Optima V2 Ghost Ring Sight

PaLuke

FNG
Hello, does Williams make a ghost ring sight that uses the rear scope base holes for mounting? I cannot find anything on their website. I called and left a message for a call back. Thanks for your help.

OP
P

PaLuke

FNG
Thank you for the reply. I received a call from Alex at Williams late yesterday and he recommended the WGRS style peep. Number 70154. He said this will mount in the rear scope base mounting hole. The Ace in the hole looks like it will also work but this wasn’t confirmed by Williams. I didn’t ask actually. Their Ghost Ring sight will work with the WGRS ramp if you want to go that route. Thanks again.

Thank you for the reply. I received a call from Alex at Williams late yesterday and he recommended the WGRS style peep. Number 70154. He said this will mount in the rear scope base mounting hole. The Ace in the hole looks like it will also work but this wasn’t confirmed by Williams. I didn’t ask actually. Their Ghost Ring sight will work with the WGRS ramp if you want to go that route. Thanks again.
That 70154 is exactly what I use on my Optima V2. Great rear sight. When combined with the factory front fiber optic "bead" I get a really nice and useful sight picture. I sight in at the tip of the bead a hair high at 100, and the bottom of the bead puts me at 200.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That 70154 is exactly what I use on my Optima V2. Great rear sight. When combined with the factory front fiber optic "bead" I get a really nice and useful sight picture. I sight in at the tip of the bead a hair high at 100, and the bottom of the bead puts me at 200.
Really? I had to shorten my V2 front sight a lot to work with the Williams peep. It’s fine now that filed it down to a new much shorter point but it wasn’t close to on target prior with adjustment maxed out (talking a couple feet off at 100yd).

OP
P

PaLuke

FNG
I also need to get a shorter front sight. I shot a little yesterday and was 5” low at 50 yards and had my peep sight as high as it would go. I read somewhere that you can purchase shorter front sights. Now to find it again. I’ll post when I come across the website. Thanks for the replies.

Really? I had to shorten my V2 front sight a lot to work with the Williams peep. It’s fine now that filed it down to a new much shorter point but it wasn’t close to on target prior with adjustment maxed out (talking a couple feet off at 100yd).
We must have different front sights. Mine is a fiber optic bead. Different loads may require different front sights as well, if the rear sight runs out of adjustment.

I also need to get a shorter front sight. I shot a little yesterday and was 5” low at 50 yards and had my peep sight as high as it would go. I read somewhere that you can purchase shorter front sights. Now to find it again. I’ll post when I come across the website. Thanks for the replies.
You can also shim your rear sight if you can't find the correct front sight.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We must have different front sights. Mine is a fiber optic bead. Different loads may require different front sights as well, if the rear sight runs out of adjustment.

Mine was fiber optic also. Mine is 2yr old and that one with the Williams peep was much too tall, the rear would have needed a really thick shim and new screws which I didn't want to do. Since a replacement front sight was likely needed I decided to rework the factory front sight first (nothing to loose) which is an aluminum base under that fiber optic, I filed that base to a point to make a new lower front sight.

Ah, gotcha. After I posted that, I wondered if you had filed the bottom of the sight.

I only have issues with heavy full-bore conicals and a mild powder charge. If I use a full powder charge (ouch!) and lighter conicals, I can get my sight on at 100 no problem. I think it's really meant for sabots though. In that case, there is plenty of adjustment.

I’m about to order some Thor bullets. What kind of accuracy are you getting with them? I’m currently shooting 300 grain Hornady fpb’s over 100 grains of bh 209 and only get about 3” groups at 100. That’s with a scope which of course would come off when I go back to Colorado

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’m about to order some Thor bullets. What kind of accuracy are you getting with them? I’m currently shooting 300 grain Hornady fpb’s over 100 grains of bh 209 and only get about 3” groups at 100. That’s with a scope which of course would come off when I go back to Colorado

Haven't shot it a ton to be honest since it seems to shoot fine and I've filled my tag both times I took it out, I quickly concluded the gun accuracy will outshoot what my eyes can do with open sights. Sighting it in it seems to shoot a couple inches at 100yd with open sights, I took a shot at 150yd after and it was 6" low and 1" right of center, that told me enough for what I needed from it. Would be interesting to put a scope on it to really see what its capable of but I got a lot of other shooting data on other rifles to tune in so its pretty low priority.

I hear ya. Gotta spend time with all of them to keep them in line you know! :D

I'd take what I have now, but I'm always looking for better. But like you, 3" at 100 yards with open sights is about all I can expect. Having a scope on the rifle for now (TX ML deer season, with saboted bullets) gave me the opportunity to test some full bore rounds for the fall CO elk season with a bit more precision than I'm used to with open sights. So I figured I'd take advantage of it and find my best elk bullet before the hotter summer temps arrive.