Opinions on my poi change after wads

Knurling with a couple files just creates a rough surface on the bullet that causes it to grip the sabot better. Some have theorized that a slick bullet can slip in the sabot as the sabot is fired (especially at the moment the powder ignites) and travels down the bore. Any inconsistencies can affect groups (dispersion). Most of us have seen improvements in group size (sometimes dramatic ones) by knurling saboted bullets (especially monometal bullets like Barnes). You basically roll the bullet between two files. You can do search on a dedicated muzzy forum like ModernMuzzleloader for more specific info.
It can also help “raise” the bullet. So if your bullet is a hair undersized it helps to fit a bit better. I’ve tried it, and abandoned it almost as fast lol.

On the note about Barnes, and probably any mono bullet. They’re a tad hard, and sometimes they need extra help to get them sealed properly and that’s where a wad really helps. I’ve strayed from the conventional methods and shoot a smokeless these days without a sabot, but I’d never heard of using wads until I got my smokeless.

Wrench

WKR
On lubed vs non, I make my own wads. I've used wool felt, cork gasket, .090" gasket and cereal box.

The wool is what I use now. I have tried 9/16 and 1/2" punches. The 1/2" fits snug enough to need to be pushed down the bore. The 9/16 needs to be squished into the bore. I saw not enough differences between them to fight the 9/16. I have shot wads dry, lanolin lubed and coconut oil lubed. I absolutely see a difference between dry and lubed in the crud ring. The lanolin essentially stops the build up from happening. I use about 2 tablespoons to 100 wads and mash them together in a ziploc till they're uniform in color. They do not feel lubed, but if you squeeze them in a vice or pliers....they will bleed lanolin. I'm shooting conicals so I can't say that it will make a big difference with sabots, but if you have seem any of my posts on how my progress with my rifles has gone....you'll know it works. I just made a 282 yard first round hit perfectly last Friday using the wad above.