Non-hunting areas in California for elk calling and scouting practice?

zpearo

FNG
I don't expect anyone to give up their hunting spots, but if anyone knows of an area in northern california with elk where hunting isn't allowed, I'd like to go out and practice some scouting and calling. I'll be hunting Wyoming with my family, no plans to apply for California elk anytime soon.

If you know of anything, or if you want help scouting for your own hunt, send me a PM.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
Are you not allowed to call where ever you want in California? I'm not a warden, but as long as you don't have a bow or rifle in hand, I don't see the problem calling and scouting where ever you want.

OP
Z

zpearo

FNG
Are you not allowed to call where ever you want in California? I'm not a warden, but as long as you don't have a bow or rifle in hand, I don't see the problem calling and scouting where ever you want.
Yeah, I can do that. I just wasn't expecting anyone to give up their hunting spot. That's what I'll end up doing if there's no recommendations here

kickemall

WKR
No idea if that's legal or not as its California but Cache Crk. Wilderness in Lake County would be a pretty ideal spot. If you want something cooler then Usal crk. campground in N. Mendocino would work and is a pretty nice place right on the ocean. Marble mountain wilderness also has a bunch of elk.

OP
Z

zpearo

FNG
No idea if that's legal or not as its California but Cache Crk. Wilderness in Lake County would be a pretty ideal spot. If you want something cooler then Usal crk. campground in N. Mendocino would work and is a pretty nice place right on the ocean. Marble mountain wilderness also has a bunch of elk.
Awesome, I'll look into these. Along the coast would be cool so I can combine it with a spearfishing trip. Thanks!

Marble

WKR
Awesome, I'll look into these. Along the coast would be cool so I can combine it with a spearfishing trip. Thanks!
You go to Orick, CA. There is an RV park there called Elk Country. They walk right by your camp sometimes.

And there are tons of elk in the marbles. But you'll have to hike in. We found a basin last weekend with 17 bulls...

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Scooter37

FNG
San Luis reservoir has a pretty nice population in the spring : summertime at least I’m not sure if there are many still there in the fall or where they go then. Right by the dam. I don’t think you can ever hunt there but they are fun to look at

eshunt

Lil-Rokslider
You go to Orick, CA. There is an RV park there called Elk Country. They walk right by your camp sometimes.

And there are tons of elk in the marbles. But you'll have to hike in. We found a basin last weekend with 17 bulls...

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
Orick and the surrounding Redwood National Park. Check out the Davidson Ranch by the turn off to Fern Canyon/Gold Bluffs. Or the entrance to Praire Creek. Usually plenty of elk hanging out in those places. Can even find them right on the beach at Gold Bluff. No hunting allowed since they are in the National and State Parks.

The elk heard is pretty well documented in California. You should be able to find somewhere to yell at the elk. However, if you practice in the room with your wife, I bet you will get a reaction super quick. Good luck with your hunt!

Calaveras Road off 680 has a Tule Elk herd back toward the reservoir. I have called there before.
The only difference is when you are calling Elk that are not hunted and have not been hunted is
it really a gauge as to how you are doing? They are not wary at all.

OP
Z

zpearo

FNG
Calaveras Road off 680 has a Tule Elk herd back toward the reservoir. I have called there before.
The only difference is when you are calling Elk that are not hunted and have not been hunted is
it really a gauge as to how you are doing? They are not wary at all.
Yeah I realize it's not a great gauge. But I'll also be able to watch behavior, practice stalking in, and listen to their natural sounds. I was able to hang out right with the herd after shooting my cow last year and the experience of being right by them was pretty cool. Would like to do that again.

OP
Z

zpearo

FNG
If anyone wants to join up when I go out, send me a PM and we'll figure out when our schedules line up