Nonresident costs for Montana unlimited

goose21

FNG
Sorry dumb question. I am on Montana game and fish website. If you hunt the unlimited units for sheep what do you all need?

base hunting fee $15
is the sheep license $1250 or $50. I do not know how to read that portion
Conservation license $10

What am I missing?

OP
G

goose21

FNG
Can anybody clear this up for me? Is the total for a nonresident to hunt the unlimiteds $1275 or $75. I am guessing the 75 cant be it but I am having trouble understanding the montana website

Ceby7

Lil-Rokslider
I think it's $75, I know in the drawings for nonresidents it's $50 to apply and if successful you pay the $1250 tag fee. I don't think they'd charge $1250 for an unlimited permit cause not many would fork over that much for just an opportunity to possibly see a sheep.

It says in the regs the tag 1250 if successful, because your guaranteed success to draw it's 1250, plus the base fee of 15 plus 10 for conservation.

dotman

WKR
I think it's $75, I know in the drawings for nonresidents it's $50 to apply and if successful you pay the $1250 tag fee. I don't think they'd charge $1250 for an unlimited permit cause not many would fork over that much for just an opportunity to possibly see a sheep.

Price was increased from $750 to $1250 this year. Still the cheapest NR sheep tag you are guaranteed to get.

Bambistew

WKR
Alaska is only $425 for an OTC tag, and free for residents.

MT will soon be pricing pricing everyone out out just like the deer and elk. Glad I let 12 points go when they got greedy any raised the draw costs. I couldn't imagine dropping that kind of cash on a camping trip.

MT will soon be pricing pricing everyone out out just like the deer and elk. Glad I let 12 points go when they got greedy any raised the draw costs. I couldn't imagine dropping that kind of cash on a camping trip.

No offense, but I can guarantee that the increase in sheep price will do NOTHING to the odds... thus, they will fill them all, even at the higher price. Deer and elk combos went up a few years ago... and there are now some leftovers every year... BUT they are still netting way more off of these new prices than having lower odds at lower prices.

I, for one, wish they still made you pony up the cost of the tag to put in for the drawing... they would make money off the interest while waiting for the draw and it would make the odds go WAY WAY up for res and non res alike.

If you break it down, the price of the combo tag is not that high when you compare apples to apples. If you add the cost of small game, fishing, deer, and elk tags together in states like wyoming, ID and CO, they are pretty similar. You can hunt deer and elk in the entire general season from sep 5th to nov 27.... I think its a great value.

I get seriously tired of hearing people want to come to MT to hunt and utilize the resources that the RESIDENTS pay for in taxes every year and bitch about the cost... When the cost really is pretty reasonable.

Joe

Alaskans can hunt bighorn sheep for free...???

Tag fee is only one part of it. Logistics is an entirely different ball game.

No offense, but I can guarantee that the increase in sheep price will do NOTHING to the odds... thus, they will fill them all, even at the higher price. Deer and elk combos went up a few years ago... and there are now some leftovers every year... BUT they are still netting way more off of these new prices than having lower odds at lower prices.

I, for one, wish they still made you pony up the cost of the tag to put in for the drawing... they would make money off the interest while waiting for the draw and it would make the odds go WAY WAY up for res and non res alike.

If you break it down, the price of the combo tag is not that high when you compare apples to apples. If you add the cost of small game, fishing, deer, and elk tags together in states like wyoming, ID and CO, they are pretty similar. You can hunt deer and elk in the entire general season from sep 5th to nov 27.... I think its a great value.

I get seriously tired of hearing people want to come to MT to hunt and utilize the resources that the RESIDENTS pay for in taxes every year and bitch about the cost... When the cost really is pretty reasonable.

Joe

While I don't live in Montana, I agree and have no problem with what you are saying.

I also think that you do have to write a check for the entire amount. Your refunded it if you do not draw.

dotman

WKR

Doesn't count since you have to add an outfitter if a NR. So pretty expensive.

MT isn't as expensive as many point out, CO deer is $375, elk $629, so pretty much the same price as the MT combo tag and you get less in CO.

OP
G

goose21

FNG
Thanks for the information. I figured $75 would be too good to be true. Still a good deal in order to be able to hunt sheep with a tag in pocket even if the odds are very poor. If my job changes to a 12 hour shift I will have a lot more time off and will be able to dedicate 2 week trips for hunting easier. I will definitely be trying this out in the next few years. Thanks for the clarification everyone

Mtnboy

WKR
Dang, I didn't realize the cost went up $500. That's a pretty big jump actually.

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider

Joe

I am struggling to see apples to apples.

Montana is more expensive for a non-resident to build deer and elk points than Wyoming, Colorado, Arizona, etc. If you were not planning to hunt each year in Montana then will spend $200 to get points (by turning back in the license for a refund).

How many hunters have weeks to spend on an out-of-state hunt? Soaking non-residents to fund F&G ends up making residents fight every penny of proposed resident tag increase. Soaking non-residents lowers participation and shifts participation towards wealthier non-resident hunters.

Why would I buy a small game license or fishing license to go hunt elk or sheep? I am not on a multi-bag, casual-paced safari to screw around fishing for trout or shooting ducks. I am on an elk hunt or sheep hunt or deer hunt. Usually have about 6 days of hunting time and most of the hunters I know are not able to spend weeks on one hunt.

Joe

Joe,

Since this thread was about the unlimiteds, I agree that tag cost increase will do nothing to the draw odds.

I'm all for making folks pony up the tag costs up front in every state but understand the agreement against it as well. Your average hunter cant front that much $ every year.

I've had NR General tags the last 6 years in a row. Wont catch me complaining because I do think there is a lot of value to being able to make 2 trips out of it rather than 1. MT has every right to reward their residents with opportunity for their choice to live in MT. I'd like to see just how much of the federal lands and the G&F budget is funded by NR compared to residents though. I have a feeling a very small portion of the resources you allude to are paid for with resident taxes.

Lol, they aren't pricing anyone out... They sold out as usual for deer and elk.

To the OP. Yes, you will pay the full $1250. Good luck even getting to sheep country in those mountains. I grew up there and never saw a sheep outside the park.