Optimus Crux vs Soto OD-1R Cold weather performance

brewer427

WKR
My cousin is looking into buying a new cook stove and was wanting to know how the soto compares to Optimus when it comes to cold weather. He's planning a two week trip in November in Montana. I only have experience with the Crux not the Soto. So I figured I would ask you gents if one works better in the cold then the other?

My cousin is looking into buying a new cook stove and was wanting to know how the soto compares to Optimus when it comes to cold weather. He's planning a two week trip in November in Montana. I only have experience with the Crux not the Soto. So I figured I would ask you gents if one works better in the cold then the other?

I've got both. The Soto works noticeably better below 40F, but if it gets really cold (<15F), they both suck. Flame control is a bit better on the Soto if that matters. The Crux has a better pot holder system IMO. It's just about a coin toss between the two otherwise.

Not sure what November weather looks like in MT, but I'd be looking for something either liquid fueled or an an inverted canister stove if it is below freezing most of the time. You can (and I have) make the uprights work in the snow, but it's a hassle and not something I'd want to mess with every day for two weeks.

Yk

OP
brewer427

brewer427

WKR
Not sure what November weather looks like in MT, but I'd be looking for something either liquid fueled or an an inverted canister stove if it is below freezing most of the time. You can (and I have) make the uprights work in the snow, but it's a hassle and not something I'd want to mess with every day for two weeks.
Yk

That's exactly what I told him but he just a argued and said they take up to much room and wants something smaller. So I figured he'll find out the hard way, cause it will be colder then crap during the end of November, but at least then he will no better next time.

Appreciate the response YK, I'll let him know.

So, the additional 2 cu in and 3 oz of a remote canister stove is too much for him? :) sure sure.

I've done all the tricks to keep an upright canister running in the cold. Sticking a steel canister in your armpit or sleeping bag is SOOO not worth it, and only works for about 3 min anyway. If he's stuck on an upright then SOTO for sure, but at some point you can't fight physics. Down to 20F degrees or so he will be fine.

Yk

Beendare

WKR
I'd be looking for something either liquid fueled or an an inverted canister stove if it is below freezing most of the time. You can (and I have) make the uprights work in the snow, but it's a hassle and not something I'd want to mess with every day for two weeks. Yk

Good advice, my crux is a PITA in cold winter........time for the whisperlite then