Nosering for Berger 156gr EOL? Is this a thing?

Can someone educate me on nosering-ing bullets? Would the Berger 156gr EOL Elite Hunter bullets be good candidates? I bought 500 of these projos long ago and not sure if I should sell them and go with 147 ELD-M's or try the nosering approach. My understanding is that cutting the groove in the nose helps BC and encourages upsetting/tumbling upon impact?

Anyone have good data yet on noseringed terminal ballistics?

This is for a 6.5CM for now, maybe 6.5PRC in the future.

ID_Matt

WKR
Someone else will probably correct me, but I think the nosering is better suited for bullets that may not be as likely to upset from the factory. I think an ELDM or Berger will have no problem upsetting. I have seen/shot about 7 animals with the 156 berger, it is a devastating bullet. Have not had any issues with getting expansion and would channels have been significant.

OP
swavescatter
But along the lines of the TMK craze, more upset = more better, right?

I was under the impression that the 156 EOL's we're similar to VLD's, which have been reported to be less predictable at expansion. Just thought the nosering concept could be applied to get the best of both worlds...

Unfortunately, I only get 1-3 opportunities max at shots on big game each year. I don't want to risk those on testing. I need some whitetail doe hunter out east to give it a shot

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
But along the lines of the TMK craze, more upset = more better, right?

I was under the impression that the 156 EOL's we're similar to VLD's, which have been reported to be less predictable at expansion. Just thought the nosering concept could be applied to get the best of both worlds...

The jacket it too thin on Berger hunting and VLD bullets for a Nosering to work, or add much. Unless you are at low velocity for impacts (sun 2,000fps) Berger VLD and hunting bullets work consistently and there is no need for a Nosering.

On the Noseringed DTAC’s, as has been written quite a bit on here, it doesn’t work like the advertising says it does. The bullet kills well, but not by the mechanism that is thought.