Nosler Long Range Accubond vs. Berger Hybrids

gelton

WKR
Specifically the 210 gr Nosler Long Range Accubond vs. the Berger 215 Hybrids in .308. On paper, the higher BC Nosler Long Range Accubonds look better than the Berger Hybrids. Paper, however, can sometimes be deceiving.

The Nosler Long Range is rather new to the game and I am wondering if anyone has any real world experience with them. I like that the Nosler is designed for hunting instead of just target shooting and may have better performance on game. Other than that inclination, I have no strong feelings for either as I haven't done any testing on either round.

Obviously members here have had success using the Bergers I am just wondering if anyone has been lucky enough to take game with the Nosler Long Range and how they compare. I am new to reloading for the 300 win mag I just picked up. Just looking for a single round to get acquainted with and dont want to waste time and money switching back and forth.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shot the 210 NLRA at paper out to 600. They are no where near .730 BC, If I had to guess the BC it would be around .660. But I quit testing them because I found some 230 for my RUM.

Last edited:

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
215 berger versus accubond

Specifically the 210 gr Nosler Long Range Accubond vs. the Berger 215 Hybrids in .308. On paper, the higher BC Nosler Long Range Accubonds look better than the Berger Hybrids. Paper, however, can sometimes be deceiving.

The Nosler Long Range is rather new to the game and I am wondering if anyone has any real world experience with them. I like that the Nosler is designed for hunting instead of just target shooting and may have better performance on game. Other than that inclination, I have no strong feelings for either as I haven't done any testing on either round.

Obviously members here have had success using the Bergers I am just wondering if anyone has been lucky enough to take game with the Nosler Long Range and how they compare. I am new to reloading for the 300 win mag I just picked up. Just looking for a single round to get acquainted with and dont want to waste time and money switching back and forth.

Well, I do not have any personal experience with the LR accubond but if you read some of the reviews on various hunting/shooting websites, they do not get a very favorable response. The 215 berger and a 300 winny is like, well, good whiskey and a ribeye. You would also have to see what your rifle likes but my vote would be for the berger.

Randy

Broz

WKR
Fact: The Nosler ABLR 210 has an actual field tested G1 BC of .610 They were just kidding about that .730 thing.

Fact: The 215 Berger has an actual field tested G1 BC of .696 exactly as advertised by Berger

I have shot both from a 300 win. Nosler gets a little wild with their advertised BC's, always have and that is the results of many field tests by many shooters.

Also in my personal opinion and experience I have never ever made a bonded bullet group at 1000 yards as accurately as a non bonded bullet.

The limited field results of the ABLR's I have seen has not been great. This has also been reported by others. The 210 specifically is very explosive at close distances and penetration suffers from it. I believe this is from the very thin jacket and tip design that they used to get the expansion at long range velocities down to 1300 fps as per Nosler's claim.

Hope this is ok to post a link to a test related to this subject. If not mods please remove the thread from this post.

In this thread and field test I compared the 210 Berger I had shot for years to the 215 Hybrid while I was testing the 215. There are recorded kills from 200 yard bull elk to 1285 yard antelope with the 300 win. 19 one shot cold bore kills with impact velocities and terminal performance photos of vital damage and wound channels. This thread will enable you to decide for yourself if the 215 Berger Hybrid will preform to your standards.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/

Sorry for the length of the thread but once things take off we were whacking and stacking elk, deer and antelope and this thread is packed with real world data. Every shot was made using The Applied Ballistics app and an inputted G7 BC that Berger advertises. Not once was a follow up or finishing shot needed. Velocities were taken from an Oehler 35 chronograph.

Jeff

Last edited:

Broz

WKR
Well as you may notice in that thread we take our share of game. If they don't go down and stay down, I would be tracking them out. So if the bullet was not working for me I would not still be hunting with them.

Jeff

GrifMt

FNG
Brand new here to the slide, have been reading for a while though. Wondering if anyone has shot these AB LR in the 6.5 variety. Bought a creedmoor a few weeks back and had some good success with the factory ELD match bullets (held a 1.25 inch vertical @600 yards) but the ELDX wasn't that great, and I need to get some loads worked up anyway. Thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Brand new here to the slide, have been reading for a while though. Wondering if anyone has shot these AB LR in the 6.5 variety. Bought a creedmoor a few weeks back and had some good success with the factory ELD match bullets (held a 1.25 inch vertical @600 yards) but the ELDX wasn't that great, and I need to get some loads worked up anyway. Thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Never gave the ABLR a try due too poor reports in accuracy and soft bullet construction. If you're pushing the elds at creedmoor velocities I would call it good with the match bullets.

Broz

WKR
Been working with a Christensen Arms Summit Ti-Th all week in 6.5 Creedmoor. 140 gr Berger Hunting VLD seated -.050" off the lands, Fed 210 and 42 gr of H-4350 is a winner. I have heard also the Berger 130 AR Hybrid will work with this load too and is less sensitive to seating depth. With all the data available that the 140 HVLD has good terminal performance I went with them and never looked back.

Disclaimer: As always, start low and work powder charges up. All rifles are different and can show pressure at different charge weights.

Jeff

Last edited:

GrifMt

FNG
Been working with a Christensen Arms Summit Ti-Th all week in 6.5 Creedmoor. 140 gr Berger Hunting VLD seated -.050" off the lands, Fed 210 and 42 gr of H-4350 is a winner. I have heard also the Berger 130 AR Hybrid will work with this load too and is less sensitive to seating depth. With all the data available that the 140 HVLD has good terminal performance I went with them and never looked back.

Disclaimer: As always, start low and work powder charges up. All rifles are different and can show pressure at different charge weights.

Jeff

I bought some of the Bergers, I'm going to give them a try with H414, as I have a pile of it on hand for my 270 anyway. That and it meters really nicely. Thanks for the info Jeff