Nwt dall sheep outfitters?

ol490

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good ones to choose from. If you want a traditional horseback trip, both Gana River and Ramhead are good choices. For backpack hunts that start with a helicopter ride, Nahanni Butte, Mackenzie mountain or Ramhead. For a old school backpack hunt Arctic Red River or Gana River . Your choice depends on what style you want to hunt. The five outfitters I have listed all have great reputations and provide great hunts (from my research through the years). My dad and I killed Rams on a horseback trip with Ramhead in 2007. No matter who you choose, enjoy every moment as the hunts go by too fast!

kuhn4

Lil-Rokslider
My dad and I hunted with MacKenzie Mnt Outfitters in 2012. I would narrow your search down to MMO, Ramhead, and Arctic Red River. All three have excellent concessions.

wyosteve

WKR
I know you said just NWT, but I can't resist throwing in my .02 for the Yukon and David Dickson. He's 3rd generation in the same area. I took a 14 yr. old beautiful broomed ram with him. He uses horses if that matters either way.

MattB

WKR
Following a hunt with South Nahanni where they did not even show me a sheep they would let me shoot due to lack of age, I did a ton of research over the next ~6 years on the NWT outfitters. The short list included MMO and ARRO, but I ultimately settled on Gana River and I could not have been more happy with my decision. Harold is not a flashy/salesy sort of a guy, but he impressed me with his honesty and candor. What initially sold me on him was that he gave the same honest answers to questions during the recession when hunts were tougher to sell as during the economic recovery (which I cannot say about all of his competition).

During my hunt I learned that he is the most honest and hard working outfitter I have ever hunted with. Case and point: while I was on my hunt, another hunter in camp blew out one of his boots and Harold loaned him his. When my guide sprained his ankle coming down to me and my sheep, Harold flew out wearing the other hunter's blown out boots and helped my pack out my sheep. To me, that exemplifies just how hard Harold is willing to work to ensure the success and enjoymment of his hunters.

He has a great camp too, with hydroelectric power being the differentiator over most others. With that comes the ability to freeze meat in camp, light 24/7, etc. The food and facilities were top notch as well.

The only significant differentiator as hit on above is the plane versus helicopter aspect, as Gana and I believe ARRO use supercubs rather than helicopters. The use of planes limits where they can put their hunters, and can result in a longer walk to game/back to the strip. My perspective was that sheep hunting isn't for the faint of heart to begin with, so a bit more walking was just part of the experience.

I'll be back up there in 2017.

If I can provide you any more color, feel free to PM me and I'll send you my cell #.

Last edited:

sdr

FNG
I have hunted with the Lancasters at Nahanni Butte and recommend them highly. I don't think you could do any better on a Dall Sheep hunt. The quality of the sheep they have be pulling out the last few years is crazy. I believe Aron just got back from there and could fill you in on his thoughts on the place.

AXEL

WKR
Hi, Don, glad to see ya here, excellent site, very nice folks, eh!

I wish that you and I had been able to go Stone's hunting together here in BC and I could have legally "hunter hosted" you.....would have been a fantastic time, but, even if it does ever become legal as I wish it would, I am now too crippled and old to do this sort of hunting.

Maybe, come for a Moose float trip, would get you some fine meat! :)

Nahanni... And ask for Kelly Weeb to guide you!!!! He is guide of the year (wild sheep) and has killed more sheep than I can dream of!

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
That is a monster ram! Did anyone ever kill it or did it die naturally? That's what dreams are made of.