No Wyoming grizzly hunt

FLAK

WKR
Since when did the Antis get more clout than the sportsman who have funded the comeback of most game spp.??????

This is an awkward situation. The state of Wyoming passed a law enabling the hunting of grizzly bears as the state's legislature feels that the grizzly population has recovered and should be managed like any other game animal. The feds have declared the grizzly to be an endangered species (again). Part of the feds' rationale was that the grizzly hasn't expanded into its former range, which is true because that would include about 40 states. My guess is that most people don't want grizzlies in their state. But, in Wyoming it would be hard to argue that grizzlies are endangered.

As the article said: if Wyoming allowed the grizzly bears to be hunted then the successful hunters could face federal prosecution.

The battle for states' rights is not over. Have the feds overstepped their bounds???

This is an awkward situation. The state of Wyoming passed a law enabling the hunting of grizzly bears as the state's legislature feels that the grizzly population has recovered and should be managed like any other game animal. The feds have declared the grizzly to be an endangered species (again). Part of the feds' rationale was that the grizzly hasn't expanded into its former range, which is true because that would include about 40 states. My guess is that most people don't want grizzlies in their state. But, in Wyoming it would be hard to argue that grizzlies are endangered.

As the article said: if Wyoming allowed the grizzly bears to be hunted then the successful hunters could face federal prosecution.

The battle for states' rights is not over. Have the feds overstepped their bounds???

Lol by that rationale they might as well list Elk

DesertJoe

FNG
Since when did the Antis get more clout than the sportsman who have funded the comeback of most game spp.??????

Since the anti's organized voters, and sportsman do comparatively none of that on a local or state level.

DesertJoe

FNG

IDK, looking through history, the battle for state's rights seemed to be lost in the 1860's. Since then the feds have been able to slice through most any states rights in a decade or less after they set their target.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if Wyoming tried to press the feds on the matter. Clearly Colorado, California, Washington, Oregon, and now Michigan have defied federal law on recreational marijuana and it has turned out alright thus far. Obviously hunting grizzlies is an entirely different matter and I certainly wouldn't want to be the hunter who's life gets ruined in a state's rights experiment. But still. It'd be a popcorn-grabber for sure.

I totally second DesertJoe on sportsmen not getting out there and engaging with the non-hunting public especially in Dem controlled urban areas. Most aren't antis. They are simply trying to follow whatever the herd is doing and the antis are doing a much better job engaging with them so they flock that way. I'm doing what I can to change that though, living in a place like Boulder, CO and all...

Fatcamp

WKR
They should push it through. Maybe we'll get lucky and a whole pile of useless people will boycott Wyoming.

I fail to see how the rationale for suspending this hunt doesn't directly apply to wolves as well. There is a bit of fear involved in this decision methinks.

Chris B

Lil-Rokslider
What about Britsh Columbia Canada? Never ever thought they would ban hunting the big bears ! ?