Optimal Caliber/barrel length/twist for copper ammo for up to elk sized game.

Dinger

WKR
I'd put optimal impact velocity in front of most considerations for mono's. Work backwards from there to get the best combo at the max range you are comfortable taking game at. I went back and read the first post again.

FWIW I've put more than a few deer, pigs, goats etc on the deck with TTSX's in .30 cal and 8mm....I like 2400fps plus at point of impact. Less than that generally wont give full expansion, animals will still die, they just might take a bit longer to stop. And obviously the further away the animals is the more problematic that can become.

If I can get a hold of Hammers I'd like to run them through a few dozen animals to test their expansion claims.

Tmac

WKR
Have tried the .277 129gr. LRX in two 270’s. Both 10 twists, one loves them, one does not. I’d shoot them and let the gun tell me.

I'd look at the cutting edge lazer 7mm 145 gr and pick the headstamp and barrel most appropriate for your own application. Start at 280ai or 7 SAUM and go up in case size if you so desire.

So I looked at Barnes new LRX 270 bullet in 129gr...looks like elevations under 7000ft this bullet is only "marginally stable" with a 1:10 twist....do you have any thoughts or info about other monos which might be better suited for the 1:10?
I've retired a few of my whiz bang magnums and have been pretty much 270 exclusive for the past few seasons, all of which have been well above 10k and every time I've pulled the hook it's hit exactly where I'm aiming...... 130 gr ttsx's in a 1:10

OP
Str8shooter
I've retired a few of my whiz bang magnums and have been pretty much 270 exclusive for the past few seasons, all of which have been well above 10k and every time I've pulled the hook it's hit exactly where I'm aiming...... 130 gr ttsx's in a 1:10

What rifle are you shooting? Taking any elk with this round? I live in CO and 90% of my hunts are over 7k ft where it appears that bullet will stabilize...but pronghorn and plains whitetail are around 3500ft...

tikka t3 & swfa...... only 2 elk so far (among others) with the barnes. right around 10.5-11K. One lodged offside shoulder, the other was 2 shots and 4 holes..... all right where the crosshairs were pointed.

I have shot it a bunch at 1000-3000ft ASL and it drives them into a ragged hole. For that matter it doesn't appear to dislike anything. Even cheap win softpoints, whitetail, corelokt, etc...

Last edited: