Optics protection

With my first western mountain hunt (British Columbia mountain goat) being closer to reality, I am seriously considering digging deep for a new pair of Swarovski (or similar quality) binoculars. Hunting whitetails in the thick woods of Ontario and New York has meant that an old pair of Nikons on a chest harness have served me well thus far - but that setup will be inadequate.

What some of precautions to people take (chest pouch, using lens covers, etc.) to protect their high end optics? I don't want to spend $2-3k on a pair of binoculars and then be extremely paranoid about them!

Trial153

WKR
Buy them and a popular chest harness and dont worry about them, they will be fine.
There are ton of harness options, AGC, Sitka, Marsupial, FHF ect ect.

carter33

WKR
You could always look into insuring them with whoever your insurance provider is. A while back after an incident on a river I decided to insure some of my firearms and attached scopes. If and when I purchase high end glass I plan to do the same with them. The insurance covers them in the event of loss, similar to covering a wedding ring or other expensive jewelry.

ljalberta

WKR
I just make sure mine are in a harness of some sorts. Usually an AGC. If I'm just bringing them on vacation or something similar I'll either keep them in a case, or I'll throw the lens covers on them.

Brent111368

Lil-Rokslider
I am OCD about always having the lens covered. I just use the Rick Young harness. To me, cleaning the glass is likely where the damage will take place, so keep them covered, always, and clean as infrequently as possible.