NX8 1-8 for general purpose hunting

I assume you've been around LPVOs before. I have a couple, nothing high end like that. However I have a few NX8s of different flavors. No scope is great on the high end and I'd be willing to bet that if you go with the 1x8, you'll be using it on 6 to 8x about 90% of the time. I think you'd be better served with a typical scope.

NF NX8 1-8 x24 with FC-DMX reticle.

Up to now it's what I have been using on my main backcountry hunting rifle for black bear, elk, moose, goat and stone sheep. The rifle is a Kimber Hunter in .280 AI. The downside of the scope is the .2 mil per click adjustments, and the ffp.

I just switched that scope over to my Kimber Adirondack in 6.5cm to use for spring bear hunting starting in a day or two from now.

On order is a featherweight 7 saum prefit barrel for a T3 action with Wildcat stock. On it will be a March 1-10x24 SFP Mil. The adjustments are .1 mil. I think it will be an improvement over the NX8. If this setup turns out to be accurate and light enough, it will replace the Kimber Hunter .280 AI.

NF NX8 1-8 x24 with FC-DMX reticle.

Up to now it's what I have been using on my main backcountry hunting rifle for black bear, elk, moose, goat and stone sheep. The rifle is a Kimber Hunter in .280 AI. The downside of the scope is the .2 mil per click adjustments, and the ffp.

I just switched that scope over to my Kimber Adirondack in 6.5cm to use for spring bear hunting starting in a day or two from now.

On order is a featherweight 7 saum prefit barrel for a T3 action with Wildcat stock. On it will be a March 1-10x24 SFP Mil. The adjustments are .1 mil. I think it will be an improvement over the NX8. If this setup turns out to be accurate and light enough, it will replace the Kimber Hunter .280 AI.
Side note, why the 7 saum over the 280ai? Other than running it in a short action they seem very similar but I bet the 280 loads a little nicer.

The 1-8x ATACR is better optically than the 1-8x NX8. Thought completely usable, the NX8 falls off in clarity and resolution above 6x.

Side note, why the 7 saum over the 280ai? Other than running it in a short action they seem very similar but I bet the 280 loads a little nicer.
Only one reason really. To avoid a potential donut problem. With the saum in a Tikka long action, I should be able to seat the bullet above the neck shoulder junction. Donuts destroy precision and are a pain to deal with.

I'm building an ultralight 22 ARC on a Kimber 84M action to replace my Howa Mini in 223 for the same reason.

Back