Oregon Archery Elk 2024

For the past 4 years i've been hunting murderers creek up in the strawberry mountains hiking 5-10 miles a day & all i can seem to find is other hunters, like way to many hunters in those 4 years ive seen 7 cows & 1 bull.

This year i want to try something new & go up to the starkey unit, what do yall think, not asking for any locations or anything just wanted to know if yall think its worth for a switch up, i know theres a ton of hunters in that unit aswell, but looks alot bigger & easier to get away from the people!

OP
loganjames43
it is, predicted odds are 100% draw rate resident with 0 points, but not gonna belive that, fall back is probaly gonna be snake river.

IDVortex

WKR
Well, ive hunted the Ukiah, would do it more but with being a NR no desire to much anymore. But up in the NE, you'll have just as much of pressure too. Go scout. And see what you like.

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
it is, predicted odds are 100% draw rate resident with 0 points, but not gonna belive that, fall back is probaly gonna be snake river.
Why not just make snake river your first choice. Plenty of country in there to avoid the people. Starkey is a tough one, as not many places get you way out there, but their are a few. Unfortunately 5-10 miles a day puts in the same shoes as the majority of the other hunters, so running into people in that window is inevitable.

Marble

WKR
I think you will have the same success in either unit. If someone were to scout out lovmcations and put cameras up, you would see what's there and then be able to narrow down where to concentrate.

I ran into a few issues while hunting there.

1. Lots of hunters. And they didn't leave trails/roads for the most part.

2. Lots of cattle.

3. People driving on closed roads.

4. Animals that were not vocal.

5. There were wolves in the area I was in. I sat tracks and ran into one guy who had just seen one.

If I were to hunt there again, I would bring my mountain bike again. I would be able to cover so much more ground.

I did kill a bull that I located and hunted for about 2 weeks of and on. He would be close and only raked one time. Eventually, I caught him in the right mood and he came in pissed ready to fight.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Baddog

WKR
I’d have moved on 3 years ago! You could try moving out of the strawberries to somewhere else in the unit as well…

OP
loganjames43
Why not just make snake river your first choice. Plenty of country in there to avoid the people. Starkey is a tough one, as not many places get you way out there, but their are a few. Unfortunately 5-10 miles a day puts in the same shoes as the majority of the other hunters, so running into people in that window is inevitable.
yeah, i fall bear hunted there, and man it was intense, we spotted a bear right off the overlook, stalked halfway down, and it disapeared into the bottom to never come out again. It took nearly 6 hours of legit rock climbing to get out of there, climbing with crumbling rock & a big pack was not so fun. Elk wise ima stick to the other side down towards the imanaha if i follow throught with it.

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you have nothing to loose changing what your doing. When we have gotten away from humans finally we have found wolves and no elk. If you can find no people no wolves but elk that’s a great spot!

OP
loganjames43
Sounds like you have nothing to loose changing what your doing. When we have gotten away from humans finally we have found wolves and no elk. If you can find no people no wolves but elk that’s a great spot!
I did some scouting/bear hunting in the imnaha last year & glassed up a wolf, hot on a deers trail. After seeing what they did in idaho to the unit my grandparents live in not so happy about it but thats oregon for you