Zeiss Conquest V4 vs Swarovski Z3 Wet Weather Performance

wlibby

FNG
I'm looking at the two subject scopes as options to go on a new deer rifle for next season. Wanting to hear opinions from folks that have used them. Do you find yourselves having to keep the lenses covered or apply any water repellant/anti fog product, or can you just hunt in any conditions without worry?

I currently have a Trijicon Accupoint on my rifle, and love the scope. My only real complaint is its performance in wet conditions. I have to regularly check and wipe down the lenses. Mine is bad about fogging up/having water build up and stick to the point where it clouds up (this is just on the outside of the lens).

Has anyone used either of the two subject scopes in wet, foggy, or otherwise nasty conditions (both hot and cold) and able to comment on the performance? If the wet weather performance is much better than the Trijicon, I'll probably give one of the others a shot (they should have slightly better glass). If it'll be right on par, may stick with what I know.

Following this. I have a V4 I haven’t used much yet, I did have an issue with one of my Leupold’s fogging repeatedly during one of those clammy, cold, dew point days.

I have a couple of the flip open shoot through lens caps, wonder if they would work in situations where you don’t need to make a very fast shot.

OP
W

wlibby

FNG
I started a similar thread on another site and 90% of folks were saying some sort of scope cover was the only real fix. Only 1 person that commented actually mentioned owning any of the scopes in question though.

I can tell a big deference in the wet weather performance of the Trijicon vs all the cheap scopes I've owned.. maybe just wishful thinking that i can spend my way out of the problem with a more expensive optic.

I definitely think the lens coatings play a role in preventing fogging. I’ve never had an issue with my Leupold’s besides it fogging for a few minutes going from inside the truck or camp outdoors besides that one day.

It was the sort of thing where it felt like if you stuck your hand out long enough water would just start dripping off it eventually.

OP
W

wlibby

FNG
Yea I know what you mean, that's the kind of weather the Trijicon acted up in. Those might just be scope cover kind of days.

handwerk

WKR
i use quite a few z3’s and they have done well in very wet conditions w/o issue.
I do use the provided bikini covers as needed. I am a big fan of Swaro’s 4a reticle.

Despotes

FNG
My Swarovski Z3 did fog once in very cold conditions from my breath. There must be anti-fog wipes you can use before hand.

RyGuy88

FNG
My Swarovski Z3 did fog once in very cold conditions from my breath. There must be anti-fog wipes you can use before hand.
Check out fog-stopper or similar brands (must be AR compatible) I use it on my glasses and all the lenses (not the objective lenses) in my optics to keep from fogging up.