Offset Red Dot for Hunting?

I've seen folks in the PRS community put offset red dots on their rifles for faster target acquisition. Curious to see if there are any hunters put there that have used this for hunting? Is this a useful tool for hunting?

I’ve used a red dot mounted on a spotting scope and it was much easier to get to a specific point. On a rifle, I would think it helps inexperienced shooters that don’t have a good target acquisition technique when shouldering the rifle. I’m guessing the biggest downside, other than weight and bulk, is it trains someone to line up based on an offset optic, complicating what should be rather instinctual and simple.

Shooting prairie dogs, it’s easy to see which shooters have good acquisition skills with high magnification and which hunt side to side in the scope - the longer you do something like this the better you get, but good technique from day one greatly shortens the learning curve.

If you use a variable optic with a low minimum power setting like 2.5x or 3x it’s probably unnecessary. Maybe 4x or greater it may be helpful

I use one on an AR I use for coyotes. It's offset at a 45degree to the primary optic. It's primarily for those occasions something pops up close where the mag on a scope can be problematic (think those targets that if you had a shotgun it would be perfect). It's pretty quick and accurate.

Back