Ok so I bit the 6.5 bullet.

I was in southern OR for a few days working last week and had to use facilities so I took a jaunt into Sportsmans Whse.

Thought Id go look at the guns and drool a bit, and low and behold! They had what I have been thinking about. Havnt been able to actrally find one yet.
Savage TH in 6.5 creedmore. Looked it over, fit well, well balanced, stock was centered on the barrel (equal space on each side of barrel) action was butter smooth, ok SOLD. I was out the door with it in under 45 min. Fed check only took 10 min! I was shocked.

Looked at scopes also, the Vortex HS 2.5-14 44mm, 30mm tube looks go be the perfect scope for what I will be doing with this rifle.
I compared that to a Leupold Gold ring and it was a night and day difference. I am very impressed with the clarity and brighness of that scope. I was reading prices and counting dots on a fish mount across the store with it. At 469, it seems as a great deal for what it is.

On to the rifle.
Took it to the range yesterday for a break in.
Range had alot of guys shooting, (Im not that experienced of a full-packed range shooter) so I went down toward the end got set up and ready to start break in. Then a shooter walked in beside me 2 lanes down with some cannon and a muzzle break. My gosh that thing was loud, and with every shot my hair would literally wave on my head. Never had that happen before. I must have been right in the gas off lane or something. :( My trump style comb over got parted the other way I think!
Anyway, so I shoot once at 100 and not expecting much. Well I didnt get much, bullet did not even hit the backstop. LOL (remember Im not a very experienced NEW rifle shooter.)
Clean, shoot repeat. Daughter 13 ys old behind the spotter says, "uhh I think it hit like off the board about 3 feet dad" HUH WTH!
I shoot again, this time asking her to really focus, and Im really focusing on my shot. BOP, nuthin but dirt, WTH!
Ok I can now accept the fact that factory that bore sighting means absolutely NOTHING so I proceed up to 10 shots cleaning between each.
Next time Ill shoot at 25 yd and see where the heck the bullet is hitting, do the math with the clicks and then get it hitting close then walk it in at 100.

Took out the 1964 REM pump .270. I killed a cow elk recently and shot it 4x hit in the center white 2x after adjusting aim in the scope. (rifle is sighted dead on at 200.) Its got a fixed 4x redfield scope and I cannot see the POI hole. Kid says I hit the white twice. Looked in the spotter, sure enuf, Hit 2x in the white eye. Yeah, redemption... LOL
That 6.5 recoil compared to the old .270 was about 1/3 or so less.
Anxious to get this 6.5 rifle "on paper" and shooting at what it is capable of.

You can bore sight it yourself - pull the bolt, sight down the barrel hole, and center it on the target, peak up at the scope and adjust accordingly. It's not super precise, but I have no issue hitting paper at 50ish yards doing that.
6.5 is a great round, have fun with it!

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
who mounted the scope? did it get bore sighted? A lot on the table here... Since I started mounting my own scopes I do the "ghetto bore sight" as described above (also using a corner on a wall works well too). Then head to the range and start at 25yds then 50 then 100...

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry, just read that it was bore sighted...Don't be discouraged, the last time I had a gun store bore sight my set up I asked if I could look at it and he was off by a mile... Just start at a closer range and walk it in.

OP
elkbowkevin
who mounted the scope? did it get bore sighted? A lot on the table here... Since I started mounting my own scopes I do the "ghetto bore sight" as described above (also using a corner on a wall works well too). Then head to the range and start at 25yds then 50 then 100...

Probably BS'd at factory I imagine. I may just do the "ghetto or wall method" and see how it goes.
Thinking on swapping the nikon it came with onto the 270 and putting this one below on the 6.5.

Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16x44 VMR-1 MRAD, Matte Black VHS-4309.
The vortex HS series seems to get pretty good reviews.

OP
elkbowkevin
So, I got to thinking, (bored and I work from home) and just or grins I took the rifle out, was looking it over and I saw a golf ball out in the back yard at about 25 yards. Curious, I pulled the bolt, padded up the rifle on the couch arm all supported, and lined it up with the golf ball in the center of the bore.
WOW that scope was off by at about 1/2 the FOV in the reticle at max power. No wonder it was hitting way out in the dirt. LOL

I adjusted it to be maybe 1 MOA high on that golf ball at +/- 25 yards in the scope, golf ball was centered in the bore. So now maybe at 50yd POI should be at least on the paper? I hope anyway. Will shoot again this weekend probably.

Geez, whomever bore sighted that rifle, (if they even did so) it must have been after their 2 joint coffee break cuz it was WAY HIGH.

