One of the 10 new Colorado wolves is dead.

You must not have paid attention to Washington, Idaho, Montana or Wyoming.....they'll just bring more and say some bullshit about breeding pairs are the necessary metric.
One can only hope…… This time its not the feds, its state level so public distaste can create policy

Reactions: mjh

Hnthrdr

WKR

More news...
Once again more BS… “ the will of the voters wouldn’t want that wolf killed” ummm 🤔 flexing that .9% pretty hard IMO we have to get rid of ballot box biology. Also the proposition had nothing in it about a wolf killing livestock it simply stated they were going to introduce wolves into Co by 2023…

Heck a Michigander was killed in Elbert this week too.

This is the second time I've seen it called a MI wolf. Is there genetics tying it to MI? Because it's even more odd if it came from MI rather than the much closer portions of the great lakes range in WI or MN.

sndmn11

WKR
This is the second time I've seen it called a MI wolf. Is there genetics tying it to MI? Because it's even more odd if it came from MI rather than the much closer portions of the great lakes range in WI or MN.
The news articles I read said they tested it.

EDIT---> That is my mistake. "Great Lakes population" is what was used in the articles I read and I associate that with Michigan. @wind gypsy

Hnthrdr

WKR
The news articles I read said they tested it.

EDIT---> That is my mistake. "Great Lakes population" is what was used in the articles I read and I associate that with Michigan. @wind gypsy
It’s all the Tim Allen narrated “Pure Michigan” commercials they used to run, I just assume Great Lakes = Michigan

medvedyt

Lil-Rokslider
You guys have problems. The best thing you can hope for is the numbers explode and you can hunt them.

What's going to happen though is that they'll stay JUUUUUUUST under some bullshit threshold that will keep moving and they will stay protected and have agents ready to pounce on concerned citizens who self police their property and stock.

Us folks north of you have watched this show already.
if you ever hunt wolf let me know your success rate ... i can take 7 a year ...

IDVortex

WKR
You guys have problems. The best thing you can hope for is the numbers explode and you can hunt them.

What's going to happen though is that they'll stay JUUUUUUUST under some bullshit threshold that will keep moving and they will stay protected and have agents ready to pounce on concerned citizens who self police their property and stock.

Us folks north of you have watched this show already.
Id rather them keep them under the threshold, because then that's hopefully the best management of them instead of letting hunters go after them. Look at Idaho, we can buy as many tags as we want, but the amount of wolves killed is a drop in the ocean. They should be hunted instantly if anything. Not when the numbers have exploded and unmanageable.

Wrench

WKR
Id rather them keep them under the threshold, because then that's hopefully the best management of them instead of letting hunters go after them. Look at Idaho, we can buy as many tags as we want, but the amount of wolves killed is a drop in the ocean. They should be hunted instantly if anything. Not when the numbers have exploded and unmanageable.
The problem is the way they're counted. They measure the "breeding pairs" packs as if two adolescent wolves never mated when mom and dad weren't looking. When the breeding pair numbers get close, one of the alpha's gets killed and suddenly that pack size means nothing because it's stagnant.

I've never seen shittier science. Wolves are awful to monitor because they don't have a specific winter range and they just about never stop moving.

Wrench

WKR
At least colorado has more open terrain than we do which should make for shot opportunities. They are very hard to hunt here in the jungle and poison and traps are about the only successful way to slow them down.

Hnthrdr

WKR
only 2 ... it is not that im not trying .... in more than 13 years ...
I feel ya, never had the chance and likely never will. That is impressive I don’t think most guys realize how hard it is to kill wolves, especially when you can’t poison or trap