Optics Advice

I know this topic has been beat to death a million different ways, and I've looked through dozens of threads on here and elsewhere. But I'm a terrible overthinker and can't make up my mind. I'm going to be having about $1500 of disposable income, and plan to spend at least some, if not all on optics for high country, colorado mule deer. My current setup is a pair of Maven b1.2 in 8x42 which I absolutely love for back east, and a Maven s2 12x27 spotter, that left me wanting a little more when I hunted in Wyoming this past year in a mix of high country basins and high country sage. The 8x42s were good on a tripod, but I felt like I could have used a little more for binos, which left me glassing alot with the spotter, which was a pain closing one eye but not totally miserable. I was thinking of either, 1. Selling my s2 spotter, keep the 8x42s, and spend all the money on a good spotting scope. 2. Selling the spotter, and buying a midrange, higher power spotter like the athlon ares or maven cs1, and spending the bulk of the money on a good pair of maven 11x45s, or 12x56, or similar and glassing with these and using the spotter to get a closer look. I like the idea of having binos I can comfortably wear on my chest, and glass out to a mile or a little more on a tripod, and having a spotter in my pack I can use to get a closer look, and do some glassing with ato ger distance. Sorry for the long winded post, appreciate any feedback.

OP
P
You could buy a pair of 15x binos to put on the tripod then decide if you wabt to keep the spotting scope or not
I had though about that, with the one I have now I was able to find deer, but it was tough to judge what they were, especially in low light, I just felt like it didn't have enough magnification or pull enough light with the 56mm lens at higher magnification. I'm pretty positive I want to get a bigger spotter, but struggling whether I should just keep my 8x42 binos for glassing on a tripod, and spend money on a good spotter to get a close look once I find animals, or buy a more mid level spotter, and some good 12x binos for better glassing

Firehawk

WKR
I am an "8x" guy as well. Mine are actually 8.5x 42 ELs, but I used Maven B2 9x45 for years. I wouldn't be disappointed if I had to move back to those Mavens either. On a tripod, both are amazing.

I had a CS.1A Maven spotter as well. If it would have been a straight version, I would still own it, but I just couldn't get used to angled. Much prefer straight for my hunting jaunts typically. I now have a Maven S2 although I have only had it a short time and can't comment yet whether it works the way I need it to.

What I will say is that I found myself leaving my spotter (Maven CS.1A and my Kowa 774 which I sold last year after not using it as often as planned) to save weight. I use a 15x56 Meopta Meostar HD on my tripod and it is so easy to sit behind for long sits. Much more comfortable than a spotter. But they are heavy as well. So...I often left them behind and thus the decision to get the S2. Gives me a similar option to the 15x bino to verify what I find with my 8.5x Swaros, with less bulk and weight. We will find out soon enough if I like this new arrangement. I would still like a CS.1S straight spotter to compare, but the S2 is awesome glass. May find a way to pick up the Swaro STC in the future as it may be the perfect option.

My point is, use your 8x bino and enjoy them. Great little binos with a good view and perform excellent on a tripod. Spotter vs 15s is a personal question and probably a question regarding how you use it. The 15x bino have found a permanent home in my optics arsenal. I would go without a spotter before I went away from the 15x bino now.

Good luck!
FH

ScottP

WKR
What I settled on for mule deer (and all other recent mountain hunts):
12x50 bino w/adapter
25-60x 77mm spotter

The spotter will sometimes stay in the truck, depending on the situation.
I had a pair of 15x56 binos but sold them and got the 12s.

In your previous experience, what is more comfortable for you? Glassing with your binoculars on the tripod or glassing with your spotting scope on your tripod? Most folks cannot effectively glass with a spotting scope which is why a lot of have 15x binoculars (as an example).

Whichever one works best for you is the one to replace or add to your optics arsenal.