onXmaps download size/time

idcuda

WKR
Anyone else have an issue with the massive file size when downloading maps to your cache in the Hunt App (onXmaps) on your phone? I have to choose really small areas to download or the files will take half a day to download. I often cover many miles when I'm out (atv'ing or hunting multiple days), so the time to download big areas has been a handicap for the onXmaps.

On the other hand, I can download massive areas in Backcountry Navigator and it'll be done in minutes. I understand the onX has many more layers, but the difference shouldn't be so large. It seems like I used to be able to choose a lower-resolution that would allow me to grab more, but I think that option was canned in the new version.

Boomer51

FNG
I do 10 sections on my iPhone in just a few minutes. Make sure your phone is hooked to a fast wifi connection and it should go quickly.

Jim

OP
idcuda

idcuda

WKR
I'm on a great WiFi connection. This is strictly an onxmap app issue for me - is even slow when it's rendering a map and the layers.

muleman

WKR
I've seen some issues since the latest major release on Android. Sometimes it is quick and other times doggy. All on a soild 55Mbps down WiFi connection.

Mike7

WKR
I have been having some problems with downloads on my Android also since the last update, but I have a bigger problem even trying to delete maps. The program will say uninstalling and then OnXMaps will stop and close down when about 50% of the map only is uninstalled typically. I have made it to 100% uninstalled once or twice, and still the map is on the system. I don't understand why the darn thing just won't delete the dang map. I have sent the reports to OnXMaps, so we will see?

This is why I usually dont update to the newest version of an app till about 2-3 weeks after its issued, let the bugs get worked out of it.
Good thing is Onx is pretty quick about getting back to questions and issues solved. They have a big marketing presence and if there are issues they seem to get em solved.