Northwoods old school whitetail

So on top of caribou in Alaska Ive always wanted to do a DIY “traditional north woods” lever action whitetail hunt! I’m talking flannel, stormy Kromers, wall tent & lever action rifle, the whole nine yards. What states still offer a decent hunt where you can get somewhat remote and in some timber country with good public lands? Seems like Michigan, Wisconsin & Minnesota offer what I think I’m looking for but would the New England states be better? It’s been my understanding that the deer populations have been taking a beating due to predators and winters in the great lakes region. Any insight is appreciated, thanks!!

Maine, Adirondacks, maybe northern NH. More or less the deer density will depend on altitude and whether theres a lot of timber land, but its not a deer-dense style of hunting. In fact, if youre in snow having low deer density is actually helpful. I dont know how it compares to the great lakes states.

unless you’re going to be picky about antler size, any of those states you mentioned would probably fit the bill. I live in WI and my family has a cabin up north. I don’t hunt up there but there are ok deer numbers. Theres a lot of timber company land that is open to hunting. Decent amount of public land. Lots of good bars to get a beer to celebrate your success or drown your sorrows

unless you’re going to be picky about antler size, any of those states you mentioned would probably fit the bill. I live in WI and my family has a cabin up north. I don’t hunt up there but there are ok deer numbers. Theres a lot of timber company land that is open to hunting. Decent amount of public land. Lots of good bars to get a beer to celebrate your success or drown your sorrows
Not picky at all on rack size, I’d be happy as hell with a 120” buck if I could get one! I have a buddy that grew up in Appleton WI and he always talks about how fun the bar scene can be up there!

Maine, Adirondacks, maybe northern NH. More or less the deer density will depend on altitude and whether theres a lot of timber land, but it’s not a deer-dense style of hunting. In fact, if youre in snow having low deer density is actually helpful. I dont know how it compares to the great lakes states.
All of those are considerations! Me and my dad have wanted to go to Maine so this might be a good way to get him to go!

The Adirondacks would be a good place in the New England area. From what I've heard Maine would be as well. Density of deer is fairly low but there have been some big name trackers who killed nice bucks every year tracking them in the snow.

Lever action?? I thought those hunts were reserved for a Remington pump or one of the semi autos.
Wisconsin 2021
Marlin 30-30
Weaver 4X w/ tip off mount
It was my grandfather's, bought the year I was born
(My dad bought an identical one at the same time that my brother has.)
Grandpa's was handed down to my cousin who died tragically in his 20's,
My aunt in her 50's made her only deer kill in Belle Fourche with it.
She passed it on to me.
It will continue down the line.

Carrying that rifle makes me feel like I am eight years old again
hunting with my BB gun. No better feeling in the world.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0 (1).JPG
    imagejpeg_0 (1).JPG
    358.3 KB · Views: 32
Wisconsin 2021
Marlin 30-30
Weaver 4X w/ tip off mount
It was my grandfather's, bought the year I was born
(My dad bought an identical one at the same time that my brother has.)
Grandpa's was handed down to my cousin who died tragically in his 20's,
My aunt in her 50's made her only deer kill in Belle Fourche with it.
She passed it on to me.
It will continue down the line.

Carrying that rifle makes me feel like I am eight years old again
hunting with my BB gun. No better feeling in the world.
Nothing better than using a rifle with some history!

“Are” popular, not “were”—still the most common rifle I see in the woods. At this point since they arent made anymore they are status symbols.

I've hunted the Baraga Michigan area in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan before and saw 4 does the entire week - and this is wall tent - all day hunt hard hunting. I enjoyed the experience. The country is awesome, but you kind of have to temper your expectations if you hunt up there. You could see a great buck at any minute - but you could also spend a solid week of hunting hard and see nothing. 70% of the guys that shoot a 120" whitetail in Michigan get it mounted by the way - if that tells you anything. And yes, I have one......:)

My guess is some of the other states you mention aren't much different. I'm certainly not discouraging you from doing the hunt. If you have the right mindset, you will have a blast.

Back