No more Canada for me

kroppr77

FNG
Just want to start out saying I’m sure there are reputable outfits in Canada, but I’m posting this in hopes to save another guy from the same experience. I’m an experienced hunter hunter who yearly does a couple trips in the mountains being successful, and hunts whitetail very regularly. I may not be the best hunter, but I know my way in the woods. I’ll also add that I’ll never go to Canada again, and even with getting a deer this is far from me just whining about it.

My dad and I booked a hunt in Sask through an agent (who I’ll get to later) to hunt with a First Nation outfit. We were primarily after mule deer, and had the option to take a whitetail if it presented itself. To start off when we arrived, our guide wanted us to pay him everything immediately. I didn’t think it was a big deal until he told us that his previous hunter didn’t want to pay him for his entire hunt due to the experience, and how the guide acted. We immediately got cold feet over it then, but he said he wouldn’t take us out if we didn’t. He then said we were on a 5 day hunt, which we then had to show him our contract was a 7 day hunt. He reluctantly agreed, but then told our agent we showed up with 3 guys instead of two, which the agent never shared with us. The agents name is Ricky Trips and I highly suggest to stay away from any trips he sells. The whole week all we did was hunt from the truck, which they use to just bump deer all week in a sort of awful deer drive. Our only real shot “opportunities” were on deer running 300-509 yards away, which we didn’t even for ethical reasons. They then want you to shoot from the vehicle, even when you are unaware of your surroundings. Our guide pawned us off to another guy as the week advanced because of the lack of any deer we saw. This new guide routinely showed up late, up to over an hour. He’d drive us around high, drive on foot traffic only land, jump roads to chase deer, and tell us many violations he does just in a single year. The whole experience was nothing remotely close to hunting, and all it is is a shooting gallery to chase antler inches.
I could go on and on about the experience but what really set it off was what happened following me shooting my buck. Things were every slow all week as I said, and I hadn’t seen a buck on land we could hunt yet going into day 4, so the opportunity presented itself and I took a 140ish 4 point. I was extremely happy with my deer, actually stalked it from the ground, and it being my first muley I was excited. My guide was pissed I shot it though, didn’t want me to tag it, and said we should leave it to get a bigger one. For three days he then left it hung up after I gutted it, and said he doesn’t want it processed/tagged. For the rest of the hunt I bothered him about it, until I basically forced him to let me cut it up and de bone it to cross. My dad then shot a buck that was close to 160 on the last day and even then he said the same thing. Two other outfits even encouraged us to do this, along with our original guide. Then I learn that many of the big muley bucks they shoot are spotlighted at night, and once again none of it is really hunting. What’s the point of a 180-200 inch buck if you shoot him at midnight with a spotlight in his face, and he doesn’t even feel threatened. I’ll never get why some guys get off on that.
Throughout this experience our agent continued to lie about it, saying all fall his trips were at 100%. Then he said some camps were 2 for 6, or some guys leave early because the guides never show. Keep in mind this hunt was 5k with nothing included. We then learned 20 outfits work this area all taking 5-10 hunters a year. Do the math and that’s suppose to be 50 5 and 1/2 year muley bucks at the worst in this area to provide the numbers they say. Once again, all a lie. Our agent even continued saying he’d get us with another guy for only 2k who’s on deer? He then added that our guide got a 170 inch buck while we were with him?? Catching him in another lie. Again and again, more lies and money. He finally said that he could get us a deal on a hunt in Montana on limited entry tags, and being familiar with the MT draw I called him on his crap and he basically hung up on me.
All in all, I will only hunt in the states now and keep doing this on my own. I’ve been successful elk hunting wnd whitetail hunting on my own, and feel dumb as can be for being scammed into this. I’ll also never hunt Canada again with the insane cost of just everything up there, and then US border agents telling us they hear this same story all of the time. And finally I couldn’t believe how unethical and crappy everything was, it was all about inches and nothing more. Most of these things are illegal and aren’t tolerated in the states, and I get it’s a different country, but I’ll never go back. Keep your hard earned money guys, and hunt hard.

V-TRAIN

WKR
Personally I would never use an agent, they are basically a contractor that reaps rewards because the hunter doesn't want to do research. There are lots and lots of fantastic outfitters, and you can find them easily typing in google "outfitter canada forum mule deer" (for example) and find out some great sources.
Once you find some, do google searches on them with forum in the title. Send out some private messages, make some calls, it is really not that hard.

I am sorry to hear your troubles, that sucks, but I would not rule Canada out because of your experience.
I mean, you could have the same thing happen, if same method was used to select the outfitter anywhere in the world. I would be happy you both got deer, heck it would have really sucked if you went through all that and didn't get one.

Reactions: OMB
OP
kroppr77

kroppr77

FNG
My dad supposedly did the research for it. He said it all checked out and I trusted him with that. I learned my lesson though, I should have thoroughly looked into it as well. I really obsess over my elk hunting and guess I should’ve done that with this. I just thought since it was a guide it would have to be reputable, at the very least legal. Since in the US you’d get sued or arrested for most of this crap.

MattBC

FNG
I didn't think non-residents were allowed to hunt mule deer in Saskatchewan...

Scoot

WKR
That sucks! Sounds like you have dealt with some very shady scmucks! However, to write off going to Canada because of these losers doesn't make much sense to me. Obviously, you'll handle it however you want to, but I don't follow the logic in scratching Canada in the future.

Sorry for your misadventure- that really does stink. There are shady thieves in every state, province, and country...

buzzy

WKR
What were the names of the outfits involved so we all make sure we stay away? Sorry your hunt was so bad.

Ricky Trips sounds like he might be related to Joe Exotic.

