Oregon sw spring bear

Oregon

WKR
As a long time bear hunter told me years ago.
“You know the bears are there, you just have to be there when they are”
It really is that simple. My spring bear mantra is “go as often as I can”.
Good job on sticking with it, if I see sign in an area I can look though binoculars, I’ll go every chance I get. Blind squirrels find nuts frequently if they root constantly where nuts fall out of trees.

mmitc120

FNG
Well took the 6 hour drive Wednesday night after work got to trail head at 3 am set the alarm for 5 got up and still hunted through the burn area my son and I found about a month ago that had lots of bear sign had a good steady wind in my face. Glassed a bear at 455yards in front of me watched it about 15 min feeding over into the next little drainage it looked pretty good but at that distance and it being only the 3rd bear I seen this year I wasn’t sure. So I hiked uphill to try and gain a bit of elevation on it and side hilled so I could see over the fold. Stood and watched for awhile and he fed out of the fold so I could see him. Took off my pack and watched another 10 min. I think you all are right you can try and talk yourself into making a small or medium bear big but when you see a big one it’s obvious😊. His belly was barely off the ground his ears were wide and small he swayed when he walked. I double lunged him at 185 yards. He ran 20-30 yards uphill then turned and started running downhill so I shot again like ppl say keep shooting until they go down. Thanks for all the ppl who put out knowledgeable info that helped me become successful. Paw is just over5” skinned out he was over 6’ biologist said he was pretty old one of his canines is broken off and most of his molars are missing

Way to go, sounds like a great hunt and an incredible animal.

SamG

FNG
Hey OP, I am trying to plan a spring bear hunt in the Kalmiopsis. I was just wondering if you would be willing to PM me any tips or tricks you learned while you were out there! I'd really appreciate it. It's quite daunting looking at that whole area on OnX trying to find South facing ridges that area somewhat accessible! Especially being 6 hours away from it. lol

Thank you sir!

TStramp

FNG
Just got back from wilderness hunt with my son. We found 1 great food source with tons of sign but ended up walking through it on the trail on the way in to our onyx map destination which tuned out to not be a good. So we camped and glassed. Spent the whole next day glassing and still hunting our way up into the top of the nice area riddled with bear sign. And watched it till about 730 pm. But no bears came out. Do you guys think if you walk through an area they will blow out for days? It is the best food source around for quite a ways. I also want opinions on these scat piles we found. 3 of them all the same age 2 extremely large piles side by side almost touching and then what I would call a cub pile 8” away. Seemed weird like 2 large bears and 1 cub. Idk?? Is it bears or deer that eat all the new leaves off the rhododendrons?
I am planning a similar trip this year to Kalmiopsis Wilderness to hunt bear. I plan on doing a several day backpacking trip in April based on what I see a longer hunt in May. Did end making the trip into the wilderness or hunt clear cuts like everyone recommended?