Ode to the Flank Steak

Sorry folks - I’m off for a couple days and have to share this sort of stuff.

For anyone that grew up poor in the ‘80s, here’s to ya! They used to burger this stuff or sell it at $1.99 until the rich folks found out what we ate on the holidays in the trailer park!

The legend lives on!!!

🤣🇺🇸🍺

9551306F-787D-41B4-B0FF-2B0682003F0F.jpeg4C9EDE3D-0FC1-4D53-A0CA-03DE996A240C.jpeg

OP
menhaden_man
Now that the common folk found flank steak the price has soared !!

And somebody’s gonna roast me for driving up point creep on flank steaks like I’m Guy f’n Eastman! Grill on fellas, the flavor is real!

Roy68

WKR
We have a grass fed/finished pasture to plate arm of the ranch and it’s amazing to me how many have no idea what a flank steak is. The same folks overlook the flat iron and skirt steaks too.

agardner00

Lil-Rokslider
c5e1ed705e1c10f3c1298cf18348f3b8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agardner00

Lil-Rokslider
“I won’t make clothes for women, and I won’t make clothes for fat guys, because then the skinny guys won’t look good in them. I want Kuiu to be an aspirational brand.”

I absolutely LOVE my Kuiu stuff. But I’m also kinda a fat guy...

Jon S

Lil-Rokslider
Had some skirt steak this summer on a raft trip, wondering where it comes from (where on the animal)? The grocery store butcher/gentleman cutting meat couldn’t tell me.

LostArra

WKR
Has anyone removed the hanger steak (another newly trendy cut) from the diaphragm on a game animal? I started the process on my son inlaws deer but the deer was on the ground rather than hanging and it just became not worth the effort so I left it for a fine-dining coyote.

Trial153

WKR
Hangers and skirts aren’t new at all. They both are taken from the diaphragm, the skirt off the dome while the hanger is attached the last rib over to lower vertebrae, hence the hanging.

Trial153

WKR
Most of the “skirt steak” you see labeled as such in retail setting isn’t actually skirt at all, it’s the top flap off chucks and is it re labeled. Almost all skirt and hangers end up in restaurants or cottage butcher shops.

michihunt

Lil-Rokslider
Love the skirt and flank steaks. Great for Fajitas. I always need to ask when giving beef cutting instructions as not that many people ask for them surprisingly. I worked at a custom butcher shop for a while and it was amazing how much of it went to grind. Needless to say, we had Fajita Wednesdays at work pretty often!

LostArra

WKR
Hangers and skirts aren’t new at all. They both are taken from the diaphragm, the skirt off the dome while the hanger is attached the last rib over to lower vertebrae, hence the hanging.

I agree they aren't "new" but now they are a chic restaurant item. They are also pricey since there is only one per animal.