I will post up results after I get this critter zero'd and happy. I've never broke in a new rifle before, so I figure another 10 shots or so with a clean'n in between each round should be good for break in? Is this overkill or a good idea? Ive only got 10 shots through it now.
Thanks for the help guys. I am a new rifle noob and it shows. :)

So, I got to thinking, (bored and I work from home) and just or grins I took the rifle out, was looking it over and I saw a golf ball out in the back yard at about 25 yards. Curious, I pulled the bolt, padded up the rifle on the couch arm all supported, and lined it up with the golf ball in the center of the bore.
WOW that scope was off by at about 1/2 the FOV in the reticle at max power. No wonder it was hitting way out in the dirt. LOL

I adjusted it to be maybe 1 MOA high on that golf ball at +/- 25 yards in the scope, golf ball was centered in the bore. So now maybe at 50yd POI should be at least on the paper? I hope anyway. Will shoot again this weekend probably.

Geez, whomever bore sighted that rifle, (if they even did so) it must have been after their 2 joint coffee break cuz it was WAY HIGH.

I will post up results after I get this critter zero'd and happy. I've never broke in a new rifle before, so I figure another 10 shots or so with a clean'n in between each round should be good for break in? Is this overkill or a good idea? Ive only got 10 shots through it now.
Thanks for the help guys. I am a new rifle noob and it shows. :)

Should get you on paper at 25-50 for sure. Barrel break in is pretty personal opinion. I have done it, and I have not done it - and ironically the one I didn't do that much (cleaned, shot 3 times, cleaned, shot 10, cleaned then forgot about it) shoots best.
Most people tell me not to worry about it - if you have already shot and cleaned 10, I say you are fine - and savages shoot best after 8-10 fouling shots anyway.... at least that's been my experience. use those 8-10 to get sighted in (with decent cooling time between every 3-5 shots) then go for a nice group and see how she shoots. My savage 6.5 loves the eld 140 match :)

GKPrice

Banned

just remember that adjusting the scope this way means you must dial it backwards

Clarktar

WKR
6.5's are pretty fun. I only have one but I really enjoy shooting it!

GKPrice

Banned
I ordered a Kimber Hunter Creedmor this morning and had I found a Ruger American in SS on the rack I'd have purchased one as well - I've got the bug

GKPrice

Banned
I ordered a Kimber Hunter Creedmor this morning and had I found a Ruger American in SS on the rack I'd have purchased one as well - I've got the bug
Well, being the impatient sort that I am I just made a deal with a dealer on Gunbroker for a Hunter 6.5 Creedmor, I'll call with CC # in the morning - When the one I ordered shows up (from Kimber direct who can say) I'll talk my son into it ..... When I get back from WY I'll have a new "toy" to explore

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
Keep at it. My 6.5 CMs make nice little tiny groups. Shoot out to 1k nicely, and are very easy on the shoulder.

OP
elkbowkevin
Ya that's part in why I chose the 6.5 over a 308 or another .270
I have a rebuilt rifle anchor (right shoulder) with a nice fat metal screw in there under the gun butts. I feel it on every shot. It will be nice to have a good flat shooter with good balistics WITHOUT getting magnum shoulder hits.
While shotgunning geese and ducks I often get that not so nice arm numbing zap to the nerves in the shoulder that pinches for a good 20 min or so and the hand goes a little numb along with it. So far the creedmore seems pretty nice on the shoulder.

GKPrice

Banned
Ya that's part in why I chose the 6.5 over a 308 or another .270
I have a rebuilt rifle anchor (right shoulder) with a nice fat metal screw in there under the gun butts. I feel it on every shot. It will be nice to have a good flat shooter with good balistics WITHOUT getting magnum shoulder hits.
While shotgunning geese and ducks I often get that not so nice arm numbing zap to the nerves in the shoulder that pinches for a good 20 min or so and the hand goes a little numb along with it. So far the creedmore seems pretty nice on the shoulder.

Just another good reason for the Creedmor, shoulder injuries and surgery aftermath are the pitts, I've had more than my share so I feel for you - I get guff from my rancher buddy's dad for my Limbsaver recoil pads, tells me the only pads allowed on the ranch are for girls or notes

Really hard to believe all the hoopla over the creedmore. You would think its the first 6.5 ever produced. 260 been around for a while and gets little publicity even with its better ballistics. BTW whos going to be first with a 6.5 creedmore AI???
Not a hater as am in love with the hells canyon and hope to have one as soon as available. Coin toss for me. 243 or 6.5 c

Boreal

WKR
I picked up a Kimber Montana 6.5 Creedmoor last week. Compared bare gun weight to the Mountain Ascent and both in 6.5 Creedmoor were 5 lb even. Saved $600 on the Montana and promptly blew it on a Z3 3-9x36. All together with Talley rings is 6 lb even.

Did a box worth of barrel break in, cleaning and cooling between 3- shot groups and started to pay attention to placement after 3rd group.

This is shots 10-12 with American Whitetails 129 gr.
dda06281eb4471e64de20c81d72fd0a5.jpg

13-15
d1898a1d50df87ba74ecb98a8b128e70.jpg

And 19-20. Same hole.
e66b918d2f0421c532455cceadaa0923.jpg

This is my first Kimber and I'm impressed. And love this 6.5 Creed. A friend who has hunted caribou with his for the last few years calls it the "bleedmoor". I'm hoping for good things for black tailed deer and caribou.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk