Nock Points... Tying my first

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Tying my first nock points. Using BCY Nock String. When I tie them they still want to move. Should they still move? The top one is pretty firm to move, but have tied the bottom one 2x and it is not so firm.

madkaw284

Lil-Rokslider
No, they shouldn’t move. What type of knot are you using? I always use a nail knot pulled very tight.

xcutter

WKR
Depending on how many knots you tie it will still move possibly. I usually do surgical knots times 3 above and below my nock on my arrow.

Wrench

WKR
Tie them tight and set with beeswax once you screw them exactly where you want them.

OP
wildernessmaster

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
I watched a video by John Dudley... I am using what I use to call surgeons knots - over and under - basically you loop the string through 2x tighten down, then repeat under... 3 on top 3 on bottom and tie off with a square knot.

OP
wildernessmaster

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Depending on how many knots you tie it will still move possibly. I usually do surgical knots times 3 above and below my nock on my arrow.
These are new strings. I notice on the string serving that the serving where the top knot is is thicker and has more texture. It looks like on the lower spot the serving is thinner and smoother. RIght below that it looks like they ran out of serving line and had to restart. Could it be the serving?

xcutter

WKR
These are new strings. I notice on the string serving that the serving where the top knot is is thicker and has more texture. It looks like on the lower spot the serving is thinner and smoother. Right below that it looks like they ran out of serving line and had to restart. Could it be the serving?
I'm guessing that the thicker part at the top is where they tied over for the serving to get set. Hard to say though. Pic would help. Typically I've not had any trouble doing surgical knots front then rotate (180°), surgical knot, then rotate (180°) surgical knot and finish with a square knot. Be sure to leave yourself enough string that you can really hold string tight in your hand or wrap around your fingers for more leverage when tying. Then finish by putting your D loop above and below your serving knots. Doing it this way really makes it easy for replacing D loops when worn.

Yooper

WKR
You can move them a little by rotating them on string. They shouldn't move far, but I've been able to move a few mm one direction or the other by turning them clockwise/counter clockwise.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
IMO that BCY nock and peep is too big at 020. Your serving is probably the standard 018 powergrip. The 020 is so big it lays over the ribs of the serving and allows it to slip. I use 016 3D. You want to keep your nocks the same size or 1 size below your serving. Never too much smaller as you dont want them to cut into your serving to your string. Bcy 014 halo would be too small. Too big and it slips as you found out. Order a spool of BCY 3D 016

Last edited:
OP
wildernessmaster

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
IMO that BCY nock and peep is too big at 020. Your serving is probably the standard 014 powergrip. The 020 is so big it lays over thr ribs of the serving and allows it to slip. I use 016 3D. You want to keep your nocks the same size or 1 size above your serving. Never smaller as you dont want them to cut into your serving to your string. Too big and it slips as you found out. Order a spool of BCY 3D 016
Winner winner chicken dinner.

I believe you are correct.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Winner winner chicken dinner.

I believe you are correct.

Actually I was wrong, but just on the sizes not the BCY 016 3D suggerstion. I corrected both posts.

IMO that BCY nock and peep is too big at 020. Your serving is probably the standard 018 powergrip. The 020 is so big it lays over the ribs of the serving and allows it to slip. I use 016 3D. You want to keep your nocks the same size or 1 size below your serving. Never too much smaller as you dont want them to cut into your serving to your string. Bcy 014 halo would be too small. Too big and it slips as you found out. Order a spool of BCY 3D 016

My strings have bcy 014 halo on the cams. bcy 018 powergrip center serving. bcy 016 3d for nock points and peep tie in.

OP
wildernessmaster

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Actually I was wrong, but just on the sizes not the BCY 016 3D suggerstion. I corrected both posts.

My strings have bcy 014 halo on the cams. bcy 018 powergrip center serving. bcy 016 3d for nock points and peep tie in.
I really appreciate the response. I had tied these 3x, doing my superhuman best to cinch them down and all of them were fails. I was beginning to think something was off with what I was tying with, but I believe you are spot on. Spool of 3D ordered from 60x.

You might become my "phone a friend" for this stuff. Trying to learn but the bow world is overloaded with cruft in the knowledge space.

Thank you again!

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
There are a number of great guys on here that really know their stuff. zac, Billy goat, brendan, 5milesback, fatcamp, wrench and numerous others that I cant think of right now. Ive learned a lot from these guys as well. Just read all the threads. Even if at glace the thread doesnt seem like what your looking for many times we digress to something else.

Rodéo

WKR
I really appreciate the response. I had tied these 3x, doing my superhuman best to cinch them down and all of them were fails. I was beginning to think something was off with what I was tying with, but I believe you are spot on. Spool of 3D ordered from 60x.

You might become my "phone a friend" for this stuff. Trying to learn but the bow world is overloaded with cruft in the knowledge space.

Thank you again!
@Reburn got it.

Glad you figured it out. I went through the same thing months ago learning from Dudley's video and dealt with the same issues. Should be all set with the new 3D 016, although I think I ordered 17 and it worked fine for me.

Zac

WKR

These are the best methods I have found. I never got the square knots to work. Constructor knot has been money.

I have tied a lot of nock sets. The issue I’ve had with dudleys method is that the square knot at the end can come slightly loose and cause the nock set to come unraveled.

I use a nail knot like what Zac posted for my trad setups and I can get that thing crazy tight and have never had an issue. I’m using that nail knot for all compounds and trad bows because it’s an easy, quick, and tight knot.

Reactions: Zac

Archerichards

Lil-Rokslider
I watched a video by John Dudley... I am using what I use to call surgeons knots - over and under - basically you loop the string through 2x tighten down, then repeat under... 3 on top 3 on bottom and tie off with a square knot.

This is how to do it. Though for me two surgeons knots seems like plenty.