Your story sounds like you got hooked up with an outfit that takes advantage of noobies. Might be fun to have Chris Hansen do an investigative piece on old Ricky Trips, Online Hunting Predator.

I can hear the story now. . . RT: "I just wanted to be friends, eh"
CH: "Do you always bring a spotlight, a .22 mag, condoms, a happy meal, rope, and a shovel to visit friends eh?"
RT: "Take off hoser"

WCB

WKR
I'm 99% sure this 👆. Unless it is on a REZ which the OP states they hunted with a "Fist Nations" outfit. Fancy word for REZ

Also, to the OP. Don't rule out Canada I've been twice and know a bunch of guys that have had great trips. I also would not rule out using a booking agency there are good ones and bad ones.

Ram94

WKR
I would also encourage you to report this to the local Fish & Game authorities. Unacceptable.

Reactions: WCB
OP
kroppr77

kroppr77

FNG
What were the names of the outfits involved so we all make sure we stay away? Sorry your hunt was so bad.
Basically anything that has to do with little pine, sweet grass, or red pheasant reserves. They all hunt the same from what we ran into.

OP
kroppr77

kroppr77

FNG
More so ruling out Canada for how freaked out they are over covid. Gotta get vaccinated, then test before you cross, then they made us test when we arrived “randomly.” This test had to be over FaceTime with a nurse, and they then came to pick it up. If you tested positive they made you quarantine for 14 days in their own quarantine facility, and if you don’t do the test they said they’ll fine or put you in jail. They then make you test again if you’re there for 8 days…same thing. Then everywhere you went they wanted to see a vax card. Guess I’ll just stick to the freedoms we have left down here.
Also doesn’t help that gas is $6 a gallon…along with the cost of anything else up there.

Antares

WKR
Do some research next time, it'll save you a lot of frustration. Sounds like you learned that lesson about choosing a guide/outfitter, but Canada being 1) expensive and 2) strict about Covid protocols shouldn't have been a surprise either.

Last edited:
More so ruling out Canada for how freaked out they are over covid. Gotta get vaccinated, then test before you cross, then they made us test when we arrived “randomly.” This test had to be over FaceTime with a nurse, and they then came to pick it up. If you tested positive they made you quarantine for 14 days in their own quarantine facility, and if you don’t do the test they said they’ll fine or put you in jail. They then make you test again if you’re there for 8 days…same thing. Then everywhere you went they wanted to see a vax card. Guess I’ll just stick to the freedoms we have left down here.
Also doesn’t help that gas is $6 a gallon…along with the cost of anything else up there.
Pretty much why my money won't be spent in Canada.

WCB

WKR
Weird...my dad and his buddy went Moose hunting in AB in Oct. and the only issue they had at the border (drove in) was they forgot to upload their Vax card image into the system. Turned them away and said get it added and come back tomorrow. Did it at the hotel that night next morning they got through without a problem. Drove through ate at restaurants stopped at gas stations and never got asked for anything.

I was supposed to go on the trip but canceled as soon as it was obvious vax was required because I'm not nor will be vaccinated.

I have an older good friend that wanted to kill a Rocky Mtn. bighorn sheep really bad but could never draw. He had killed a Stone sheep and a Dall, but could never draw a RM bighorn in the lower 48.

He got older and realized a RM bighorn may not be physically possible. Somehow he found out about RM bighorn hunts on the Blackfoot Rez in Montana. He contacted them and got a hunt planned, etc. They told him "they would get him a bighorn".

The "hunt" was a total sham. They went to areas (in a vehicle) where "bighorns were supposed to be". After 4-5 days he realized he had been took, to the tune of nearly $25,000 When he questioned them about the promise to get a bighorn, they gave him a small half-curl picked up deadhead.

Bottom line is, I guess this kind of thing can happen north or south of the border.

ClearCreek

Old and gray

Lil-Rokslider
Any internet search would have steered you away from these guys. A post in any hunting forum asking about this hunt would raise many red flags. Can’t muster any sympathy.

Reactions: OMB

OMB

WKR
Personally I would never use an agent, they are basically a contractor that reaps rewards because the hunter doesn't want to do research. There are lots and lots of fantastic outfitters, and you can find them easily typing in google "outfitter canada forum mule deer" (for example) and find out some great sources.
Once you find some, do google searches on them with forum in the title. Send out some private messages, make some calls, it is really not that hard.

I am sorry to hear your troubles, that sucks, but I would not rule Canada out because of your experience.
I mean, you could have the same thing happen, if same method was used to select the outfitter anywhere in the world. I would be happy you both got deer, heck it would have really sucked if you went through all that and didn't get one.
100% agree on booking agents. A few years ago I was planning a couple of outfitted hunts, and was doing all of the research myself initially just to go into it with no biases on species I've never hunted/places I've never been. One booking agent told me their Dall sheep outfitter in Alaska averaged something like 5 years old on their rams, and when I called them out on it not seeming right, threatened me with legal action and telling me they were black listing me from future bookings.

Just get a Huntin Fool or Epic membership and talk them if you don't know where to start on outfitters, they actually know what they're talking about. Almost every booking agent I've spoken with comes off like a used cars salesman getting a commission and discounted hunts.

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider
It was on the reserve.
I own lake property in this area, these guys are pretty famous for this kind of stuff.
A google search shows this area of Saskatchewan is pretty infamous for natives and fish & wildlife infractions.
Not to mention run ins with the police.
Its too bad you had a bad experience. I feel for you. Rule out Canada if you like, but I can attest not all outfitters are like this.
To be honest 5K is low end for a good mule deer hunt in Canada.
The lowest price I found was 7K in a quick search.
I think the blame should start here with Ricky Trips

Ruling out an entire country because you admit that you didn't do any due diligence and had a shitty experience in one tiny area makes no sense at all.