One shot question šŸ§

JjamesIII

WKR
I have been shooting my reloads without cleaning off the one shot lube, even when I was using imperial die wax I never really cleaned my cases after resizing, come to think of it. Anyway, do you guys take the extra time to clean the one shot off after resizing? To my knowledge, I donā€™t think an occasional bullet outside of the group can be associated with not cleaning the lube off, but maybe???

Iā€™d like to hear from anyone that has actually noticed taking time cleaning one shot lube off being better vs. getting negative experiences leaving it on their cases. I know what the traditional guides say- I want to hear from our Rockslide subject matter experts šŸ˜‰.

deadwolf

WKR
I wouldnā€™t say Iā€™m an expert, but I am meticulous in my loading and always tumble a second time after resizing to get the lube off. There has been occasion where I was only loading up a small batch of less than a dozen and I would just wipe them off.

I donā€™t want introduce any debris and contaminants into the action or chamber and leaving the lube on is asking for trouble in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of different methods as to brass prep guess it depends on ones routine, as for me my procedures are if not super dirty wipe down the brass this is a first step in the brass inspection block it give it a blast of one shot size it then in the tumbler (if really full of dirt or super dirty, I will wash it in clean water then set it in the sun to dry, or depending on the cal. And as how hard it is to acquire such brass just pitch it) for me this ensures thereā€™s no left over Traces of lube on the brass to collect or add to the fouling in the chamber.

I wasn't wiping off one shot, then recently i started getting weird pressure signs after 8+ shots. Chamber was black and slick, but the gunk wiped right out. The residue ooks just like one shot does when I clean it off, so I'm hoping wiping the cases fixes the issue.

I always clean it even if it's just a 30 minute dry tumble. In the whole scheme of the reloading process that is a minor inconvenience.

Brass needs to grip the chamber when firing to seal it off. Leaving it lubricated is a good way to increase bolt thrust and get your chamber all gummy.

ID_Matt

WKR
I always tumble after sizing to get lube off. In my early days of loading, I had an action start to show early pressure signs, when my gunsmith tore it apart he said the one-shot was fairly caked in there from not cleaning it off brass well enough.

jfk69

Lil-Rokslider
I always tumble after FL resizing. Not always if I neck size. Yes Iā€™m an uneducated rube who still neck sizes.

OP
J

JjamesIII

WKR
Iā€™m going to give the 90 alcohol spray a go. Seems like the quickest method. Thanks for the tip.

My procedure is: deprime, then 1.5 hour wet tumble (btw - try ditching the stainless media šŸ¤™šŸ») then resize/load. Iā€™d hate to throw them back in a tumbler if I could avoid it, but I see why you do.

ropeup79

Lil-Rokslider
I wipe the 1 Shot off when I trim. I use the Lee trimmer with a hand drill. I wipe the cases as I spin them chucked in the shell holder.

Iā€™m going to give the 90 alcohol spray a go. Seems like the quickest method. Thanks for the tip.

My procedure is: deprime, then 1.5 hour wet tumble (btw - try ditching the stainless media šŸ¤™šŸ») then resize/load. Iā€™d hate to throw them back in a tumbler if I could avoid it, but I see why you do.
Unless they are pretty dirty I just skip the first tumble. 1 shot spray them, decap/FL size in one step, tumble lube off, prime, charge, seat.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I have been shooting my reloads without cleaning off the one shot lube, even when I was using imperial die wax I never really cleaned my cases after resizing, come to think of it. Anyway, do you guys take the extra time to clean the one shot off after resizing? To my knowledge, I donā€™t think an occasional bullet outside of the group can be associated with not cleaning the lube off, but maybe???

Iā€™d like to hear from anyone that has actually noticed taking time cleaning one shot lube off being better vs. getting negative experiences leaving it on their cases. I know what the traditional guides say- I want to hear from our Rockslide subject matter experts šŸ˜‰.

After sizing throw them all on a towel. Then fold it up and roll it around to wipe it off.

Erict

WKR
I spray cases in a loading block so rarely do they get spray in the lower 25%. I use quick towel method, no solvents and never saw a problem.

Friend likes to keep every rifle in his safe well lubed, inside and out. Forgot to clean the chamber before a woodchuck hunt and found out what happens when there is no case grip (FYI - it should read "6 mm BR REM"):

1711826368504.png

Last edited: