NM Unit 34 1st vs 2nd archery elk - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown229

FNG
I’ve hunted the second archery elk season (NM Unit 34) a few times. Seem like the bulls already have cows. I’m thinking about switching it up. Does anyone here have any thoughts on 1st vs 2nd season in NM Unit 34.

WKR

WKR
Man I feel bad for the mods...this unit number rule is gunna be hard to get under control

Speck1

Lil-Rokslider
I drew second archery in the unit just above you for this September. Cows or no cows it will be the best unit I have ever drawn. I think it’s a toss up either way. First season tends to be hot with no elk talking. Second season more likely that bulls are with cows. I prefer to hear them talking whether they are with cows or not.

Gila

WKR
I wouldn’t change. I few days before the fall equinox is always the best time to locate bugling bulls down here. I am talking about the Lincoln and the GIla. There are some huge bullls down here that are satellite bulls. The weather is usually better towards the end of the 2nd season as well….but not always.

OP
B

Brown229

FNG
No input, but following because I have the rifle tag!
All the rifle seasons are awesome. If you don’t have an outfitter
I drew second archery in the unit just above you for this September. Cows or no cows it will be the best unit I have ever drawn. I think it’s a toss up either way. First season tends to be hot with no elk talking. Second season more likely that bulls are with cows. I prefer to hear them talking whether they are with cows or not.
l hear ya. Nothing like bugling elk everywhere
I wouldn’t change. I few days before the fall equinox is always the best time to locate bugling bulls down here. I am talking about the Lincoln and the GIla. There are some huge bullls down here that are satellite bulls. The weather is usually better towards the end of the 2nd season as well….but not always.
Thanks. Most helpful. 2nd season they are always screaming but hard to get them to come to calls except for little bulls

OP
B

Brown229

FNG
No input, but following because I have the rifle tag!
All the rifle seasons are awesome. Find some places where you can see distances and just glass. Have a good time!

Gila

WKR
All the rifle seasons are awesome. If you don’t have an outfitter

Thanks. Most helpful. 2nd season they are always screaming but hard to get them to come to calls except for little bulls

It’s like spring turkey hunting when the jakes will run each other over coming into a call. The big gobblers strut near the hens and follow the hens. Sometimes you will run into small bachelor herds that will have a decent 6x6 in the group. 34 gets pounded to death these days because they are trying to reduce the elk numbers. They give out more tags than they should for any given hunt in my opinion. I don’t really like hunting the unit myself.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve hunted the second archery elk season (NM Unit 34) a few times. Seem like the bulls already have cows. I’m thinking about switching it up. Does anyone here have any thoughts on 1st vs 2nd season in NM Unit 34.
Welcome to Rokslide. You should take an opportunity to look around a bit and you'll find this community is pretty awesome.

Now unfortunately we aren't letting FNG's (new guys) post up unit specific questions. Any unit question/answers remain out in the world wide webs forever, which can doom some really great spots.

Rokslide's administrations expectation is that all long standing Rokslide members will understand and support this concept and take all such conversations to private message.

Yes it's a hassle to join and be part of this community but the rewards are worth the effort including the ability to send and receive private messages.

Hope to see you active in the forums, and good luck on your hunt, that's a really good tag.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.