Odd Question

Trial153

WKR
What the hell is a youth record anyway? I never heard of records based on the age of the person taking that animal.

A record is supposed to honor the animal not the person that killed it. So the age of the hunter is irrelevant.

Personally I would stay clear of the whole situation with my son.

Have it scored as soon as the drying time has elapsed then weigh your decision carefully.
Ask yourself if you want him to place his value on the hunt or the book and taylor your decision to mold the values you wish to instill in them.

Both of my boys have taken what would be state youth records but neither is in the books.
Zak’s Bluegill was a 1/2 oz short of the overall state record and 23 years out he’s satisfied with just knowing that.
Thomas’ Whitetail would be the #2 state youth record (as of when he killed it). After 2 years he still hasn’t decided about entering it but I believe at some point he will want it entered.
We didn’t publicize either although my friend still has Zak’s picture with his Bluegill hanging in his tackle shop. I asked him not to post the size/weight on the pic but it still draws lots of comments. A Diawa rep asked at the shop about using Zak’s picture for advertising and we declined.

I don't have kids, but I wouldn't want anything to do with it.
I'd have it mounted for xmas and let him brag it up locally all he wants.
Being humble is an endearing trait and I'd guess he may swing the other way, if it got to much attention.

He can always add it to the book in later yrs.
Unless you cant afford him the gear he needs and there gonna give him a bunch.
Seems to me he must have the gear he needs. Whatever he doesnt have didnt stop him from taking a monster, so he must not need it.

KurtR

WKR
If my kid shoots a deer like that wants to get it scored and registered that his decision. Hell I already gave him the choice to carry a gun and kill something. Glad to see him smiling and holding the rack and being happy. If he wants to do an interview let him it’s great life lessons. Funny thing is ask this on a whitetail forum or something more mid western and you get totally different answers. Congrats to your boy and if you do get if scored let’s us know what it ends up being. Here in our little town deer like that gets shot the school would have him bring it and show other kids and he would be front page of our once a week little paper.

16Bore

WKR
Record books and Instagram are probabaly the worst things to happen to hunting.

Michael54

WKR
I've never gotten a full mount so I don't know, but I though they would use the skull for the mount? Do they cap it and create a fake skull?
Yea the head is styrofoam, you cement the skull cap to the mount and then blend it in and stretch the hide over it.

svhunter

FNG
Awsome buck!!.... Almost got myself in similar position this year, don't have a clue about what his record status would have been. The buck has a beam broken off right side, outside of the beam that's there. Momma thinks maybe it is better this way. Although, man we wish he wasn't broke if ya know what I mean.20190928_202533.jpg20190928_192628.jpg