One and Done?

traviswdalton

Lil-Rokslider
I’m probably one and done but not by choice. Doubt I’ll ever top my first elk but I’d go back with nothing but a cow tag every year if I could afford it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd forget the partner option and just go solo.......then you can really work on getting yourself that kill without having to drag anyone else around.

That's exactly right. In most cases, unless you already have hunters you trust as partners in your circle, who wants to spend the next 5 years finding out if you're compatible with someone? Not me. Only a select few I'd hunt with and or have hunted with when the opportunity was there. If your pals don't want to venture west? I'd hop in the truck and make your next stop in September, in the Elkwoods ;)

If I could get a good deer tag every year and maybe some other tags to fill the freezer I would be fine not elk hunting. I have been on 2 bull hunts and killed 2 bulls but I wouldn't care if I didn't hunt elk again. The way hunting is now in many states if you want to hunt every year you have to apply for many hunts and hope for the best. I just want to hunt and fill the freezer so all game is on the menu. If I am applying I may as well apply for elk and take advantage if I draw. I enjoyed hunting elk and will again but its for the opportunity to be hunting not because I want to hunt elk specifically.

Ctpa61

FNG
Though that would be the case after my first hunt, unsuccessful. Said I would go till I got one. Scored in 2016 for the first time on a bull. Been hooked ever since. I guess it is like crack or heroin but in a good way cuz it had kept me in some sort of shape and passionate about something.

If I could get a good deer tag every year and maybe some other tags to fill the freezer I would be fine not elk hunting. I have been on 2 bull hunts and killed 2 bulls but I wouldn't care if I didn't hunt elk again. The way hunting is now in many states if you want to hunt every year you have to apply for many hunts and hope for the best. I just want to hunt and fill the freezer so all game is on the menu. If I am applying I may as well apply for elk and take advantage if I draw. I enjoyed hunting elk and will again but its for the opportunity to be hunting not because I want to hunt elk specifically.

Since you are a meat hunter and any elk will do, why not do OTC while you still can? Plenty of ES OTC tags available.....

MtnOyster

WKR
I went on my first elk hunt bow in 1992 at 20 years old, had the time of my life but couldn’t find another partner or group to go back bow hunting, everyone from my neck of the woods went out west gun hunting in those days and I just bow hunted only then.
Unfortunately......(for western hunting) life took over, built a house, got married had and raised our kids and found myself not going at all until 24 years later, I hate to say it but the changes that took place in Colorado all those years made me sick when I drove through the developed areas that were once just part of the landscape after all those years, after a near death experience I told my wife I was going back west and never quitting until they shoveled dirt in my face, that was 4 years ago and been enjoying every second out there...... no regrets but wished I could have made going elk hunting an every year thing all those years I missed.

I couldn't imagine being 1 and done. My first encounter with an elk was after 10 days of hard work and a 6 point bull screaming in my face at 10 yards. It was a life changing experience in 2008. My love for bowhunting and bowhunting elk was instantaneous. The lifelong quest started and will be apart of my life until it isn't. September is coming soon. Will you be ready?

Last edited: