On the road exercise ideas

I’m looking for any ideas on increasing resistance into my workouts while on the road. I work out of town 300+ days a year, so a gym membership does me little good for the two or three days a month I am home. I stay in many different areas, some hotels have decent gyms and some don’t. Cardio isn’t an issue since running is free and available everywhere, but as far as strength training I’m kind of at a loss. Pushups, squats, lunges, sit-ups, etc. are all I can really manage to do with the resources I have. I can always increase reps, but any ideas on increasing the resistance?

I travel for work a lot, but not as much as you. Last year I had about 100 nights on the road. Not sure about you, but I go to the same cities over and over again, I keep notes on hotel gyms and try to book with the ones I have stayed at that have legit gyms. I have a few that I stay at where I look forward to real legit workouts because of their fitness facility setups.

Also depending on your schedule, most gyms have a daily drop in fee that you can pay...maybe $10-$20. It would probably get expensive over time, but I have done that when staying close to a Gold's, 24 hr., anytime, etc. Orange Theory also allows drop ins.

EYJONAS!

FNG
Look at MTN Tough 30-30 program they have. That's exactly what they were designed for. No machine, no gym, no tools. just you and yourself is all it takes to do the workouts. I have done a lot of them and they are no joke.

GShaw

FNG
Get a set of resistance bands. Allows increased resistance for squats and pushups. Easy to put in airline bags and weigh next to nothing.

*zap*

WKR
Some chain gyms are in a lot of different places and your membership should allow entry into any of them.

Resistance bands.
But I'd say for your circumstance you should consider personalized professional guidance. You'll be able to discuss your limitations better then you can explain in here.

Personal trainer, good crossfit coach, mtn tough, elkshape etc

Ratamahatta

Lil-Rokslider
If you drive get a few different kettle bells and workout in the room, then load your pack and hike up and down in the stairwell.

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider

or something like this to lift around

I also wouldn’t discount taking an empty pack and a canvas bag to fill with random things from around the hotel - rocks etc.

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the MARSOC Short Card. It’s a calisthenics workout that lasts about 15-20 minutes and can be done anywhere (minus the pull-ups which require a bar). It’s awesome!

Designed by the Marines Special Opetations Command. It’s simple but a total a$$ kicker. Try to beat your previous best time to complete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Demunds

FNG
The Insanity workouts are no joke even if you can’t keep up with every move at pace. $100 gets you a year subscription to BeachBody On Demand which has these and a lot of other stuff I really haven’t even checked out, but you can easily mix a good HIIT workout with weights the next day and runs mixed in. Good variety.

I travel in places that typically have a planet fitness so I just work out there because for 22 a month you can work out at any of them.

Resistance bands, push ups, wall sits, body squats, lunges, sit ups, planks and press handstand have all benefited me in hotel rooms before I had the pf membership.

Now if there isn't a pf around I just go run.

Most of my athletes travel with resistance bands sets when they know they won't be able to get to a gym

tdot

WKR
TRX has been pretty handy for me. You might need to get creative with how to hang it, but I've hung it on everything from a bathroom door frame, to a tree to the mast of a sailboat.

jp0212

FNG
Your best bet would be to buy a good program from a company that sells them. One of the best out there I recommend checking out is Athlean-X.com When purchase a plan, there is a slider bar that lets you choose whether or not you have a gym accessible. If you don't have one that day, it gives you exercise you can do at home (or on the road). Really awesome programs with varying degrees of difficulty. The program you would select is based on your current fitness level.

Check with your health insurance. Some plans have a membership program with participating gyms nationwide, such as Fitness Your Way by Tivity Health. Might be an idea if you like a structured gym environment for workouts.