a month ago I got a call from New Mexico Game and Fish notifying me that they selected my name for a one day oryx population management opportunity on the Dona Ana range complex near WSMR. Without hesitation, I said I'll take it. I've been fortunate to hunt this area on this same tag in previous years and there are few things better than having a freezer full of oryx meat.

With my 12 yo daughter alongside, the morning hunt started slowly. I went to a location I've seen several large groups in the past, but aside from a few stragglers, the numbers weren't there this time. I did, however, spot a large herd approximately 2 miles away from my elevated position. We climbed back down to the truck and headed towards the oryx. We passed on a few animals on the way to the large herd that either weren't easily stalkable or didn't make the cut for size. Knowing that this is a one day hunt, you have to be a bit more aware about potentially wasting time on a fruitless stalk.

The oryx sightings increased drastically as we approached the location we previously spotted them in. My goal was to find either a 40+" cow or a 37+" bull. I knew the quality of animals in the area was there, I just had to demonstrate a little patience. After looking over a few dozen oryx, one caught my eye, but it had me totally fooled. It completely dwarfed the mid 30" cow it was standing next to. After looking it over for a few seconds, noticing the larger size, distinct horn rings, and heavy bases, I thought it was a long horned bull.

With the animal broadside at 385 yards, I built a rest, dialed my scope, and sent a 200 grain Accubond through its shoulder dropping the oryx in its tracks. As we approached the animal I was absolutely elated that I had met my goal, but I was surprised to see a cow on the ground after seeing the way it dwarfed its sidekick.

The old cow measures 41" with a 6.75" base on the left and 40.5" with a 7" base on the right side.

These are such cool critters and I'm grateful to have the opportunity to hunt them free range here in the USA.

Oryx pic.jpg

Last edited:

slowelk

WKR
That's great! How long did you have between notification and your hunt day? Is this doable for non-New Mexico residents to do?

OP
Brent

Brent

Lil-Rokslider
That's great! How long did you have between notification and your hunt day? Is this doable for non-New Mexico residents to do?
I had 30ish days to prep. Yes. Non Res are eligible for the population management tags, but I'm not sure how the allocation works.

WoodBow

WKR
Awesome oryx! I love when people make good shots and prove you don't have to fill these things full of lead to stop them.

Awesome. Man thats a cow? Holly smokes.
I was driving thru there earlier this year, late at night tired.
I thought I was imagining things when I seen one on the side of the road.

OP
Brent

Brent

Lil-Rokslider
I have no experience, yet, but I've read that the cows have the bigger horns. Don't know whether that's fact or not....
Cows generally grow longer horns but they lack mass compared to the bulls.

Nice oryx. My understanding to how 4th and 5th choice hunts work is that NMDGF goes in the order of the original draw. How that breaks down for resident vs non-resident, I’m not exactly sure. I assume it wouldn’t really matter because there is only one draw for each species.

On a separate note, I talked with the department last year about that physical tags. The paper tags was due to a significant cost increase by the printing company. The lady I spoke with said they have that situation resolved for this next year and will be returning to an adhesive vinyl tag.

f16jack

WKR
Nice Oryx. That was my top choice if African plains game. Great experience with your daughter and it will make a great mount.

Glimmerman151

FNG
Classified Approved
Any chance you are sending the teeth in for lab aging ? It would be interesting to know how old she was.