One pin or three pin slider

Swamp Fox

WKR
Single pin been berry, berry good to me.

(You need to be a certain age or a certain weirdo to know that reference.)

Fixed or slider: As long as it's single-pin, that's me.

You need to know your bow and your shot to pull this off.

I dislike multi-pins for my hunting and my bows. Have hunted a single pin slider out to 70 yards and a fixed single to 40. (Whitetails, turkeys, etc. No elk.)

I'm not shooting fast bows (some are 80's slow, flingin' 'luminum, LOL), but shooting a lot. (At practice. :) )

At this late point in my career, I can confidently say my brain and eyes are not and never were wired for multi-pins.

I would much rather keep an extremely clean sight picture and hunt to my bow than to pick pins.

Not that there's anything wrong with that ....

I keep searching for the magic bullet, though, LOL.

OP
D

Duuane

FNG
Actually, your 30 yard pin will likely be dead on at about 6-8 yards, 2” high at 20 yards, dead on again at 30 yards, and about 2-3” low at 35 yards. Try it! (Will vary depending on arrow weight and speed, obviously)
When I had my original HHA single pin, not sure what it was called, but the new ones are optimizer lite, I always had it set at 25 yards. Maybe 30 was better.

MarkOrtiz

Lil-Rokslider
I guess the pro argument would be you don't have to adjust a 3 pin until past 40 yards if you sight your pins at 20-30-40.

The con would be a more cluttered sight picture.
I would say this is the best pros/cons argument. I would do 30-40-50. Then know where you hit from 30 in and you might have more time to dial from 50 out.

OP
D

Duuane

FNG
Single pin been berry, berry good to me.

(You need to be a certain age or a certain weirdo to know that reference.)

Fixed or slider: As long as it's single-pin, that's me.

You need to know your bow and your shot to pull this off.

I dislike multi-pins for my hunting and my bows. Have hunted a single pin slider out to 70 yards and a fixed single to 40. (Whitetails, turkeys, etc. No elk.)

I'm not shooting fast bows (some are 80's slow, flingin' 'luminum, LOL), but shooting a lot. (At practice. :) )

At this late point in my career, I can confidently say my brain and eyes are not and never were wired for multi-pins.

I would much rather keep an extremely clean sight picture and hunt to my bow than to pick pins.

Not that there's anything wrong with that ....

I keep searching for the magic bullet, though, LOL.
Swamp Fox I didn’t see this post when you did it, and as luck would have it, I am of that age….I got your first reference, and your somewhat newer but still 30 year old reference of your second to last line.

Swamp Fox

WKR
Swamp Fox I didn’t see this post when you did it, and as luck would have it, I am of that age….I got your first reference, and your somewhat newer but still 30 year old reference of your second to last line.

At this point in my life, I'm just glad SOMEBODY is payin' attention ....

LOL

Good luck to you. Hunt well. : )

rclouse79

WKR
I started with a one pin HHA sight and went to the three pin Spot Hogg. I don't see any drawbacks to the three pin and see myself shooting it for many more years.

CMF

WKR
IMHO, A 20 yard pin has no business on a hunting bow unless your draw weight is 50 pounds/under, or you are shooting a turkey. Hold 2-3” low with your 30 pin.
In earlier years I had 25/40/50, but this past season I had my 3 pin slider set 20/30/40 for grouse while elk hunting(and currently hunting turkeys) But If it weren't for shooting birds I would do 25/40/50.
I miss having the 50 yd pin so I recently ordered a 4th pin to try, but I think I'm going to end up back at 3 pins at 25/40/50.