Oil Changing GENIUS

So my wifes van burns about 2 qts of oil every 2500 miles... which is basically half way through the oil change interval. I completely understand why it burns oil AND the vehicle has 225K miles on it. We're currently saving for a new vehicle so I'm not interested in a rebuild that will cost 1/2 the value of the vehicle. About a year ago I stopped pulling the oil plug to drain the oil. I'll replace the oil filter and top it off with oil.

My logic is that if I'm replacing 1/2 the oil with new oil 1/2 way through the interval, then by the times I get to 5k miles, I'll have burned through another 2 quarts.. So whats the point of tossing perfectly good oil?

Maybe I'm missing something.. Sure I understand that yes there could be some old oil in the pan but its definitely getting diluted with fresh oil. I also switch my wifes oil from 0w-20 to 5w-20 in the summer because I don't need the low weight for cold starts in the summer.. The vehicle burns slightly less 5w in the summer than it burn 0w in the winter

OP
D
Are you letting it get two quarts low and adding or just continually topping off? I would continually top it off, change the filter once in a while and not even worry about it.

I top it off every 2500 miles. Its my wifes vehicle so I will check the oil on it every 3ish weeks or when my brain says "dude you need to check the oil on the van"

But yeah i'm just curious if people think I'm crazy for this methodology

The half that you're adding is constantly being diluted... So it's not as good as actually draining.

Plus, if you're burning that much oil, you're definitely getting more contamination than is ideal.

But since you don't really care about the vehicle, it's a calculated risk, and a pretty low risk.

Once upon a time during lunch with a petroleum engineer, I was told that the oil was stable over time but lubricant additives breakdown over time. I'm inclined to flush the system on a regular basis than adding to it.

49ereric

WKR
I have been using synthetic oil for so long now I thought oil burning engines were a thing of the past but it seems not.
Drain the oil and try a 10-30w.

EdP

WKR
In large industrial facilities with lubrication systems that supply oil to multiple pieces of equipment it is common to filter and replace additives and use the same oil for decades.

ODB

WKR
My uncle had an f150 that he changed the oil in exactly ONCE, at 110,000 miles. He drove it to 250k and sold it.

In a vehicle I cared about I'd say you need to drain the oil regardless, however it seems this vehicle is probably getting close to being on its last leg and you already have a replacement planned(or in the planning)... with that said I'd just keep doing what you're doing.

Just keep in mind like others have mentioned that the presence of contaminants(it burning oil is adding them, but also metal/etc) could reduce the life of the engine even further or straight up cause a catastrophic failure. I would hope you're already ready to buy a new van and just waiting on this one to kick the bucket fully.

dtrkyman

WKR
I had an old jeep with a main seal leak, quart or so every few months I guess, I rarely changed the oil just topped off, zero issues! Put the cheapest oil around at the time, so long ago I think I was paying a buck a quart or so!